“Smelled of Cabbage!”

MyLaoHome Xayana Guesthouse
Ranked #190 of 267 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I checked in here initially for one night before going to elephant camp for two days. They informed me that they had a room, but no dorm space (which I now know was a lie). The room was pretty poor for the price I was paying.

On checking out, I told them I would be returning in two days, and asked if it would be possible to book a dorm bed. I was told no, but I could book it on the internet - the internet connection in the communal area was sporadic at best - to which I argued logic. Eventually, and after much reluctance on the part of the staff member I parted with some money and the dubious promise that there was a bed for me. I wasn't overly optimistic.

I returned from elephant camp and thankfully had a bed. Yay! The dorm itself was okay - freezing cold, because obviously I was sharing with eskimos - and the bed seemed huge. This was all positive, but unfortunately, the room smelled of cabbage. It was so bad that someone moved to a different guesthouse to escape the smell.

We did complain, but got some shrugs in return.

Again, on a positive note, it was in a great location - just around the corner from the fabulous Joma bakery and a few minutes stroll from the night market - and the sociable area was quite fun. I met loads of fantastic people and actually stayed 8 days, so it had it's upside.

It did smell of cabbage though. And was run by logically challenged staff.

Room Tip: I think the upstairs dorms smelled less cabbagey.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jay M

Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

The rooms were filthy and infested with bugs. There was a time during our stay when ants were crawling one of the walls and I complained to the staff. He took care of them for us but threw their dead remains in our waste basket. How disgusting!
The bathroom has broken floor tiles that we almost slipped over. The drain would easily get flooded. Not even worth the money you pay.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Perfect little spot with good social vibe.

Stayed in the bunks, which had plenty of room for storing your stuff close by (ie personal light and powerpoint for charging). Downside, the two toilets and two showers lead straight off the rooms themselves causing that 'sewer smell' we all come to love.

Pretty sure the cleaner goes through your bags. So be extra careful of belongings. You can lock things up in a locker downstairs but will not have overnight access to this space.

The staff only assist you in check in and outs. Do not expect any other type of advice.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Dont go there! The rooms are cheap but very poor quality and bars in windows. I had bedbugs in my bed and got bitten terribly. You can get much better place for the same price in the guesthouses nearby. At least they gave me small discount for my laundry.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ewelina K
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We stayed at Xayana in the private four bed room which was actually a massive room with a private bathroom and AC and fans. The room was super cheap, the cheapest we could find in the area and the location is perfect. Althought the service provided is very poor and the staff were less than helpful in every way possible. However, the private room was really spacious and clean and super good if your on a budget.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Location is also awesome. The dorms are relatively nice with a good amount of space, AC, fans, huge beds, outlets & lights located at each. But BEDBUGS. I myself was skeptical. But more than one person fell victim. And one girl caught one in her bed. So we have physical - now squished - proof. Plenty of other great options down the alley, esp if you're sharing costs.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Pre-arranged airport pickup did not turn up. Staff were friendly but often absent. Room had dirty walls. No toilet seat. Another said dorm room needed fumigation. Over the road is better although more expensive

• Stayed: April 2013