“No Service”
Review of Villa Le Tam Tam

Villa Le Tam Tam
Ranked #62 of 269 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I made reservations at Villa Le Tam Tam and was specifically told I would be picked up at the airport. Like the experience of another reviewer here, they did not bother to show up even though I had emailed my flight itinerary. The hotel is not trustworthy. I ended up staying at the Mekong River View Hotel which actually provides good and punctual service.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank mapy d

Reviewed 30 December 2011

We stayed here for 6 nights in a triple sharing room. The room lights were dim, shower head water pressure was not even and was weak. Although the guesthouse faces a small lane, somehow the lane was not a quiet lane. We could hear the start of motorbike engines and people talking in the early hours probably after their heavy drinking from our room. Service provided was basically just house keeping and did not include breakfast. There were two staff manning the front desk, one was quite helpful but the other almost always replied with "don't know". After we could not get information on laundry service timing, we walked to the next lane and found a guesthouse which did a great laundry job for us at 8000kip per kg. This was much cheaper than 20000kip per kg printed on the guesthouse information sheet. Although the room is very clean, given the lack of service and the rate we paid, we would not be a returning guest to this guesthouse.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank caion
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Luang Prabang is a really cosy place and deserves a longer stay. We found Le TamTam by accident. It was just perfect as our home base: quiet, clean, some luxury after some months of travelling, and a very friendly staff. Especially, when like we, the most we desire is to have our own space. So more than a kind chat with the boys doing the reception, we did not need. We saw it as an advantage that this little, but new, guesthouse, does not offer a lot of services outside cleaning, and laundry. Luang Prabang is so beautifull, this gets you out to town for breakfast,and booking of trips. And that town is just around the corner: 100m to the Mekong, 100m tot the post office and the night market. Only 8 rooms, they are such oriented we hardly noticed the other guests.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lieven M
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Before getting to Laos, I booked a night at this guest house. My friend & I enjoyed it so much - that we ended up staying there for an entire week. The location couldn't be better, it's within walking distance to everything in the old city, very close to the night markets, and other than getting to the airport, you won't need to get a tuk tuk (cab). Great for people who want to explore the city by foot. If you want to venture further out, right across the street they have bike rentals for 20,000 kip (about $2.50 USD) for 12 hours. With the weather being so warm in July, I appreciated the air conditioning & fridge. Despite it's great location, it's on a quiet street, just off the beaten path & a half block from the Mekong River. We enjoyed the private patio off our room. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: for a few dollars more per day, get a deluxe room with a private patio.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank RAE80
Reviewed 1 May 2011

This is a nice place. It's fairly new, so that helps with the cleanliness factor I guess, but even so, the cleaner did seem to spend a long time each day cleaning the room and that was appreciated. The location is pretty handy and because it's down a side-street there is minimal noise. It's a small place, but I didn't really see many other guests. There is no breakfast, but the popular Joma Cafe around the corner is a very nice brekky. My only gripes would be 1. The towel rack that kept falling off the wall and making a horrendous sound. 2. The transfer to the airport that didn't really happen, despite my booking it an hour in advance. I ended up having to just hail a tuk tuk (rikshaw) and got a bit wet on my way to the airport as it was raining. Obviously a lot of anxiety is caused when your transport to get to a flight doesn't show up, so this was a real letdown after what was actually a pretty good stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Squirrelsontour
Reviewed 23 April 2011

Not to be confused with the Tam Tam guesthouse in themain street this pleasant guest house is in a quiet side street on the western edge of the peninsula.
It's within easy walking distance of everything you'll want to see, riverfront restaurants are about 50 metres down the hill, the main street is about 75 metres the other way and there's a well stocked convenience store on the corner.

The building is quite new, rooms are of a good size, are clean, very comfortable and contain a fridge, flatscreen TV with cable and there's in room wi fi.

Staff are both friendly and helpful. When I returned after a few daysup the Nam Ou river I was greeted as an old friend and I really did feel that I was back at home. In less busy times room rates may be less than those shown on the web site.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 October 2010

set in a quiet street, but still only 30 meters from the river and about 200 meters from the night market - excellent location. the room is nicely decorated and quiet big. staff is helpful (but sometimes the front desk woman is sleeping in the middle of the day...). great place to stay while visiting Luang Prabang. try to negotiate the price. i paid only 20 us $ a night in the low season, instead of 30.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo