“Tasty pho & fried spring rolls”

Tamnak Lao Restaurant
Ranked #45 of 201 Restaurants in Luang Prabang
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Hermosa Beach
“Tasty pho & fried spring rolls”
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Ate lunch here & liked it. Fried spring rolls are highly recommended.... Very tasty!

We were in the mood for something different after quite a bit of Lao & Thai food. Pho is not 100% traditional, missing plate of basil/ veggies & chili / hoisin sauces, but the broth was comforting on chilly day. Very healthy & tasty!

Also loving the Lao dark beer.... Everywhere.

• Thai first
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Over-priced and over-hyped”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We read about this restaurant in a guide book and it had a positive review. However, on our visit there we found the food to be bland, beige, and over-priced. The chicken dish that I ordered looked like something you would pour out of a silver rectangular takeaway carton at 1am on a Saturday night. The other dish we ordered had so much batter we couldn't taste the pork that was supposed to be inside. Service was friendly but really slow. All in all very disappointing considering the general high quality of food elsewhere in Luang Prabang.

• Visited September 2013
New York City, New York
“Ingredients:(”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The kitchen was not cooperative when I pointed out that the vegetables were of a mixed quality which was especially obvious with the color of the eggplants. The broth was spicy but did not have any flavor. I had to ask for ginger, and it came with dried out ends and unwashed! The portion was small, and it surely did not offer the variety of the beautiful vegetables available in the local markets!

Bangkok, Thailand
“Very good restaurant”
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

Situated in a good location in a nice building. Food is delicious comparing to others in the same area. They also have a variety of food choices (western included).

The negative was the service is very slow. And we were the only table there at the moment - we ordered a cup of ice and it took ages until they finally gave it to us. Also, I ordered spaghetti with beef sauce, instead they gave me Cabonarra. By the time the food arrived ..it was half and hour pass from the order time so I didn't want to change nor complain. Cabonarra is fine, it is just beef sauce could be better. A little bit irritate with slow service. But the taste makes up for that.

Traditional Laos food are offered here too, and of course, the taste is delicious!

London, United Kingdom
“The best restaurant in Luang Prabang”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I am surprised Tamnak Lao ranks so low here. The food is absolutely delicious and the portions are large, just the way I like it. I have been visiting Luang Prabang for over thirteen years and can safely say I have had the best Lao food ever on my first visit to this place just a week ago. I only went at the insistence of a friend who loved his food here. The decor is very Lao and simple and not trendy like other eateries nearby which are all foreign owned, but the food they produce here is just superb. Their Sai Uaa (pork sausages) are exceptional, all moist and fresh (one can see the staff making them daily in the outdoor kitchen). I adore their fried aubergine with minced pork. The service is not the best when I was there. I assume the manager was on holiday. Lao restaurant staff do no expect a tip so service in Lao restaurants are never as good as in other countries. But do not be put off by this. I go for the food and this place ranked as one of the best ethnic meals I have ever had. The prices are also very good. So-called trendy restaurants in Luang Prabang will change you the double than Tamnak Lao and serve you less food.

2 Thank Harold B