“Like home”

Ranked #7 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Hongkong
“Like home”
Reviewed 6 October 2010

We have travelled extensively round the world but no where we have stayed compares to the belle rive. The moment you walk into the lobby all the stress of the long distant flights disappears and peacefulness envelops you, with tranquility. The rooms are up to standard and nothing sems too much trouble for the efficient and friendly staff. It is situated within minutes walk the night market and the ethnic morning market, 5 minutes walk to the next massage and easy walk to the many tempels. We stayed 8 days in September which is a great time as Luang Prabang belongs more or less to yourself, the manager told us that towards the end of the year Luang Prabang fills up with travellers. We are looking forward to go back for two weeks next year and a big part of the trip will be relaxing over looking the mekong with a nice drink.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Markmicheltravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
washington dc
Reviewed 29 September 2010

I have no idea where the last reviewer stayed but I can hardly believe that it was the Belle Rive. I was there this summer with my 17 y/o daughter and my sister in law and I cannot begin to do justice to our exceptional experience with words.
First, Paul and El are just lovely people - kind, smart, fun and very, very accommodating. Mr Chancey was a God-send. All the staff were helpful and anticipated our wishes without being overbearing or forced.
The rooms and common spaces were so clean I would have eaten off of any flat surface including the floor, and nicely laid out. We stayed in two different rooms because we kept extending - which Paul and El took totally in stride despite, I am sure, not inconsiderable inconvenience as the hotel appeared full. Because we were traveling with my daughter we needed an extra bed and the staff made the most charming little private space for her that you ever saw. And personally, I really liked the bathrooms.
Small touches were everywhere - for example, Paul and El personally hand select the fruit for the rooms and every piece was fresh and delicious, not merely ornamental. Laundry was efficient and reasonable. Recommendations for dining and sight seeing were spot on and genuinely considered the needs of our unusual traveling group.
My only complaint about the BelleRive is that I ever had to leave. Oh, and I wish I had written this sooner, but sometimes we pay for long vacations with long stints at the office....
Bon Voyage and enjoy your stay - wish I was there with you!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank BabaB50
Orange County
Reviewed 15 September 2010

We reserved this hotel for three nights based on its top rating on Trip Adviser. I was amazed to find that it has a shower stall right inside the front door of the room, and no bathtub. The owners advertise on their website that this is a "luxury" hotel, but it is no more than a modest 2 star property. Overall, I found it depressing. I chose to go to another hotel. The BelleRive stung me for the full price of the room for the night, even though I did not stay there more than five minutes, and explained exactly what was wrong. It was low season and the hotels are all half empty in Luang Prabang this time of year, so they were not losing any business. The owner made a comment that I went to the LaResidence because they have a swimming pool, but that was not at all the case. I went for its bathtub, though I must say I found its fresh, bright ambiance very pleasing. I am too busy sight-seeing to use swimming pools, but I like a long soak in the tub at night when I travel. I had a great time in Luang Prabang, and I'm glad I made the decision to switch hotels.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank Shojin
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 2 September 2010

We stayed on the corner room of the main house and it was wonderful, with great view over the Mekong river. Also, all the staff is great.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 6 August 2010

We had a delightful stay at the Belle Rive. It was low season, so there were hardly any other people at the hotel. We stayed in Frangipani 4, which is next door to the "main" house. The room was fantastic, large, and it was very quiet. The air conditioning was extra powerful, which we were thankful for since it was sweltering hot by 7am every morning.

Our favorite features of the hotel were the breakfast outside by the river (included), and the free use of bicycles and internet. The ability to borrow the Belle Rive's bikes was amazing - there are plenty of places to rent bikes in Luang Prabang, but not having to schlep across town to pick them up was huge.

The hotel is a little bit expensive for Laos, but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ahartmann2007
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2010

The Bellerive lives up to it's top billing on Tripadvisor. Our room was charming, with plenty of little details that would not look out of place at a Four Seasons. The staff were all delightful and very helpful, doing everything to make our stay a pleasure. The location is also superb, with lovely river views from our balcony and just round the corner from the morning alms-giving procession. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Belle Rive for four nights at the end of April 2010. We had a lovely stay at the hotel and thoroughly enjoyed Luang Prabang. No need to re-state in detail all the wonderfully written and effusive previous praise for the hotel - we agree with and can confirm all of it. I cannot compare the room rates at the Belle Rive to other places in Luang Prabang, but if it is in your price range, it is good value for money and there is no reason to go anywhere else if you like a boutique independent feel, with warm and welcoming hosts, and an incredible attention to detail and service. A few other comments:

- Our stay: was exactly what we expected and hoped it would be. We had room #4 in the second building, on the first floor (second if you're American!) with a separate entrance up a flight of stairs (for our room and one other). The size of the room was ample and all the furnishings stylish yet comfortable. One of our favorite aspects of the room was the arctic air conditioning unit which worked beautifully - this was important as temperatures rose to a humid 35 degrees Celsius during our stay. Our room was very clean and quiet and the attention to detail very high in terms of day-to-day maintenance and care of the common areas and rooms. At one point our in-room safe stopped working - Ell had a new one installed right away with a smile. She and Paul do an excellent job of keeping everything in tip top shape, despite the challenges of operating in one of the poorest countries in the world. We loved not having a television in our room but did not totally unplug as we very much enjoyed the free wifi in the room.

- Location: the hotel is wonderfully located in terms of views of the Mekong River and accessibility to the main attractions in Luang Prabang. Most things are in walking distance but due to the heat, we found ourselves cycling on the bicycles available at the hotel instead. We very much enjoyed exploring the town and wats with the bicycles. Be forewarned that the rules of the road in Laos are...well, I have no idea what the rules are - there don't seem to be any! If other guests get to the bikes first, it is easy to walk up to the main road and rent bikes for a few bucks an hour.

- Mekong river trips: (1) Ell arranged a longtail river boat outing for us to the Pak Ou caves. We were thrilled to have our own driver and boat and enjoyed the trip on the river as much as the destination. It is a great way to see life on the banks of the Mekong from water buffalo wallowing in the shallows to escape the flies and heat, fishermen with their gossamer nets, women and children bathing or washing clothes or even panning for gold. We enjoyed both of the caves (do climb the stairs to the upper cave) and the mysterious, silent, cobwebbed Buddhas. (2) Ell also arranged a boat trip down the Mekong (even better than the first day's trip) to a village where we then drove 20 minutes to the beautiful Kuang Si Waterfalls. I'm not sure how the drive usually goes, but a sense of adventure and humour was required for our trip, which was absolutely fine by us as veteran travellers, but may not have been so fun for the less experienced or more pampered traveller. The waterfalls were absolutely stunning - multiple layers and tiers of waterfalls and the most inviting swimming holes in a beautiful, serene almost rainforest setting. Ell packed a bag with towels and chilled water for us, both of which came in handy. There probably are tour operators in town that might give a slightly better price than what we paid, but we were happy to go on our own time schedule and have these quiet, low-key outings to ourselves.

Massage: of course we had to sample a traditional Lao massage! Ell recommended the Spa Garden around the corner from the Belle Rive where an hour massage costs about USD7. Lao massages are excellent involving a combination of stroking, kneading, stretching, percussive striking and pressure points. There are tempting multiple treatment packages lasting from 2-4 hours, also very reasonably priced. Worth noting for Westerners and requiring a slight sense of adventure and open-mindedness: the concept of privacy in southeast Asian spas is slightly different from what Westerners may be accustomed to. (1) there are few private treatment rooms - for example it is quite common for one large room to be partitioned by curtains or screens, so other guests may be as close as a meter away, which can be entertaining or uncomfortable, depending on your need for privacy; and (2) personal space is optional - one massage involved the masseuse sitting on me for parts and, for oil massages, whatever isn't covered is fair game. Traditional Lao top and comfy trousers are provided for the traditional Lao massage, so no worries there if you're at all squeamish.

Food: We tried a number of eating establishments close to the hotel including the Tamarind (inexpensive, casual, good authentic local fare), L'Elephant (expensive, more upscale, average to poor food for the price paid), and the Coconut Garden (we liked it enough we went twice - reasonably priced, casual but with lovely courtyard garden dining featuring fountains and paper lanterns - ask to go to the quiet back courtyard away from street noise, great and authentic local fare). We loved the food in Laos - laap kai with sticky rice quickly became one of our favorites washed down with a cold Beerlao. Please try the bottled Beerlao whatever you do. It is absolutely delicious. On a particularly hot evening, in one of our more inspired moments, we asked the waiter at the Coconut Garden to put our large Beerlao bottle in a champagne ice bucket for maximum enjoyment of every drop (which, by the way, goes really nicely with the sundried water buffalo with garlic and chili). We also ate at the Belle Rive restaurant - I had the shrimp with chili and basil noodles, which was simple, fresh and delicious.

Attractions: do go out and find out as much as possible about the wonderful and diverse Lao people and traditions! The Traditional Arts and Ethnology Center does a good job - support their efforts. Check out the Belle Rive hotel guest directory section on the monks and the daily receiving of the alms - it is a privilege to witness or take part in this activity but is important to treat their ritual with respect.

All in all, we had an enchanting and relaxing stay at the Belle Rive and would definitely recommend it! There may be a third building coming online in the future, depending on how discussions progress with the UNESCO World Heritage folks. Not sure what the implications would be for construction/rennovation noise - so it might be worth asking for a room on the opposite end of the hotel!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple