“LARGE ROOMS OVERPRICED”

Ranked #169 of 264 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
australia
“LARGE ROOMS OVERPRICED”
Reviewed 24 November 2012

We stayed here for five nights in October 2012. It's very basic for the price but has large rooms.
We had a problem with air conditioning in both rooms as we had to have a fan going as well to keep cool, I think there has been some sort of fiddling been done so you can't make it cooler.
The manager and assistant were very nice & helpful.
The bathroom is terrible for this price and needs updating urgently. The good points for this place is the view upstairs and the location, it is close to everything.
It's not worth the price compared to other places we have stayed at. I would not recommend this place.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else. Upstairs rooms are quite large but basic.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kevino8

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed 17 November 2012

Second time we have stayed at Sopha. Excellent location with a river view but just a short walk to the main street. There are rooms from basic to very comfortable at a price to suit all. The staff were very friendly and made us very welcome and at home, the big advantage of a Home Stay. Rooms are clean, the balcony excellent.
Turn left when walking out and follow the river to the last riverside cafe, excellent cheap food and great breakfast.

Room Tip: Budget rooms downstairs are fine, one has a/c the others a fan, upstairs rooms very nice.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Sopha House has a great location in Luang Prabang, just off the main street. There are only a small number of rooms and our room was on the ground floor, I think the nicer and bigger rooms are on the first floor. There was always someone there, so it was very safe and secure. The rooms were simple and had a fan and hot shower. They organised a pick up from the airport for us, which was very handy. If you're arranging a taxi back from Luang Prabang to the airport it shouldn't cost you any more than 40,000 kip (negotiate down to that!). The hotel also had free wifi. The only issue I had was some noise as the room was right on the road, scooters going up and down from early can be pretty noisy, so just pack some ear plugs.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms are nicer and bigger. They all face onto the road, so bring ear plugs!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I had 3 nights here in one of the two upper floor rooms. Huge room with separate sitting room area, fridge, tv and effective a/c. Balcony area outside with lovely views over the Nam Khan river. Great for an early morning or evening drink.
There was a slight mix-up on arrival as they didn't seem to have my booking, but a quick call to the boss seemed to sort this out. Based on this and my smooth check out and their generally friendly manner, the staff were great.
Location was perfect. Close to but away from the hustle and bustle of the main street. Nice cafes, restaurants and bars a short walk in all directions.

Wouldn't hesitate to stay here and again and would recommend to others.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 January 2012

We had a very spacious room on the upper floor. It felt very clean, and the staff was friendly. I liked the location - it was easy to walk to the street market, the river, and around town. We went on a three-day village trek (through Tiger Trails - also recommended) while Sopha House kept our bags, and we came back and stayed in the same room for a couple more nights upon our return. We had some geckos in our room, but that's true of a number of the places we stayed in on our trip, and I like geckos, so it didn't bother me (they do chirp and leave little mouse-like poops, though!).

Room Tip: We enjoyed our room on the upper floor.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed 31 December 2011

I love this place.
I love the people here.
I love friendship.
I feel good every time I think about it.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank tumrak
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 December 2011

My friends and I spent six nights at Sopha House, occupying both of the second-floor rooms. From the moment we were greeted on arrival by the ever-smiling Mr. Thong we found Sopha House delightful -- conveniently situated with a gorgeous view over the Nam Khan, quiet, comfortable, and thoroughly charming. I should note that the room charge doesn't include breakfast, but there are numerous cafes within easy walking distance. The main tourist street is a block away, and many of the major wats are nearby, but heavy foot traffic is absent from Sopha House's immediate surroundings. I would definitely stay there again -- and I hope to do so.

Room Tip: I'd recommend the second floor for the view.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends