“back again and this time I stayed in the lap of luxury” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Apsara Rive Droite

The Apsara Rive Droite
Ranked #26 of 70 Hotels in Luang Prabang
staffordshire
“back again and this time I stayed in the lap of luxury”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

I love the Apsara so i couldn't resist in giving its sister hotel the Rive Droite a bash. Gosh It was lovely. I could have stayed in bed all day, if they pool wasn't so inviting. As I'd been to Lunag Prabang before i didn't feel the need to do a lot of sight seeing so this was a perfect place to be. I could get the boat over when I felt like it, or just lie in a heap. The food is as good as the Apsara Restaurant, and the staff are lovely. I was there on my own and they took extra care of me which is always nice. Also they had a small but good library so there was lots to read.

Room Tip: up to you, upstairs have a better view over the greenery, downstairs are nearer to the pool.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank bettystaffs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2011

The arrival to the Apsara Rive Droite - by small private boat ride across the river, and the climb through manicured allotments, which at night are lit by lanterns, is truly magical. The hotel itself, when you finally reach it, is not a disappointment! The service at this hotel was first class, the staff bent over backwards for us and were always smiling - nothing was a problem - from checking-in at 07.00 when we arrived off a night-bus from Vientiane to an evening check-out to coincide with another night-bus (all at no extra cost) to providing us with a wealth of local area knowledge. The beds are the best we have found in our 6 weeks traveling around SE Asia, and the breakfast was fantastic - big fan of the ever changing home-made jams! We also stayed at the "Apsara One" and although some people feel the Apsara Rive Droite is a little bit removed from the town, for us this was what made it so charming! We also found a noticeable difference in service quality between the two hotels - if you can afford it I would highly recommend the Apsara Rive Droite, it's worth every penny!

Room Tip: First floor rooms with balconies give elevated views across the river and provide much more privacy...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ELJ_London
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

The hotel is small and exudes charm and a relaxed confidence. The service is really very good, better than many a Four Season and not at all interfering or in your face. We stayed in room 2, which was a lovely room on the upper floor looking over the river through palms. The rooms are furnished in dark wood and "antiques", very evocative of old French Laos. The rooms are well maintained and cared for, with no television, which you won't miss for a moment, and should you choose a nice little iPod dock to play some tunes. After a hot day of touring returning to take a dip in the pool was an absolute necessity. The breakfast is great, and I seriously rate those croissants, they rival many a Parisian patisserie.
But what really makes this a lovely place to stay, at least for us, was the sense of having the heart of Luang Prabang a 20m river crossing away and yet removed from the tourist throng. While there a few steps to go down, there is something special about crossing the water to go to town and the boatman is always on hand to bring you back. A great hotel, and my only hesitation in writing this review is to alert the world to this little gem.

Room Tip: Go upstairs and looking over the river.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

This seems to be the spin off of the old and well respected Apsara close to the main visitor areas of town. With only nine luxurious rooms it cannot be faulted for facilities: rooms large with every comfort and staff very helpful and friendly. However, most tourists probably want to spend time in town which means a short ferry shuttle until a seasonal bridge is built. Also with just nine rooms the dining room and bar are more useful for breakfast than a lively evening. Given the location and extra cost we preferred the Apsara in town.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

I have just returned after an extended stay at the Rive Droite
Simple, classic and comfortable are the words that come to mind.
It may be short of a room TV and Tea and Coffee making equipment in the rooms but more than makes up with a wonderfu quiet location and charming staff.
A nice breakfast beautifully served on the veranda made the start of every day a treat.
This Gem of a Boutique Hotel is one of the best that i have stayed at.

Room Tip: All rooms are equiped to the same standard. The upper rooms have a great view of the river. Treat y...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Peter B
Derbyshire, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

We loved the Apsara Rive Driote - our room was spacious with all mod cons and very stylishly decorated - a comfortable large balcony with table and day bed overlooked the pool.

All the staff were exceptionally helpful and provided great service. Breakfast was a delight on the small terrace with italian espresso pots and fresh juice as well as cooked to order eggs and pancakes.

The hotel is on the other bank of the river - when we were there, new steps had been built and it was fairly easy to get over the other side by the hotels own boat, however a tuk tuk is available at all times if you are not so brave! Being on the other side of the river also allows you to visit the handicraft village 2km up the road by the hotels bikes.

So why doesnt it get a 5 rating? - well the website says no kids under 12 and that the pool is for guests at the rive driote only - when we were there a family with (albeit very nice!) small children staying and guests from the Apsara were using the pool - OK it is low season, however at one point there was no room for us round the pool as it is fairly small - so we would have saved the dosh, stayed at the Apsara and used the rive droites pool if we had known this!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GSSKB
ApsaraRiveDroite, Owner at The Apsara Rive Droite, responded to this review, 16 September 2011
Thank-you for your comments. I am sorry that you were disturbed by the children around the pool which I understand is particularly irritating if the hotel advertises a "no children policy" which we do.
I understand that you checked in at short notice and as we were empty of guests that day, my manager had made an exception and allowed guests from our hotel over the river to use the pool. It was unfortunate timing and I apologise for this but normally we are strict in enforcing this rule.
Honolulu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2011

I stayed here in March 2010 shortly after this addition to the original Aspara Hotel opened. The hotel is a new concrete building and does not have the exterior woodwork and colonial feeling that you might expect in Luang Prabang. However it definitely has a chic charm. The rooms are spacious and beautifully furnished. Service is low key but excellent. Breakfast was delicious but needed more variety for people like me that stayed more than a couple days. The main reason I booked this hotel was for the pool. I was expecting hot humid days in Luang Prabang and wanted a pool to relax and cool off in. As it turned out, the weather was mild during my stay and I only swam in the pool a few times. Still, I was glad it was there. Dinner across the river at the Aspara was very good. I also enjoyed cocktail hour and some meals at the Dyen Sabai, which is sort of a backpacker's restaurant closeby on the same side of the river. Street food at the night market was also very good and very cheap. One night I decided to splurge at a fancy restaurant in town (Blue Lagoon) and that was the only time I got sick from the food! Having the river between the hotel and the town was good in that it guaranteed privacy and seclusion but it was also a sort of barrier that limited spontaneous walks into town. I enjoyed riding the hotel's bikes on both sides of the river and especially enjoyed exploring the rural dirt roads and small shops on the hotel's side. During my stay, I spent one night at an elephant training camp and the hotel graciously let me keep my bags in my room and did not charge me for that night. Overall a very positive experience which I would recommend to people seeking quiet and privacy and not traveling on a tight budget.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo