“Tiny but cozy hostel”

Luang Prabang Backpackers Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang Backpackers Hostel
Reviewed 10 November 2010

Its a small hostel with some rooms downstairs and upstairs. I was in the upper 8-bed room. The door was a bit narrow, so I could just squeeze in with my backpack. The room was very clean and had a balcony. No lockers in room. Small lockers downstairs, bring own padlock or buy one nextdoor.
Except for the owner not many of the staff spoke english. They are all studying it though, give it a year or so.
After hearing all the good stories about mr. Shampoo, I expected more. We took a trip to the gorgeous Kwan Si waterfalls, but he didnt go with us as a guide, just drove us there. And when I left to the airport he offered a ride. As I came at the airport he charged 23000 kip for it, while by street tuktuk it was only 10000 kip. Bit disappointing.
Still recommend this place because its clean, cheap, in walking distance to most sightseeings and everyone is very friendly.
Met a whole lot of fun people and went to Utopia every night ( so good!) go there for dinner or to chill out, play games or volleyball :)

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank Sora-R

Reviewed 2 June 2010

This hostel is operated by Mr.Shampoo, a really good guy. While the hostel itself is nothing special (it's clean and you have enough space, so all you need), Shampoo makes your stay out of the ordinary. He's really interested in giving his guests a good time. He went with us to a local disco, helped us taking part in the lao new year celebrations, held a bacai-ceremony for us, organized a really good pick nick at the waterfall for us at a really reasonable price and took care of all other needs. He speaks a good english and is always open for suggestions and critism.
Part of his family is leaving next door and they are also very nice people. I stayed for 7 days at the hostel and in that time they really integrated me into the family. They gave me food, beer, taught me lao card games, brought me to private parties...

Definitely one of the better places to stay in SEA and at a reasonable price for Luang Prabang, as most guesthouses cost a lot more than 5$/night!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank hmmwv
Reviewed 13 May 2010

Thank you so much for letting me stay over Lao New Year (Songkran). I had the best time ever at Luang Prabang Hostel. I loved the fact that Mr Shampoo made sure I did not get ripped off, e.g. the tuk tuk driver got paid twice when i went on my elephant ride. I happened to mention I had paid him aswell and by the time I got back from Kwangsi waterfall, Mr Shampoo hunted him down and got me my money back! Not only this, but the service was amazing- I handed laundry in before going to sleep and by the time I was up, it was washed, and dried ready for me. We also went tubing for free and spent days on Mr Shampoo's truck for no cost! The atmosphere in this hostel is brilliant, even when it can get hot - but the positives definitely weighed up for me. The fact that Mr Shampoo put people up in his own home when people were stranded over Lao New Year, I thought was a lovely touch. I enjoyed staying here so much, I decided to make the banners for the parade, which are hopefully being used now!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo