“It has a few positives but too many negatives to make it worthwhile staying here”
Review of Phasith Guesthouse

Phasith Guesthouse
Ranked #156 of 261 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 2 February 2013

As location goes the guesthouse is fairly well situated in the backpacker hub and not too far from anything in particular. The rooms, whilst basic, are fairly spacious and feature a cool deck. Yes, it can be noisy but this is Asia and you often get what you pay for.

However, the human element of the business is seriously lacking and I’m really surprised at the reviews saying how friendly they are as overall I found the staff to be impartial, indifferent and downright lazy in some cases.
I never encountered any aggressive behaviour as stated in some reviews (they were fairly pushy though) or friendly as in others but they really didn't seem that bothered that they had guests and or that into what they were doing. Aside from booking Tuk-Tuks they weren’t that knowledgeable either so I went elsewhere for answers.
There did seem to be a degree of a lack of respect for privacy as one of the staff members looked over my shoulder at my laptop the entire 15 minutes I was using it downstairs to get a better WiFi signal. I found this to be irritating as well as a security risk so I decided to go upstairs.

Concerning cleanliness my room it was never cleaned once during the entire four days I stayed there and I never got a change of towels. There’s no excuse for that and these are things you shouldn't have to request.
Like other reviews stated there seemed to be a large amount of neglect concerning maintenance and some areas looked as though they hadn't been cleaned in a long time. On checkout I'd say they change the sheets/towels, empty the bins and maybe give the room a quick 5 minute clean every so often.
As for presentation the owner/manager (I believe that’s who he is) walked around shirtless throughout the duration of my stay (I’m guessing so he could show off his Yakuza style koi tattoo) and most of the time staff looked as they just woke up so they get a big minus for that. If he put half the effort into his hotel as he did swanning around the place might be worth staying at.

Of note is they did overcharge me for laundry by a massive amount (by the lbs instead of kg) which in hindsight I believed to be a mistake but not an honest one. It also took almost four days and I had to politely remind them on the third day that I was checking out and that I needed it soon.

Overall despite the location and the cool deck it is poorly run making it distinctly unimpressive. The right management (or even a moderately professional one) could make this into something quite special though. It is overpriced for what it is and better value can be found nearby.
However, if you’re in a pinch and need a place to stay and this is your only option then you probably haven’t done too badly but don’t rely on them for anything other than the barest minimum. If other options are available then definitely go elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Reviewed 12 January 2013

We stayed here for a few days over New Years. We were first put in a noisy room with a balcony that faced the street. We liked the balcony, but even with the wooden shutters over the windows we could hear every angry dog and crying baby from 4 a.m. onwards. After a couple days we moved to a room on the back side of the guesthouse. It was much cleaner and quieter. It was a much better room, and was surprised that such a wide standard of cleanliness existed in such a small hotel. I was also surprised at how much it cost. We had come from Chiang Mai where we stayed in a far superior guesthouse for much much less.

We also payed the manager for a cab pick up to take us to the airport at 5 am. We gave him 50,000 Kip, which was about what we payed for a mini-van when we first arrived in town. What we got was a rickety motorcycle Tuk Tuk that barley held us. It was not what we thought our cab ride would be.

Overall, not a bad stay, but not sure if we we go back.

Pros: location is close to Phousi Hill, close walk to night market

Cons: much cheaper guesthouses, noisy, questionable cleanliness

Room Tip: Don't get street-facing rooms, very noisy
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 2 January 2013 via mobile

Room was nice and clean. Hotel just across from the stairs that lead to Phu Si. Owner was very friendly helping us to get a private Tuk Tuk to kuang Si waterfalls at a good rate. The one thing we didn't like was the noise, first from the bar/restaurant opposite of the hotel until midnight and then a dog barking and "crying" very loudly from 3am onwards....

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank SteWe_45
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Stayed 3 nights at Phasith Guesthouse during my recent trip to Luang Prabang. Even though I arrived close to 1am, the staff is still willing to show me the room and help me settle in before retiring for the night.

The guesthouse is lcoated at the foot of Mount Phousi, on the backstreet of Luang Prabang. Hence, away from the main crowd in the night market, but not too far a walk away (about 10 mins).

The room is clean, bathroom large and bed comfortable. It also have a balcony facing a little backyard. The balcony is an excellent place to read a book and have a cup of tea while enjoying the slow life in Luang Prabang.

The rooms have the basic essentials, hot shower, dressing table + mirror, wardrobe, wifi, TV etc. The rooms are being kept clean daily with a change of towels.

The owners and staff are accommodating with the basic request like additional hangers, calling for tuk tuk drivers. A plus for Mandarin speaking travellers, the owners can converse in quite good mandarin.

Would be more than happy to stay here again when I next visit Luang Prabang. .

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank invisible_7
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 27 December 2012

I don't know what other people experienced in this hotel, but I would never never never stay here again. My husband and I have backpacked all around the world, but I have never been charged $25 dollars in a third world country for such a dirty and noisy room. When we complained, they tried to explain that they had just renovated that bathroom, like it is my problem, and that it is not dirty, it is just the material they added in the bathroom. Right. And the owner became very aggressive when we complained and asked for a discount for the dirty room, and threatened to call the police (which we actually asked him to, but then suddenly there was no answer at the police station...). It really is a shame because the place has great potential if they tried just a little bit, for rooms at the back for sure, but the owner is just rude and really ruined our first impression of Laos. Luckily the rest of the wonderful people in Luang Prabang have changed that experience. You can find other places for this price that are much better with great service and spotless rooms. Check near the Mekong River....

Room Tip: If you insist on this place, go to the rooms on the second floor on the riverside, and insist that t...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank liranjulia

Travellers are raving about these Luang Prabang hotels

Reviewed 24 September 2012 via mobile

Stayed here twice. First was offered the last room downstairs. You would definitely want to avoid it. It smells and the floor was rather dirty. Dusty as well. Air con not really working well. Toilet was bearable. The service however, was relatively good. They are very helpful! Decided to give it another try after coming back from Nong Khiaw. This time we were offered a twin room upstairs. Nice and clean. Good air con. Has fridge, tv and absolutely no complaints this time. Located just behind the phousi hill. Short walk to sisavavong. Plenty of restaurants and bars around.

• Stayed September 2012
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Straight off the boat we followed their representative to the place. They only had a double bed and we wanted two twins. It looked lovely with a little back porch even. When they couldn't accommodate our needs, they helped us find another option for the night based on the fact that we would come back the next day and get a room upstairs with two beds. We went through the trouble to repack our bags and wait until noon to come back for the promised room. After another half hour of waiting in the lobby, the manager tells us he can't give us the upstairs room since he now has an online booking. I was so pissed off and reminded him that I even offered to give him the money yesterday to secure the room. This is not the way to do business. We had to walk around in the rain and find yet another option.

Room Tip: Upstairs would be better away from reception.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends