“Great Stay”
Review of Vangsavath Hotel

Vangsavath Hotel
Ranked #16 of 267 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We only had two days in Laos but it was a memorable stay. The owners were friendly and helpful. The rooms were welcoming and clean. We very much enjoyed our experience. Location was great and had a free shuttle to the main strip.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Vangsavath Hotel

Reviewed 8 April 2014

The best part of this hotel was the amazing service I got from the staff. I was travelling alone, and they really took their time with me, explaining everything I needed to know about Luang Prabang, and planned some awesome tours. They were very friendly, and accommodating, and it honestly felt like I was staying an a friends house rather than a hotel!
The breakfast was included, it was basic but very good. The rooms were nice and clean, and good AC! Plus they offered you free drives to town! That was super nice, especially cause they even picked you up at night.
It was a very nice, quiet place to stay, and I definitely recommend!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

Good hotel in convenient location. Good breakfast, clean rooms, striking style. In interesting part of tow near phousi market and ock pop tok (another place worth a visit). Best thing is the staff. Every need is dispatched immediately and cheerfully. Would stay again for sure.

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed five days here and the place grows on you. Unimpressive at first, seeming much older and run down than its age, you can get to appreciate that the rooms though air conditioned dont need it because the design keeps them cool. You appreciate the very plentiful and tasty breakfast. You even get used to the mother and son owners who do their best. The shuttle to the town centre works very well and its driver was a really friendly type.
Though they stayed cool the rooms were at best average

www.retirednomads.com

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We traveled by bus from Vang Vieng, which by the way, is not for the meek as the bus jolts and grinds through the many ups and downs of a high mountainous pass as the continuous swaying of the bus from left to right and right to left had many passengers grabbing plastic bags as their faces turned several shades of green. Seven miserable hours later we arrived at the bus station and grabbed a tuk-tuk to take us to Vangsavath Hotel where we were delighted to be warmly welcomed by Paul, his Mother and the staff with refreshingly cool hand towels and cold juice. Yes!

Paul is knowledgeable in the many touring options of the area and will give a nice ten minute presentation complete with photos on the lap-top as the staff husks your luggage to the room. The hotel can make arrangements for tours if desired; however, we did not utilize this service so I have no information to provide regarding this.

As a family of three adults and one child, finding family accommodations can be challenging; however the family room we booked had three beds which were large enough for our six year daughter to share with either Mom or Dad as big brother took the third bed. Nice enough linens and towels made for a enjoyable warm shower and comfortable sleep although the toilet does occasionally burp nasty air destroyers due to the lack of Westernized plumbing.

The hotel is not walkable to the downtown area but there is a free shuttle to accommodate a variety of schedules several times a day. We also used the free bicycles that are offered to cycle through town to various sights which was an added bonus. The bikes are not the best quality equipment whereas the brakes barely worked but luckily it is used only for casual riding.

Paul is beyond friendly, his Mother charming, and the staff friendly as they greeted us at the end of each adventure as if we were family. Great, affordable, and as Paul would say "Awesome".

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The Vangsavath was one of the cheaper hotels in Luang Prabang on the booking site that I used but I still felt it was a little expensive for SE Asia. Having said that, I have no doubt there is better value to be found, as many of the guesthouses in the centre of town were significantly cheaper when I asked in person about accommodation. Many were however more expensive, so it's a matter of finding what suits!
Where the Vangsavath Hotel stands out is the personalised service, the nice cooked breakfast, and the overall fair standard of accommodation.
The mother and son owner/managers are pleasant and accommodating. Anouphone (and please forgive me, I'm not sure if he introduced himself as Paul (in order to have an anglicised name) or Phon (shortened version of his name)) is hyper-hospitable and spends a lot of his time greeting guests, asking about their travels and providing a "Welcome to Luang Prabang" type of presentation to those who haven't visited before. His mother also welcomes guests but must be tired as she keeps long hours, and took a couple of days to open up and really have a chat.
I'm always a little wary of people who are unusually friendly, and although I'm sure he doesn't do it because he loves absolutely everybody, Paul's attention and friendliness was a welcome change to the standard greetings received at other hotels.
My room was fairly average, not huge in size but two people can get around fine. There were some maintenance items which I would attend to, such as the bathroom basin tap spraying water beyond the confines of the basin, and the television signal being rather intermittent on a couple of the days I was there. Cleanliness was good and drinking water was provided daily. Wi-Fi was also good. There was no bathtub in my room as some of the advertising seems to suggest, and when I questioned this I was offered a room on the ground floor which had a fairly average looking bathtub. I declined in the end based on the likelihood of there being more noise on the ground floor next to the reception desk. In hindsight I don't think the room I'd paid for was meant to have a bathtub anyway and I suspect I was given one of the hotel's worse rooms given that I booked a discounted "stay 2 nights+ and receive 10% off" rate. I also couldn't manage any sleep-ins because although the beds were comfortable, the blinds let too much light through, and there were some horrible roosters at the property next door making no end of noise at sunrise. My advice for all light-sleeping travellers (regardless of where you go): take earplugs! I had asked for a quiet room, so it would've been nice to have something at the back facing the garden, but ultimately I'd probably be disturbed by some noise wherever I was, I'm just a very light sleeper.
The fridge in the room was switched off when I arrived but this was no problem to plug in, and a handy touch was the provision of a hairdryer in the room.
Breakfast was pretty much the same every day but was tasty and freshly prepared. The pancakes were "home made" and great (especially hot and fresh off the pan). Eggs were cooked to order however my omelette was not cooked through on one occasion. It took some explaining to the lady cooking the eggs, but I managed to get her to cook the eggs longer, ensuring they were well done. Coffee and tea were available, as was UHT Milk though I believe this was left unrefrigerated overnight. I didn't however have any stomach upsets after consuming anything at the hotel.
Bicycles were available for guests to use, although these would benefit from some maintenance. I suspect the good ones get taken early, but staff would do well to devote some time to preventative and basic ongoing maintenance, such as adjusting or replacing brakes, and ensuring chains are oiled, suitably tight, and gears aren't worn. Brakes on the bike I had weren't the best, and the chain fell off in town at one point during my travels.
The free shuttle service to town is easier to get into town than it is back from town as I'm not sure that it always runs back from the post office at the advertised hours. Taxis wanted 20,000 Kip to take me back to the hotel. The location can be a bit inconvenient in this respect but as mentioned, steps are taken to mitigate the effects of this by way of the bikes and shuttle. If you ask nicely, often the shuttle will make a special trip in for you. It's a fairly long walk into town, do-able but a bit of a waste of time with the only thing of interest nearby being the Phousi Market.
In summary, this was a nice place to stay depending on your priorities. The use of timber throughout the building added charm. It's within a short bike ride of the main part of town, guests are made to feel welcome, breakfasts are good and the amenities are reasonable. If I was to come back I'd probably pick the better grade of room, but then again I didn't come to Luang Prabang to spend my days sitting in my hotel room. There were times when I'd have preferred to be in the centre of town, but usually it was OK, and I'm sure it was quieter as a result.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2014

03/MAR/2104~06/MAR/2014 3person(Japanese),single bed×3
Every staff is friendly and kind. Our room is clean and easy to stay.
We can enjoy Luang Prabang because they have shuttle bus for city center and bicycle rental or call tuktuk.
We were able to spend this 4 days comfortable and inconvenience.
Thank you so much!! KHOP CHAI!!とても思い出深い旅行になりました!ありがとう!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends