“An Oasis in LuangPrabang”

Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel
Ranked #4 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
“An Oasis in LuangPrabang”
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Situated in a converted French fort this 23 suite hotel is a oasis in Luang Prabang. Excellent staff with strong attention to detail including candle lit entrance and pathways at night make staying here a delightful experience. From the great spa facilities, to the well appointed pool area or just relaxing on your own private day bed in your suite garden Hotel de La Paix is a welcoming place to return after a day of sight seeing. The tranquility is not for those seeking active nightlife but for me was a welcome start to the holidays after some exceptionally busy weeks leading up to holidays. Food and wine offering is also very good with the vegetarian spring rolls and yellow duck curry particularly memorable. Enjoy,I did

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Kevin M O, General Manager at Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Thank you for sharing your kind thoughts and observations following your recent stay with us. I was pleased to note that our product, services and facilities measured up to your expectations and that you gained the rest and relaxation that you craved.

I was especially pleased to note that you thought our staff excellent and I will be pleased to share this with them at our next employee recognition day. The Chef too will be pleased to know that the culinary offerings were to your liking: we have planned a Menu review for the upcoming season and I will ensure that the Vegetarian Spring Rolls remain on the menu as many have indicated that this dish is particularly good.

I do hope that your travels will bring you back to Luang Prabang someday and that you will chose to stay with us again. Until that time, I remain,

gm@hoteldelapaixlp.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 14 October 2012

It is hard to fault Hotel de la Paix.

The location is great, just far enough away from the centre of town to be quiet (some parts of town can be pretty noisy/crowded) but an extremely easy walk (about 15mins) or bike ride (5mins).

This recently renovated old prison property has been beautifully executed by a very design conscious hand, with a lovely manicured courtyard, serene pool, spacious modern light rooms, ultra lux bathroom, amazingly comfortable bed, lovely sheets and pillows, private garden, etc.

Breakfast was very good, with a large number of options to choose from. It was a bit variable, ranging from out-of-this-world good on the first day to just good on the second day.

The internet connection in the rooms was excellent.

The hotel has geared bikes available.

The staff were extremely helpful and kind.

In short, it has all the amenities of an excellent Western hotel.

However, my only complaint - and this will not necessarily be an issue for all travelers - was that it felt a bit sterile and soulless. There are a number of other boutique hotels around the city (we stayed a few nights in one such property) that feel a bit more like old Indochina than a modern luxury hotel. Personally I prefer the former. I travelled with a friend who liked both. It will really be an individual question.

On the question of value, we got a good rate on a last minute trip that made the cost reasonable. In a city like Luang Prabang with so many great options its tough to justifying paying full price at such an expensive hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and observations following your recent stay with us at the Hotel de la Paix. I was pleased to note that overall you enjoyed the experience and that our staff were both helpful and kind.

Thank you too for the comments on our breakfast: the lack of consistency is a worry and I have brought this to the attention of our Chef. We have just recently revamped the Breakfast selections but clearly we still need to focus more attention to the quality and not only the quantity.

I must admit that I was concerned that you found us to be sterile and soulless and indeed Western: I am not sure that I fully understand what you mean and would be very pleased to learn more if you would care to share it with me. Tranquility and Privacy in an authentic Luang Prabang environment has always been our aim and I thought we were achieving this: I respect your opinion and thank you for saying that yours may not mirror those of other travelers but I would like to know more.

I take your point about the price factor and the choices available around town: we have always tried to demonstrate flexibility when it comes to rates and so there are always combinations and permutations available, especially in the Low Season. No-one ever really pays the full price when staying at any Hotel and so I was disappointed to read that, for you,we didn't represent full value.

Hong Kong isn't so far away and so should your travels ever bring you back to Luang Prabang then I would be very pleased to meet with you. If you would consider staying with us again then please contact me directly so that I can personally handle your reservation requirements. Until such time, I remain,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Beautifully managed property with kind and helpful staff. The site is a former prison that has been converted into large hotels rooms with soaring ceilings, backyards, and some even with pools. Rooms are large and airy with excellent bathrooms, rainfall showers and deep dive tubs. The restaurants on site are very good with many excellent Laotian dishes. The Spa was very good. "Pookie" was the manger and did an excellent job providing lots of great recommendations.

We arrived in early October which is just before the high season. Though hotel had close to a 70% occupancy rate, it was silent and tranquil. Pool was large and easy to swin laps in. WiFi was on the slow side but included in the rate as was a very generous breakfast. Minbar in the room was stocked with drinks and free. The hotel is a 10 minute bike ride into town and is really perfectly positioned as its is quiet but close enough to Luang Prabang.

I could go on and on but what is the point? This place is a winner.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Kevin O, General Manager at Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel, responded to this review, 6 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and observations following your recent stay with us at our Hotel de la Paix.

I was pleased to note that overall our product and services measured up to your expectations and that you found our staff to be both kind and helpful. It's always a joy to read complemtary comments about our employees as so often it is they that can make such a difference, irrespective of the product itself.

Thank you too for making a special reference to Pookie. She has been a real asset to us since she joined our team and recognition of her performance will be a great motivationary spur to her and her Spa team.

I note that the WiFi was slow and I have already asked out IT Manager to investigate why this should have been the case and of course to ensure that the signal is improved for the future.

Luang Prabang is not so far from Hong Kong so I do hope that you will take the opportunity to return to Luang Prabang in the not too distant future and that we will have the pleasure of serving you again. Until that time, I remain,

Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed 26 September 2012

We spent an afternoon hat the hotel enjoying lunch and the facilities, as we were staying at the 3 Naga's their sister hotel. The property is beautiful, as is the pool. The restaurant served us a delicious lunch, while service and friendliness was faultless

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tomuPhuket_Thailand
Kevin O, General Manager at Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2012
I was delighted to read that you took the opportunity to use the services and facilities of our Hotel de la Paix: this facility is always available to 3 Nagas guests and I was pleased to know that you enjoyed the experience.

I hope that you will elect to visit Luang Prabang again in the not too distant future and that we can be of service to you at both of our Hotels. Until that time, I remain,

Vientiane
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Whenever we wanted something, we got it within minutes, regardless of time of day: Cigarettes and ice at our door after midnight, a late breakfast, a last minute ride in a hotel vehicle. Super quiet room and relaxing terrace, massive bathroom, excellent landscaping in the spacious gardens, cozy restaurant with great food and service. All staff said "sabaii dee" as we passed. Very personable. They all made me feel very welcome and eager to serve, from the GM to housekeeper

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Kevin O, General Manager at Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Thank you for your very kind comments regarding the Hotel and more especially, your generous praise of the services provided by our employees.

We pride ourselves on our ability to provide quick and efficient services whenever required and so I was thrilled to read that on this occasion we were successful in reaching that goal.

I note that you reside in Vientiane and so I hope that means that we will have the pleasure of your company again in the not too distant future. If I can help with regards future bookings you need only say and until that time, I remain,

Kevin M. O'Hagan

Torquay, Australia
Reviewed 14 September 2012

This property without a doubt is in a league of its own -being an old prison (you would never be able to tell). Extremely serene & peaceful. All rooms are in a square configuration and face toward the courtyard. The lead in room types with Garden terrace are spacious and beautiful. Very serene. GORGEOUS GORGEOUS RESORT!

Ideal for couples. Great facilities including free wifi and very boutique and yet unique style. The resort is only a year old everything is quite modern however. Short walk or bike ride to the town centre. The hotel has 5 rent able bicycles.

This resort has one of the best massage spa's in Luang Prabang moderately priced. $55USD for an hr long massage, discounts applicable.

Ideal to those who are after a quiet, relaxing get away and honeymooners!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions following your recent stay at our Hotel de la Paix. We were very pleased to note that our product ans ervices met with your expectations.

We are very proud of our Spa operation and so reading your praise of the services provided was equally gratifying: I will take great pleasure in sharing your kind words with our Spa team.

On a diferent note, I was concerned to note that you mentioned we had bicycles for rent: as a resident guest, these bikes should have been available to you on a complimentary basis so I do hooe that you weren't charged for using them. As no doubt you saw in your travels around town, there is a large variety of bikes available, many of which are available for rent, but ours, to you, should have benn complimentary. Do please let me know if in fact you were charged for this facilty.

In the meantime, we do hop that you will consider returning to Luang Prabang: I realize that it is quite a way from Australia, but should you return, we do hope that you will return to our Hotel de la Paix. Until such time, I remain,

Yerevan, Armenia
Reviewed 8 September 2012 via mobile

Location is perfect, away from main tourist areas, but still central. Rooms are clean and comfy. We had a suite with separate pool, which was great. One thing to watch is restaraunt, not only there were things in the menu that they did not have, but almost every time we ordered something, there would be a confusion over the order (like we ordered a beef stake and got a burger), certainly something you would not expect from a hotel of this rank / price range.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank armenicum
Kevin O, General Manager at Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2012

While I was pleased to know that overall you enjoyed our product and services, I was both surprised and disappointed to learn about the constant confusion with the Order Taking of our Food and Beverage team. Many of them have been with the Hotel since it opened and so I would have thought they would well know the type of dishes we have on our Menu. I do apologize for this inconvenience and you can be sure that the very next thing we do is to re-introduce all our Food and Beverage team to all the items on the menu. They will learn again what each dish is and, which is something I insist on, the will get to taste everything so that they know what's in the dish and, better still, enable them to genuinely recommend dish, when reqested.

Once again, I apologize for this shortcoming and please know that it will be addressed immediately. If you have an opportunity to return to Luang Prabang, please don't allow this unfortunate experience to unfavourably prejudice your decision on coming to us again.

In the meantime, I remain,