“Peaceful stay!”

Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel
Ranked #4 of 68 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We stayed 4 nights here and we had a room with a private pool for the first 3;the
room was amazing,spacious,the shower outside and the outside pool just for you,
can't be better for a relaxing time;for the last night we have been upgraded in the main suite
but even if the room was bigger it was not as romantic as the other,a lot of space lost in the room
the garden outside was not enjoyable and the privacy was not as good too.
The staff is very friendly and they are always here when you need;the breakfast in the morning
is excellent and you can enjoy the sunrise lights in the garden,the perfect start for your day.

Room Tip: get the room with the private pool
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Kirsty D, General Manager at Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Laurent503,

Sabaidee and very warm greetings from Hotel de la Paix.

Thank you for your comments regarding the upgraded room. It is very large and whilst the ‘best’ suite in the house, it potentially is not as intimate as the Pool Suite. I must confess I am a huge fan of our Pool Suites and would always recommend them to Honeymooners or couples in general.

I will be sure to pass on your lovely comments to our team. We make a point of showcasing all our TA review for each to access and understand exactly what makes a guest stay so special. Each guest is so very different that we don’t want to miss that little something that is important or may create the ‘memory of a lifetime’.

I have no doubt the rest of your journey was as enjoyable and wish you safe travels always.

Kind regards - Kirsty

Reviewed 8 April 2014

What a lovely place to be locked up in,this is a converted prison that has been transformed into a wonderful place to stay.The old yard is now a wonderful courtyard with a pool and small water feature at the opposite side,with pristine garden area that is very well looked after.The rooms are amazing,ours had a private garden so you could open the doors and your bedroom and bath/shower area looked straight into it,with the addition of a patio area aswell.The room itself had a large bed with mosquito nets all around,and everything was spotless,the doors opened up on this side to the courtyard.Breakfast was spot on,and the evening food we tried was just the same.If you are staying in this resort there are plenty of excursions,we did the temples and the mekong trip.A great place to stay on the 3rd leg of our tour,onwards to Vietnam now for the 4th leg in Hanoi.

Dear LS9 york,

Thank you for your generous review of our hotel. We do have a very special hotel and has all the more charming simply knowing what we were and who we are now. Mind you we must have been minimum security as the old photos we have on file have the main doors wide open and everyone looking very relaxed.

All our rooms feature their own private garden. The tall walls only adding to the intimacy and providing a perfect sanctuary at the end of a day of exploring our amazing little village.

Thank you for including us in your tour of Indochina. Our gentle pace and beautiful people make us a must do destination when ever over this way. I’m sure we added some very special memories to your trip.

Very best regards - Kirsty

Reviewed 31 March 2014

As you step in for the 1st time and if you know it was a prison you get a little worried but once go enter the suite room you fall in love with it. Nice garden, comfortable rooms, nice size bathroom, very good a la carte breakfast - try the local noodle soup, and the mini bar has beer, refreshments, chocolate, juices - replenished daily. Staff very helpful and professional. Wi-fi in the room could be challenging but once properly set up works well. Food is very reasonable - room service and at restaurant. Nice pool.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Bonia B,

Thank you for your review and lovely words about our little ‘prison’.

My apologies that you experienced difficulty with the wifi, it is occasionally a challenge but certainly something that we are aware of and making plans to smooth over so that it is easy, accessible and sufficient at all hours of the day.

The noodle soup for breakfast is my favourite too. In fact for any time of day. Lao food is simple, clean, full of fresh flavours and difficult to have enough of. I’m so glad you enjoyed.

I do hope the rest of your trip was as enjoyable as your Lao leg.

Where ever you travel to next be safe and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back at some point in the future.

Very best regards - Kirsty

Reviewed 17 March 2014

We usually stay in bigger hotels so this was a shock to the senses. It is not a big chain hotel, not as slick as others we have stayed in but it is the better for it.

It is small and set around a courtyard garden. We are a family with 4 young children and I was concerned about the lack of interconnecting rooms. Our rooms connect through the garden rather than internally but it was not a problem.

We spotted other guests at meals in the garden but most of the time we felt like we had the hotel, garden and pool to ourselves.

We had a pool of our own but there is also a hotel pool.

I think that they don't have many young families as all other groups were couples and I don't know how they felt about the noises coming from our pool when they children were splashing around in the afternoon after sightseeing in the morning but the staff were great and looked after us we'll.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Claire_Dub

Dear Claire_Dub

Sabaidee and warm greetings from Hotel de la Paix.

There were indeed all sorts of noises coming from your corner of the courtyard, but they were happy noises, so I think that only added to the atmosphere. I was sitting with guests in our Library one afternoon and they commented that the kids must have been having a fabulous time. I can assure you nobody minded at all.

Given our origins and protection listing we are not able to have interconnecting rooms as we are not allowed to change the structure of the building. Hence we have done the next best thing and provided the gate between the back garden fences.

With only 23 suites it is easy to make it seem the entire property is all yours. The hotel is a haven of tranquility and even full can feel as if you are the only guests in residence.

Thank you for taking the time to pen a review.

Wishing you and your family safe travels always - Kirsty

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We started our tour of Indochina with a stay in Luang Prabang and the Hotel de la Paix. The rooms are individual suites which are spacious and well equipped. There was an iPod and player provided in the room. There was a bowl of fruit provided. The mini bar had complementary soft drinks and beer. The toiletries were high quality. There was a walk in shower and separate bath.
The bed and pillows were so comfortable. The staff were excellent and very friendly.
The rooms are arranged around beautiful gardens and the swimming pool. The gardens are very well kept and the pool is so inviting. The only downside was the limited dinner menu and it seemed that most guests ate out. That was a shame as the dining tables look out over the gardens and the pool area. However the food was very good.

1  Thank Heather D
Kirsty D, General Manager at Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Dear Heather D,

Sabaidee and warm greetings from Hotel de la Paix.

Thank you for your lovely review of our hotel, what a way to start your Indochina tour, Luang Prabang! I will be sure to pass your lovely comments to our team. They genuinely enjoy taking care of our guests and love receiving feedback.

Our gardens are indeed superb and we are privileged enough to have an Executive Housekeeper with a passion for plants and a Senior Gardener that pours his heart and sole into the grounds.

I will take on board your comments about the dinner menu being limited. Given the town is a brief stroll away and there are just so many dining venues to explore, most of our guests do tend to dine out, exploring the village and the delights of dining by the river or in eclectic little cafes and sometimes even from vendors. Lao cuisine is delicious and not to be missed, clean, simple flavours as individual to Laos as our neighbouring countries cuisine is to them.

I have no doubt the rest of your tour of Indochina was equally as special.

Safe travels where ever you may venture for future.

Warmest regards - Kirsty

Reviewed 6 February 2014

A while ago the city of Luang Prabang has decided to make a better use of its prision.... and there comes the Hotel de la Paix. With great service, very nice spa in an old style teak house, a marvelous internal courtyard where all the rooms face. They have a nice stylish pool where for sure you are going to relax at the end of the day!
They can also organize your tours if you need it.
The hotel is at less than 10 minutes walk from the city centre so it is easy to go there in the evenings and enjoy the articraft fair that goes on every night. It is also very easy to move around the city and its lots of restaurants.
5 star hotel and location!

Room Tip: The rooms are all very good. Huge, spacious, nice bathrooms, back private yard in each room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Riguzzi,

Thank you for you lovely review of our hotel and I am so glad your family enjoyed their time not only with us but also in our very special part of the world, Luang Prabang. The village is only tiny and yes everything is pretty much in walking distance, which is certainly part of our charm.

The pool does provide a great end to a day of exploring and tours. Always wonderful to lie on the sunken platform and stretch out and enjoy the sun in the water.

When doing the Indochina trail we often suggest that Laos may be best kept to last, the gentle pace of life, old world charm and amazing people make us the cherry on the top of what is sure to be an amazing holiday and a life long memory.

Safe travels where ever you may go and be sure you are always welcome should you return.

Warmest regards - Kirsty

Reviewed 28 January 2014

My 8 year old son and I travelled to Laos for our Christmas holidays with Luang Prabang as our focus. Hotel de la Paix was our first stop and was simply beautiful and impressive when we arrived. It's a converted old prison and so the rooms are all centered around a garden, courtyard and pool area.

Our room was beautiful with simple decor and an outside sofa area and bathtub/shower - v special. The food was also excellent.

The pool was essential for my son, who used it endlessly but other than that facility, there was little for him to do - not a hotel geared to young ones although the staff loved interacting with my son and were completely delightful.

Of concern was the hotel's Manager - I am sad to admit, an Australian who made herself known to us while she was having lunch in the restaurant when we arrived. Her uncontrolled Rottweiler puppy continued to disturb us through our lunch which left me wondering what sort of management would let a huge dog take its freedom at the patron’s expense. The staff, whilst utterly charming, looked and behaved like a rudderless ship - trying their best but with not consistent direction, vision or support.

The Manager’s baseless hospitality attempts meant that when we extended our stay in Luang Prabang, we chose another hotel.

The 3Nagas hotel was beautiful, modest and every bit of the Luang Prabang holiday experience I wanted led by a terrific Manager – just goes to show how much the ‘top dog’ means to the overall impression and experience of an establishment.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank EmmaSquid

Dear EmmaSquid,

Thank you for your review.

I sincerely appreciate your positive comments about the "completely delightful staff", "excellent food" and "beautiful rooms".

My apologies that you found my management to be less than expected. It would appear my team is excellent at their jobs given the wonderful comments you have made above and this is in spite of my "inconsistent direction, vision or support"

I also must apologise, that whilst we did speak on a number of occasion you felt you were unable to voice any concerns about the puppy. It has been my experience that many of our guests travel for extended periods when visiting Indochina and are away from their homes and pets and in fact love to pet and play with him. I would have been only too happy to ensure he remained at home for the duration of your stay, I would never want any of our guests to be uncomfortable. I suggest not visiting a Fairmont hotel in Canada as it is their custom to have a hotel dog at each of their properties.

I must also apologise that my having lunch in our restaurant seems to have caused offence, this was certainly not intended in any way. If I remember correctly I was entertaining a hotel business partner in the garden part of the restaurant.

I would like to sincerely thank you for the time you spent at the hotel, your son was a delight to speak with, a polite, bubbly and fun young man. The tours and arrangements you made for him were very special, I am sure he enjoyed his time in Luang Prabang, especially the elephant trek.

Thank you for choosing to stay at our other property whilst in town, 3 Nagas, it is also a very special part of our UNESCO heritage listed town.

Wishing you both safe and fun travels always - Kirsty