“Enjoyable stay!”

Le Palais Juliana
Ranked #29 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
“Enjoyable stay!”
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

This hotel is absolutely beautiful. I enjoyed every minute of my stay here. It's not close to town but it offers free and frequent shuttle services to town on a daily basis. The staff were very friendly and helpful. They remember your name and always greets you with warmth. I found myself wanting to spend more time at this hotel than in town because it was so tranquil and peaceful. The breakfast was delicious as well. I plan to return to this hotel when I visit Laos again.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 18 May 2013

This property is beautifully designed: the swimming pool, the dining room, the library...really stylish and definitely 5 star. The rooms are also quite nice, only the bathroom seems a little bit dated and with less of a designer feel to it.
But all of this is pointless in a hotel if the standards of hygiene and cleanliness are as low as we found them to be. And the service was, a least, a total shambles.
We stayed at Le Palais Juliana 3 nights in April. We did know if wasn't in the centre of town, but having hired our own transport, this was not a problem. Upon arrival, we weren't greated, but quickly sent to our room by a less than friendly receptionist wearing some type of track suit and no smiles. When we got to the room, we couldn't beleve the amount of dust accumulated everywhere we looked. We requested a room change. Second room was as bad as the first one. Eventually, I decided to go to reception and speak to the manager. I could hear her in one of the rooms shouting at another employee who eventually told me that she was busy, and that she was her assistant and maybe she could help me. I explained to her that the minimum requirements in a hotel, 5 or 1 stars, were cleanliness. She apologised and offered to clean a room for us. We were then moved to another bedroom, which was cleaner but not perfect.
Now breakfast: the dining room is beautiful and really grand. The amount of spider webs on the ceiling, under the tables, everywhere, made m appetite disappear. It is the first time in my life that I refused to eat breakfast in a hotel due to hygiene concerns.
The staff in the breakfast room were also amusing: 3 of them chatting away while the room is full of dirty tables, having breakfast themselves, the waitress doing her nails, unbelievable....
We felt sorry for this amazing property that was being mistreated by its employees. We really hope that somebody that can appreciate the beauty of its gardens, swimming pool and real potential can take over and give it the treatment it deserves.
I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Quijanotango
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on a Gate 1 Discovery Tour. I loved the hotel for its charm, spaciousness and tranquil setting. My room was lovely, facing the pool. Staffing seemed minimal both at the desk and dining room but they were very accommodating and tried very hard to please. There is a shuttle van into town on a sign up basis. The pool was beautiful and I enjoyed my little patio overlooking it. The cons: I hated the bed. It was like sleeping on a concrete slab. If you like really firm mattresses, this place is for you! And the other problem was that I woke up to ant. The maid quickly came and sprayed and the problem seemed fixed until the next morning when I awoke to them again. I was in room 232 and I was the only person with the problem. But I chalked it up to the fact that I was in the jungle and let it go. Can't let things like that ruin a trip. I'd go back to Luang Prabang in a heartbeat and stay at the hotel if they'd get new mattresses!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank barbdpayne
Brevard, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Of the five hotels that we stayed in while on an inaugural Gate 1 Discovery Tour of SE Asia, Le Palais Juliana was my wife's and my favorite. It is only about two years old and is very artistically designed. It is in a beautifull garden setting set among the huge lily ponds, It has a beautifully designed and very large swimming pool, large enough to swim laps. The dining room served excellent meals with both western and Asian cuisines. You have the option of having your meal on the patio. Service reigned supreme. It was such a peaceful and restful oasis that we looked forward to coming home to Le Palais Juliana after each day's programmed events. Our bedroom had rwin beds.and all the amenities one would expect of a first class hotel.

Quertosomo

Room Tip: All the rooms would be excellent in my opinion.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Quertosomo
UK
Reviewed 3 March 2013

We spent 3 nights at this hotel outside Luang Prabang as part of a small tour group and enjoyed the peace, the pool and the air conditioning as the weather was very hot and sunny. Our ground floor room had a small sitting out area and direct access to the pool. The restaurant was good, the staff very pleasant and we can recommend this hotel for people looking for a comfortable stay away from the bustle of Luang Prabang.

Room Tip: ground floor rooms may suffer from damp
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank anpatlyn
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We loved the tranquil setting. The hotel is about 10 min by tuk tuk outside of Luang Prabang and having spent our last night at a hotel directly in LL we appreciate the tranquility and quietness even more.

The staff was very friendly. The breakfast buffet plenty, mix of Western/Asian food with a chef who would make you eggs to order and another one to make noodle soup. If you are lucky you catch a table at the terrace. One day we ate lunch at the restaurant and enjoyed our food very much. Well prepared and very flavorful.

The room was spacious, had a day bed in there (which was great to put all our stuff there). The bed was very comfortable and we both slept really well. The bathroom had a separate shower and bath tub and the water pressure was great.

Pool area was very nice (there are not many hotels with pools) and we enjoyed a massage at the outdoor spa.

The downside was that this hotel is used by some tour groups (which is okay) but we had experienced on two days that our room neighbors got picked up very early (at 5am and at 6am).

Getting into town takes some planing as the hotel shuttle only leaves four times during the day to drive to downtown (also four return trips). A tuk tuk costs 50,000 kids, which can add up. However we prefer a tuk tuk ride over the noisy downtown area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upstairs (or a villa), which views the pool area. Downstair rooms face the pool walls...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Lichfield
Reviewed 22 February 2013

An odd hotel. The swimming pool is georgeous and the room we had fine , with all that you would expect in a luxury hotel except no western TV channels. But there were very few people there - we stayed three nights and the first night it was almost empty but there were a few more on our final night. There are also very few staff - they manage and are very nice , and service is OK but only just. The restaurant is small and could not cater for all the guests if the hotel was busy. The first night we had dinner there - one waiter who also manned the bar and the only other person in evidence was the receptionist although I think there were two in the kitchen. The menu is very limited and whilst the quality of what they produce is OK don't expect any great culinary experience here. Breakfast is weak but adequate but would be better for Oriental guests. It's a ten minute Tuk Tuk drive into town but the hotel runs a (very limited) minibus service. We enjoyed the pool but the rest of the experience was somewhat colourless. No fitness centre that we could find and no spa but these are things we didn't come here for. Come here for the pool and the views from the garden , also it's very quiet.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends