“Beautiful hotel but horrible loud club across the street”

The Luang Say Residence
Ranked #1 of 71 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Reviewed 14 July 2011

This hotel is very beautiful, French colonial style. It is located a little bit outside of the main small city of Luang Prabang. Since we were there for our honeymoon, the hotel upgraded our room to a suite in the main building. Throughout the property there are villas scattered around. The suite was very large, clean, and new in appearance. We had a large bathroom with shower and a large tub. We had two balconies.
Everything was amazing about the suite and the staff. But then at 2 o clock in the afternoon from our room wew could hear loud music blaring, with a lot of bass. After walking around the hotel, we discovered an open-air restaurant/club across the street blaring this music. We asked the hotel to call the restaurant about the music. They called twice to turn down the music, but of course there was no change.
The music lasted until about 11 at night.
As a New Yorker, I was extremely disappointed that I travelled across the world to a supposedly less travelled, very chill country on my honeymoon only to stay at one of the nicer hotels in Luang Prabang with loud music blaring across the street.
While this may not be the hotel's fault, it absolutely ruined my stay. And I wish I had been warned about the music, so that I could have picked a different hotel.

Room Tip: if you do not want to hear loud bass music, try to stay in a villa way in the back
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nycgirl3131

Reviewed 27 June 2011

I stayed here 2 nights, it was a good hotel in Luang Prabang. Their staffs were very helpful and friendly. The breakfast were not bad but I didn't like Laotian food so much, I had a special menu :). Everything seemed to be good, the manager spoke English very well. That was a good hotel

Reviewed 27 June 2011

Stayed 4 nights here. Really enjoyed our stay. The staff are very friendly and attentive, sometimes overly so, especially in the restaurant, probably as we were practically the only guests there. Enjoyed chatting to some of the staff who spoke good English, you could find out a lot about Laos and generally feel at ease when talking with them. Friendly French manage. Nice bar area, the atmosphere would be good with a few more people. Need to advertise the happy hour more obviously. The bungalows are huge and comfortable although the downstairs ones are overlooked from the pathways as there are no net curtains. Beautiful gardens surrounds and a fantastic pool. Free bike hire and shuttle to town. Great stay especially if you get a good deal in the low season.

Reviewed 19 June 2011

I live in South East Asia. I went to Luang Prabang with my two grown kids. I have learned to really appreciate quality (from a western view) after being in SE Asia. Here you will not have a problem if that is what you are looking for. It is not the cheapest, but if you want a really nice, quality hotel, this is the place. When we were there it was slow time, so it was almost like a private hotel. The staff is great, helpful, but not pushy. The food (when we ate there) was not cheap, but 5 star like. Location is close to old town, with a tuk tuk. Pool is refreshing after a long day. I would stay here again, and that is the true test. BTW. beds are fantastic.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Colonial style located just few minute a way from Old Town. The resort have a great swimming pool... I stayed in a suite which face to the pool... loved it...

The room are big with sofa and big LCD TV... I traveled to few other place in Lao but most of them I can't access internet or very very slow, but this hotel have the fastest internet....

Great service at the restaurant and what i like the most, this hotel offer a very healthy breakfast.... Recommended if you visit Luang Prabang....

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank TripMinistry
Reviewed 24 May 2011

Do yourself a favor and book at the Luang Say for your next LP vacation. As this was my first trip to Laos, I was unsure where to stay so it was so fortunate I decided to stay at the Luang Say. This newly opened hotel is filled with charm while offering maximum comfort and service. Eduardo and Mona offered first class attention to my group which will not be forgotten. The rooms are spacious yet elegant with amenities galore. Our room included breakfast which was hearty and delicious. My boyfriend raved about the eggs benedict claiming the hollandaise was the best he's ever had. Hotel location is a bit aways from town however they do offer shuttles to town as well as bicycles to use at your disposal. Loved it!

1  Thank saigonanna
Reviewed 19 May 2011

I would never speak highly of this hotel. I've learned never to stay at a NEW hotel in SE Asia. The service was deplorable, offensive management, dirty rooms, broken showers and no room service or spa, I would not recommend this property to my worst enemy.

Room Tip: Avoid all rooms
  • Stayed: March 2011