The Luang Say Residence
  • Pool
Sada Hotel(Luang Prabang)
Parasol Blanc(Luang Prabang)
View Hotel
Le Sen Boutique Hotel(Luang Prabang)
Saysamphanh Hotel(Luang Prabang)
  • Room Service
View Hotel
All reviewsfrench colonial styleorganic gardenla belle epoquetuk tukmain buildingbeautiful propertyin towncolonial feelturn down servicehuge bathroomposter bedlush gardensbeautiful poolrooms are spaciousoverlooking the gardenpool area isthe general manager
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 November 2013

This hotel complex is located in a dusty street, several kms out of town, but as you drive in you are greeted by the sight of a colonial-style mansion which contains the reception area, complete with sweeping staircase, restaurant and bar (and some rooms upstairs). Most of the hotel suites are contained in stand-alone blocks of four, behind the main building. They are imposing colonial style structures and are very well-spaced around the pretty gardens.
The rooms are beautifully appointed, with four-poster beds (and mosquito net), a pillow menu, lounge area and big bathrooms with double basins (my only complaint was that the shower was difficult to use, ie: hot water wouln't come out of the rain shower but only the hand held-nozzle which wasn't hands free). Really the rooms were equipped with everything you could possibly want. There's also a spacious balcony but it wasn't pleasant to sit outside due to such factors as smoke from locals burning off, heat and mosquitoes. They do a turn down service each night and close the shutters, prepare the net and leave a night time treat but 1 night I accidentally put the do not disturb when I went out, so they didn't come in, but left a note under the door (at least they take notice).
The hotel boasts an excellent restaurant, although it seems pricey the food is of excellent quality and the service good. Although I was a bit surprised that the doors were always open which allows mosquitoes in at night and the heat from outside. Airconditioning would be nice in an upscale restaurant. The breakfast served was also a very good a la carte menu with something for the health conscious as well as those indulging (although not just plain bacon & eggs, on the set menu) but again the food was of excellent quality.
The hotel also has an organic vegie garden out the back and statues of famous explorers around the garden, charming. There is also a nice pool (but not that big for swimming). I was also surprised that they do not have a gym or spa service in such a high end hotel.
Although the hotel is somewhat out of town, they have a free shuttle service to take you in. At fixed times in the evening and on demand during the day (the last one returns at 9pm). They also have free bicycles that you can take yourself into town with; quite a fun option. The bikes aren't great but the town is pretty flat so it is easy to get around,
We had a lovely stay but my only issue was that when I booked in bangkok I had been quoted in Thai Baht (my preferred currency) but on check-out the bill was in USD. I then asked to pay in Baht cash and they gave me a figure, which seemed high but I paid. When I got home and checked my figures I realised that I had paid 1000B too much but I din't get a receipt in Baht only USD so bit hard to prove. Should've checked before I left.
Overall a charming place to spend a few quiet days.

1  Thank Globerwalker
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the La Residence Phou Vao and the Luang Say Residence, and can unequivocally say the latter is the superior property.

Rooms: We had a junior suite at La Residence, and I had to confirm it was such with the front desk. The room was very dark with poor lighting, so we asked for an extra lamp--and the bulb promptly burned out.

Our room was over the restaurant and affected at night by the music there. We should have moved, but our busy touring schedule did not accommodate it.

The La Residence bath is good sized but with an extremely peculiar sarcophagus-shaped bath tub that required Olympic level dexterity to exit and enter. Although the bath easily could accommodate two sinks, there was only one large, peculiarly wide and shallow one. The tub and sink were worn and need replacing. They are of a strange, green, pressed stone. This seems a favorite of La Residence hotels but looked particularly unpleasant
here.

Our tub backed up during showering both nights we were there and the problem could not be resolved, so we showered in the unoccupied room next door.

All in all, it was a struggle.

Now for Luang Say: The Exploratory Suite in this 3 year old hotel was stunning with a large veranda, two balconies, and triple the size of the La Residence room. The new bath shone with double sinks, a lovely bathtub and open shower, all in white. Lighting and seating were extensive. It was a pleasure to be in.

Amenities: The only drawback st Luang Say, for those who care, is there is no spa. Their pool is as nice if not nicer than La Residence's.

Service: The Luang Say was faultless, with warm greetings and immediate service.

At La Residence, the service in the restaurants was good with friendly although often unsure - acting waiters. The front desk, however, has serious problems. We were not greeted at arrival, and it took time for people to come out of the office. We usually had to explain our questions to two people before they, bewildered, finally retrieved a third who could understand us. Staff seemed very unsure of themselves and nervous. It was nit welcoming. Our bill at checkout was wholly wrong, and all charges had to be corrected.

Another point to consider: the residents of Luang Prabang burn garbage and/ or fields, producing arid-smelling air--which has to change if they want a good tourism economy. The Luang Say seemed less affected by the air, however, as it is lower in elevation. While La Residence has a view of town, it often was hazy. The Luang Say has lovely, clearer views of the jungle-covered hills surrounding this charming town.

Try to book Luang Say soon. It will be impossible once word gets out of this new, very charming

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank IdahoTimber
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed here on a trip through Southeast Asia. This is a new property, but think old world luxury. There are 4 suites to every building on this "estate-type" property. There is so much detail in the suites: the molding, the built ins, the carvings, the furniture, the decor, the hardware, the list is endless! and I think there is a whole new meaning to the Heavenly Bed. I've done a ton of world traveling & this rates at the top. Who would have expected this in the little town of Luang Prabang? The restaurant is very good as is the service. The staff excellent. My only complaint: even though there is indoor & outdoor dining, all doors are open so there was no air conditioned dining. In the morning this is not a problem as it is cool, but in the evening it's warm and a bit buggy.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jogrant2
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Beautiful place to spend some relaxing days away from the stress of life! A very calm energy surrounds Luang Say Residence.

Wonderful service, fine food and beautiful gardens including an organic garden where most of the vegetables & fruits are sourced for meals.

Lovely gardens to wander.....a place to read and to forget about what's happening elsewhere in the world.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Luang Prabang in itself is one of the highlights of Asia. The Luang Say added even more to the experience. The rooms are beautiful, and the grounds offer natural beauty. One of the highlights was the breakfast served a la carte. We had dinner here a couple of times and also tried other good restaurants in town. The restaurant of the Luang Say stood out with near perfect quality food. We came back totally relaxed and reinvigorated. I have had the pleasure of being in a number of 5 star hotels in Asia, but this is an absolute favorite. The only area of improvement would be a gym and a spa. The beds and bathroom are sublime. Wish I could stay there much longer.

Room Tip: There are two types of suites, we stood in the explorer one, and that serves all needs.