“Great spot, simple but clean”

Mekong Charm Guest House
Ranked #195 of 264 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Adelaide, Australia
“Great spot, simple but clean”
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed there for a few days and had no major complaints about anything. The owner and staff are friendly though at times language was a problem. We had a deluxe room overlooking the Mekong and that was worth it. Typical of the country, the bathroom was basic, the bed was hard as blazes, but still not The hardest in LP, but hospitality made up for it all. My only problem was that we were there during a cold spell and apart from climbing into bed, there was nowhere warm & comfortable to hang out in.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
maryland
Reviewed 18 February 2013

This place faces the water on the Mekong side of the peninsula. The public areas are well mantained. The balcony room was large and simply furnished. The linens were clean but a little tired. The bathroom was a little weak - the shower was standing in an old tub with a shower wand. A/C worked great. Breakfast was tasty with a selection of fresh fruit, breads, eggs and juices. There was enough there to get you going in the morning. The wi-fi signal was weak to non-existent. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. This is a mid-range quality guest house. Balcony rooms run $55 - $70, depending on if you have the end room. I would stay here again in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Getting me to leave a room before my scheduled time is something of an accomplishment. I've stayed in places with all kinds of problems before without issue. But the Mekong Charm guest house hit all of the sore spots to send me packing 3 days before my original departure date.

The guest house is located along the Mekong river bank, a little distance north of the former imperial residence. It's hard to distinguish one guest house from another so it may take some time to find.

The guest house itself is in need of some serious work. The rooms are all fairly dirty and have a layer or two of cobwebs and the occasional gecko. Hot water is sluggish and can take some time to warm up. The beds are rock hard, so stiff they even bothered me and anyone familiar with my reviews knows I like a stiff mattress. I think I could have acted out and edited my own versions of the videos I was trying to download on youtube before they would have finished, even though the connection to the router was strong. Not all was bad though; the deluxe room had an excellent view of the river and quite nice wood paneling.

So knowing that I left early, are you wondering why I gave it a three star review? It's because the lady that owns the guest house is genuinely trying to run a good place. Whenever, I spoke to her, she remembered my name and seemed interested in my day and what I was planning. When I came to here with my concerns about the rooms, she quickly tried to remedy all of my concerns herself rather than just handing it to one of her assistants. She really had a commitment to trying to run a place that was a step above the average guest house in LP. Knowing this, I just couldn't bring myself to give the Mekong Charm a lower score.

What seems to be stopping her from achieving he goals of a real quality guest house are her assistants. The assistant who works at the front seems to speak exactly 5 words of english, "no," "busy now" and "no english." This seems to be a reflection of his work ethic as he was completely unwilling to help me book a tour that I wanted to take. He was also the reason I ended up in a standard room for one night because he didn't bother to tell the owner that I changed my reservation.

Worse still, the cleaning staff consisted of one elderly woman who seemed to only care enough to get rid of the bigger dead animals and leave everything else to the guests. The final straw for my departure was when I went to take a shower in my deluxe room and found is so completely clogged with absolute filth that the water wasn't even drained out. The lady had completely neglected to tell the manager about this and left it for me to deal with.

Final thought: It's really a shame; this place could be great but the staff needs a major upgrade first.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, take a deluxe room. The view of the Mekong from the balcony is worth the extr...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank mr_cardholder
Phnom Penh
Reviewed 1 November 2012

The hotel is a beautiful hardwood building on the riverfront that may be enjoyed from the balconies or the veranda downstairs. Our room had a comfortable bed, a minibar, wi-fi, and a bathtub. The hardwood means the room can be dark, but that was fine for us as we got a really good night's sleep. It's a family owned establishment, really friendly and courteous. The proprietress is a very professional and intelligent woman who speaks great English. She's running the hotel for her parents, who have had to return to Vientiane for medical reasons. As an indication of the hotel's commitment to service, even though breakfast isn't normally included they decided to make it for us anyway every morning because there weren't many guests at the time. There are plenty of dining options within walking distance, from cheap noodles and rice on the waterfront to more upscale eateries.

One note, when we first emailed them we didn't get a response. Their server had been hacked or something though (as of October 2012), so until the issue is sorted out it could be hard to reach them by email.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Deva E
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I don't normally write reviews, but this place impressed me. The Mekong flows in front of the house. The house itself has an elegance, which seems to have been lost to us. And the people working there are interested and interesting. The cost of board is so low. You won't regret staying here.

Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Aidan K
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Our room was fantastic value- large, clean and nicely furnished- especially for the price. The host was friendly and helpful. On our first night though, the power went out in our room, so the aircon stopped working and I had an awful sleep as it was so hot. In the morning they tried to fix it but it they had to wait for an electrician to come fix it. Besides a shower in the dark, it wasn't too much of a nuisance as we spent most of the day out seeing the beautiful sights of Luang Prabang. We had no further issues and the rest of our stay was very pleasant.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Phoebe M
Petts Wood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I found here while on a walk along by the Mekong and it was exactly what I was looking for. I payed 200,000kip per night as I was travelling alone in low season for room 1 which has river views with a balcony. I really enjoyed my stay it is about a 10-15mins walk to the main street and night market but there are restaurants and shops nearer to the hotel.

The room was a good size and the double bed very comfy! There is a minibar with fairly reasonably priced items - 12000kip for a small beer Lao - and a bit of space to put your own items. A laundry service is available for 12000kip per kilo which is on average with most places in town. Toon was the main person in charge having arrived last month to help boost the family business, she was always very friendly, spoke excellent English having lived in Australia for a few years and eager to help with any questions.

On the whole it is very clean but there were a few cobwebs in the room that had been there for a while, there was no daily room cleaning and an in room safe would have been nice but the town felt very safe so was not too much of a problem.

I look forward to returning to Luang Prabang and would not hesitate to stop at Mekong Charm again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo