All reviewsprivate bathroomhot waternight marketmekong riverwould stay here againalleyguesthouseacupstairs
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Oudomphong Guest House (No 1, I suppose, - the address is 65/4 Ban Houaxiang Village) was a delight. This was our second trip to Luang Prabang, and I had a chance to compare pices and the range of rooms available. Oudomphong came out on tops. The rooms are simply furnished but spacious and spotlessly clean. Everything - lights - bathroom - fittings - worked fine. Most important of all, the family who run the guest house are extremely friendly and helpful. They offer free water, tea, coffee, and bananas - and our room had a fridge with a good-value mini-bar. They were also very helpful with organizing tickets and onward travel. We felt we had met a local Lao family and made friends with whom we shall keep in touch.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I stayed here twice while travelling through Laos.

The first time I was with four others and we were given a massive room with two big beds and two bathrooms.
The minibar is cheap and very handy.
The family who run the place are so friendly, going out of their way to make your stay comfortable and relaxing. The daughter even helped me organise a sim card for my phone, calling the company on my behalf and showing me how to add credit.

Mumma and Pappa Oudomphong are legends. Mumma would always give us free bananas (as well as tea and coffee) and Pappa would bring us banana chips if we were out the front having a beer.

The beds were comfy enough for a budget backpacker and room was cleaned daily.

The second time I came I had a single room with a double bed. Again, basic but comfortable. Shared bathroom this time - was always clean.
It was noisy...but it was the annual boat festival - so everywhere was noisy.

Will definately come back!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Really important: this is a reference for Oudomphong I, not II. Be sure not to get confused looking for number 2 and end up trying the Number 1! Be careful: they have the same address.

It is a real shame that I have to write this because the rooms weren't that bad, fairly clean (not the cleanest of course) and we had free bananas and tea everyday, plus wifi. BUT it is also important to mention this:

When we first got there asking for a room, they told us a double room with shared bathroom was 80.000 kip and with private bathroom 100.000 kip. We took the shared bathroom for 2 nights but got REALLY sick and had to stay 2 more nights on a private bathroom one. This last one was a room right next to the reception and we could hear during 2 days how they said different prices to different tourist who came asking for rooms. They would change dramatically the price for the same room according to who was asking!!! And we were checking out they were trying to charge us 120.000 per day for the room the told us was 100.000!!

It was definitely disappointing to realize that we were dealing with dishonest staff...

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alegna_Sophie
Reviewed 31 January 2013

My girlfriend and I decided on this place after reading all the great reviews on Tripadvisor and Oudomphong II did not disappoint.

We paid 80,000 kip for a large, secure, clean room with a double bed, hot shower, towels, soap, toilet paper and wi-fi (all the most important traveller essentials). An additional bonus is free unlimited green tea, Lao coffee and water, which you could help yourself to :)

The garden was a lovely place for breakfast and to meet other travellers and the staff were very polite and helpful in booking us onward bus tickets to Phonsavanh.

Finally, they also do a laundry service, bike hire and unlike some of the other places there is someone there to open the gate for you, so you don't get shut out after curfew!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TomHPhoto
Reviewed 3 December 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Oudomphong 2, having initially approached number 1 for a room, but they were full. 2 seemed better, room with a private bathroom for 80,000 kip, nice big size and big window letting in lots of natural light was nice. We could also use the wooden shutters to block out noise and light too. Only slight gripe was construction noise from next door, street noise filtering through at times during the night despite being in a side alley. However, this is Asia and part of the atmosphere everywhere. Otherwise, good quality food and friendly staff.

• Stayed: November 2012