“Excellent class; highly recommended!”

Tamnak Lao Cooking School
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 21 March 2013

We enjoyed our class immensely. We were in a group of about 12 people, all from various places, and between the cook's instructions, and our fun group, we had a really great experience. I don't understand all of the negative reviews; we had a great time. Just sharing with our fellow cooks, we got some great tips for the rest of our trip, which really enriched our vacation. We met interesting people learned about traditional Lao ingredients during the market visit, and learned traditional dishes and techniques. We got a cookbook when we were done with the dishes we made and some more.

We ended up taking 3 more cooking classes on our month-long vacation, one in each country. Each was different, and each was excellent. I recommend taking cooking classes, and I will do this again, no matter where we go. It was a great experience, and I highly recommend this. We did try to take the class at Tamarind, and they were full. However, I have recommended Tamnak Lao to many other travelers we met.

There are newer reviews for Tamnak Lao Cooking School

Reviewed 7 March 2013

I've done many cooking classes in Asia and this was without doubt the worst. Very impersonal. The staff just wanted to quickly show us what to do then leave us to our own devices. Very little guidance. No formal introduction. No laughs. We had to wait 10 minutes for another two people to show and while we were waiting there was no communication from the teachers. So unfriendly. Occasionally laughed amongst themselves. I did the evening course, total waste of money. Was just made to feel awkward. So frustrating as cooking classes have the potential to be so much fun. Learnt nothing. Would not recommend.

Reviewed 16 February 2013

I did the cooking course at Tamnak Lao Cooking School in September 2012 and it was seriously fantastic. Admittedly I was the only person attending the course that day - the two chefs were very attentive, the visit to the market was fascinating and the food delicious and generous in the serving sizes. I'd highly recommend this school.

Reviewed 15 February 2013 via mobile

Inspire by this evening course to recreat the simple dishes at home.
Fairly well paced , and with limited instruction after the initial demo, thus class would be better suited to experienced cooks.
Ingredients and substitutes that could be found in Asian stores back home, a no nonsense approach to Lao cooking.

Reviewed 27 January 2013

Visit to the market was useless and rushed, the cook didn't bother to wait for everyone to be around when "explaining" something, and never repeated anything..

Then the cooks showed us the recipes, one again rushing everything, and then we had to do it ourselves, which is good, but the cooks couldn't care less to what we were doing, they never had a look and were busy doing something else..
They were not friendly at all, never smiling or joking, and it really felt like they didn't want to be there, and just wanted to get it over with...

In the end the "day class" was also really short, and we had our "dinner" at 3PM.. Also, the portions are not that big, they would be ok for 1 person, but you share with your cooking partner.. I did a cooking class in Chiang Mai, for the same price we cooked 7 dishes, one person per wok, and a much better cook and atmosphere!

On the plus side, the food was good, even though the meat was frozen... I mean, for the price we pay, we could at least cook fresh food!!

An other annoying thing: they sell beer to go with your food, but it's 20,000Kip a bottle, twice as much as the normal price!!! I mean, we're already paying (too much) for the lesson, be reasonnable!! My friend and I just went to the shop on the corner and got the same beer for 12,000Kip...

Not recommended, don't get fooled by the fancy restaurant in the front.. Try the Tamarind school!