We stayed here for five nights in late April and loved this little guest house. It has a great location right on the main road next to the night market but is surprisingly very quiet.
There are two buildings: an older building on the road with about four rooms upstairs and a newer two-story building in the rear facing the courtyard. FYI - there are two different owners so once you've settled on a building you'll likely need to stay there for the night. We selected a room on the second floor of the older building, facing the street with one double/queen bed and one twin bed ($30 per night vs $35 in the new wing for 3 people, not including breakfast). The room had hardwood floors, a spacious bathroom, a/c, fan, free water bottles, and a sitting room (separated by wood-paned glass doors) with huge windows facing the street (see attached photo, although it doesn't do it justice).
- Lovely staff - there are several young men who work at the reception desk and also guard the front door overnight so that you can get in after it is locked at 11 PM. We really enjoyed chatting with them and they did their best to make our stay enjoyable.
- Location - again, very convenient to the sights, market, etc
- Simple, clean room, reliable hot water
- Charming old building; we loved the attached sun room facing the street- perfect for early morning reading and reflection (though not air-conditioned like the rest of the room, FYI)
- No trouble getting a room (just walked in off the street)
- Occasional visits by geckos (to be expected)
- Bathroom could be modernized. Also, the cold water faucet on our sink did not turn off without pressing down on the faucet and giving it an extra turn clockwise (not a problem once we figured it out but a little annoying at first)
- I thought the beds were too firm (my friends thought they were fine) but very average compared to other hotels we stayed at in SE Asia
- No in-room safe but we were provided a locked area for our valuables and had no problems
Compared to several other guest houses we looked at, we preferred the Phounsab's location, the spaciousness of the rooms, and reasonable price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are the best kept secret in accommodation in Luang Prabang. Do you want everything Luang Prabang has to offer to be easy access for you? Do you want a safe, quiet, clean and serene room to come back to every day? No need to compromise. Our location is second to none, yet the guesthouse rooms are situated in a beautiful quiet courtyard away from the main road. Everything you wish to do and see, is at your fingertips here (No need to deal with Tuk Tuk drivers): * Early morning monk alms parade is on the main road just in front of the guesthouse. * all the travel agencies to book activities (elephant rides, sight seeing, rent motorcycle, bicycle etc) are next door. * All the restaurants are next door to the left of us. * Lao message parlours and spas are to the left of us, including wonderfull Lao herbal steam sauna (after 4:30pm). * Royal palace, theater and Phousi mountain are to the right of us. * Ferry to cross Makong river and hike (or bicycle) to temple with magical views of Luang Prabang is one block away. * Night market entrance is to our right. Including Fruit shakes, crepes, sandwiches. * Two mini-marts are infront of guesthouse, for your convenience. (open to 11:00pm) * Can park motorcycle and bicycle inside safe guesthouse courtyard. Though the entrance of the guesthouse is on the main road, a long corridor leads to the beautiful and serene courtyard, where your rooms are in total silence. (Also away from temples beating drums at dawn). Our rooms are newly renovated, clean and relaxing with A/C and refrigerator. Hot water and tea and coffe are also available. We welcome you ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Phounsab Guesthouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.