“A great place to relax”

Ranked #41 of 257 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A great place to relax”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

A fabulous location overlooking the Nam Ou river with landscaped grounds and a beautiful infinity pool. The staff are very helpful and gave us lots of excellent advice and assistance. The rooms with balconies overlooking the river and the elephants going to their morning mud baths are superb. A great place for a few days relaxation with river trips to the Pak Ou caves or down river to Luang Prabang ( 90 minutes ) they also provide good bikes to explore the local villages. A great place to stay and around 35 minutes by minibus from LP.

Room Tip: The rooms with balconies overlooking the river are excellent.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

If you don't mind the seclusion (more later), it is a great place to just relax for a few days. With only 4 rooms open at the moment, it feels very exclusive. During my stay, only one other room was occupied. From poolside, the restaurant veranda or the room balcony, the river view is stunning and I felt I could just stare at it all day. Frankly my jaw dropped when I arrived at the resort, and then again when I entered my bungalow room (which they call "villa"), as I wasn't expecting so much for the price I paid (less than $80).

While there nothing much to do in the resort itself except to relax in solitude, marvel at the scenery and swim in the pool or river, there are great tours to fill up the time for a couple of days. Annexed to the resort is an elephant farm with some 8 elephants including a baby one. The 2-hour farm tour was good fun, with the opportunity to bathe the animals in the river. I also enjoyed the trip across and down the river in a private longtail boat to visit rustic villages and the Pak Ou caves.

The key thing to note about this resort is that it is some 35km north of Luang Prabang (less than 1 hour's drive), hidden behind a local village, with no other tourist facilities (shops, restaurants, etc.) within walking distance. It's advisable to arrange with the resort in advance for transport from the airport or Luang Prabang.

Service couldn't be faulted. The resort manager was always helpful, and the resort owner personally drove me to the main road to catch a bus north! The only thing that could be improved is the quality of food which was very average. Given that there weren't other eating options nearby, it made me think twice about staying more than a few days!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank dppr
Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

Just absolutely adored this place! The room we had overlooked the river & was gorgeous with a huge balcony & was spotless! The infinity pool is to die for with amazing views! (Although a little cold ). The main Lodge has huge windows and fabulous views of the river & mountains! The location is lovely..so peaceful! We only stayed 2 nights & I wished we stayed longer! At night lanterns are all lit up outside to guide you to your room! Our room was like a duplex cottage!
We did the elephant ride which was a lot of fun & a trip to the Pak Ou Caves!
The manager was so warm & friendly! So were the staff! They really looked after us!
If I had to make a recommendation it would be to have more choices on the menu & perhaps a choice of cocktails as only beer & wine are available & it would be nice to have a piña coloda or margarita by the pool!
Staff have a little problem understanding English, but we found this throughout our stay in Laos!
We loved this place & highly recommend it :)

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tracy448
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights January 2014. We wanted to head out of LP to experience a bit of the authentic Laos countryside. The stay with Nam Ou Riverside was a big highlight. First of all the whole resort is located about 40 mins outside of LP smack by one of the Mekong tributaries. Fantastic location and great sights all around. Furthermore it neighbours an Elephant farm and several remote villages. We spent one day with a guide exploring the caves and meeting villagers. In addition the whole resort is brand new, just opened. It has a very nice pool area and amazing bungalows the size of our house at home. This place is worth a visit if you want to replenish your energies and get out of LP to see the real Laos.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Praia, Cape Verde
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

We were super happy upon arrival to the hotel. The hotel manager picked us up personally in Luang Prabang and gave us a small tour to the way to the hotel. The hotel is located in a quiet part facing the Nam Ou river.

The hotel is super clean, with a lot of activities and great food and view. The staff was always available and very friendly. They demonstrate a high respect for nature.
There are so many butterflies!!!!! great for butterfly enthusiastics. They have outstanding conditions to keep the elephants (Elephant riding and bath was the highlight of our trip) The little elephant is very cute! always trying to "play" with you and messing around! Very funny.

You can go with the hotel small boat across the river and experience a Whiskey village without the normal tourist activity. You'll be the only tourists there!
You can also learn the traditional fishing methods and watch the sunset on the river (beautiful - try to combine the boat ride, fishing and sunset in one).
You have high quality free bikes!!
The manager was always making sure we got everything we needed and always suggesting new activities and things to see so we would not be bored. You also have a pretty cool pool, but at the time was a bit cold to go in!
They were expanding and I think they will be opening new and cheaper rooms, which is great news for people who are expecting a more "southeast asian friendly price". Expect high quality, amenities, service, food and activities!
Love to go back there! Exceeded our expectations for sure!

Room Tip: Try the bungalows with river view!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank blapoise
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

This was our last stop on a 2 week tour of Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. We had stayed in all kinds of accommodation, the good, bad and the ugly. This place blew us away. We spent 3 nights here and loved every minute of it.
The resort is located in a quiet enclave, along the banks of the Nam Ou River. The "rooms" are full huge villas with enormous bedroom, bathroom (with rain shower) and a large deck overlooking the river.
The property itself is resplendent with flowers and lush growth plus a gorgeous infinity pool.
The staff were amazing as well. The manager exceedingly helpful as well as the young man who served us our every meal. We ate no where but there as the food was delicious.
I would not change a thing about this place. In fact, I am almost afraid to let this secret gem out, but alas, doubt I will be back in Laos for awhile so take my advice and book this one. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: If you are needing to travel back to the Luang Prabang area, hire the long boat. It's a beautif...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

If you like nature and design, this is the place to stay. I just had a really good and relaxing time in this resort, I've got the beautiful bungalow with the wooden trees decoration, including fresh fruits, coffee&tee, private balcony with the river view. The bed was very comfortable and it's a really nice and quiet place, just nature sounds are around you.
I've made a tour and visited the cave by the river, the major temples, the liquor and handicraft village, the art village for hand loom weaving and craft paper making, and Ock Pop Tok School for handcraft with cafe and restaurant. Luang Prabang city is near with many temples, souvenir shops, cafés and restaurants, but I've enjoyed the peaceful stay by the riverside, the swimming pool and elephant ride in the village neighborhood. The staff is very friendly and attentive and can make individual arrangements. The restaurant has local and western food and drinks, just enjoy and relax.

Room Tip: I've stayed at the wooden tree bungalow and I really like it.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo