“Fantastic stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of My Dream Boutique Resort

Ranked #3 of 259 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
“Fantastic stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

We recently spent 3 nights at My Dream, and it was absolutely wonderful. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, (including organising day trips and onward travel) and it was their great service and all the little touches that really made our stay. The free bikes were an excellent extra, but the walk into town is just as pleasant.

• Stayed January 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Owner at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, 5 February 2012
Dear KoalaJones,

Thanks so much! We're glad to hear you felt so well-taken care of. And we're especially pleased you mentioned the tours, excursions, and onward-travel assistance we give. Many guides, such as Lonely Planet, warn travelers - and usually quite rightly - to beware of booking tours and excursions through a hotel. Too often these are just ways for a hotel to make some commission money - there's no concern as to the quality of the excursion.

In our case, however, we are committed to providing our guests with a quality Lao experience and we choose our referrals accordingly. And when, for example, we go off to the bus station and buy your tickets for you and bring them back to the hotel, to you - needless to say, there's no commissions for us there! But we are deeply committed to doing everything we can for our guests. So thanks for the recognition - it's greatly appreciated!

My Dream Boutique Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

We enjoyed 5 nights in My Dream Resort with a 18 months baby; we really recommend the place and the team, exceptionnal with us and our little girl. all the previous comment are good so I will more add things relating to kids and baby;The location is quiet, with an access to the river and few rooms that makes the place cosy; you can enjoy the swimming pool when your baby is doing a rest; they provide babybed ( even if I recommend in Laos to take your own if you travel in country side after ), bike with baby seat and staff always really happy to help me cooking my pasta for the baby or a boiled egg; they cannot provide restaurant for now as they open recently so we either buy food in the town or come back after a restaurant in town or use babysitting, the staff is really friendly with baby so we did it without any concern.
I personnaly like the design of the place; small, raw high quality material, pure and simple design, they told me a japanese designer was in the loop of this.
Last, Evelyn and Mr Somnuek bounsa has been very kind in providing us recommendation and booking to go trekking in smaller village; all was perfect and unexpected....guide, car booking, they did it simply to help and so that we enjoy their country, a big thank you.
last , just be careful with kids with the balcony as the barrier are with big space.......
if you are looking for a small place, friendly, quiet, unique, go there !!!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Owner at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Hello karinesienna,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write and post this. We know that families will appreciate the extra details about how we were able to make your baby, and therefore you too, so comfortable. Lao people really do love children, so it's actually no effort to add those little extras that a family might need!

As for arranging that mini-trip for you, that's important to us. Our owner comes from a remote village, and it means everything to him, and to all of us, that our guests have an authentic "truly Lao" experience when they stay with us.

And finally, we do indeed owe a lot to our designer. She's an amazing person and totally deserves all the kudos she's received on TripAdvisor.

Thanks karinesienna! And come back anytime...

Lugano, Ticino, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

My Dream has been the first stage of our Laos vacation. We booked three nights but then decided to spend there five. New hotel, very charming, located only ten minutes walking from the centre of Luang Prabang in a quiet and popular neighborhood . We spent one night in a room downstairs and then asked to move upstairs in a lovely and spacious room with view on the beautiful garden and on the river. My Dream team is fantastic, very kind, smiley and efficient and always there to help. Please don't miss a Lao massage available directly at the hotel: fantastic! Excellent and accurate breakfast buffet. We had been really lucky to have chosen My Dream and Luang Prabang as our first taste of Laos.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Hello Elisabetta S,

Well, thank you so much for your lovely kind words! It's nice to hear that you feel you had such a great start for your travels in Laos. And yes, in-room massage is so convenient. We have two masseuses we use here, and they both really are excellent. Glad to know our breakfast is still going so well. And as for our staff - as we've said before, we feel very lucky to have them.

We hope the rest of your travels in Laos were marvelous too, and thanks so much for posting this!

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

Rest assured that by booking My Dream you will be staying at a delightful, small hotel with an intimate atmosphere and thoroughly helpful staff keen to take care of your every need. It doesn't really matter that the hotel isn't situated in the old town: it's a short 5 minute drive to the airport (more accurately described as an airfield with tarmac), a 5 minute walk to the bamboo bridge across to the old town, and about the same distance to a couple of nearby restaurants.

The hotel itself is charming - the staff were thoughtful and welcoming, the rooms clean, and the gardens atmospheric. At the price, it seems almost criminal to complain about anything, but in the interests of full & frank disclosure, I'd mention a few things: even by Asian standards, the mattresses are incredibly hard; welcome packs with information on Luang Prabang would have been useful; and the manageress, while undoubtedly friendly, should exercise some discretion in discussing the details of other guests' bookings outloud - this made for an awkward breakfast experience.

The hotel also lacks, and could make great use of, a small bar and comfortable chairs in the lobby for its wandering (and obviously interesting) guests to mingle, share their stories, and watch the sun go down. Without these features, it's certainly a charming place to stay, but not yet a destination you can really enjoy for its own sake.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Owner at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, 28 January 2012
Dear RSammy,

Thank you so very much for this - your review is exactly what the TripAdvisor community looks for when they come to this site. Travelers get straightforward information about where they might want to stay, and hoteliers learn what they're doing right - and more importantly, where they've gone off track. After all, we can't solve a problem if we don't know about it!

We do have many plans for enhancing the My Dream experience. Unfortunately we can't implement them all, all at once. As a newly built hotel (we've been open 12 weeks now) it just isn't fiscally possible to do everything we want to, right away.

We do want to let you know that we will have a bar set up in the lobby as soon as possible, and that currently we do serve wine and beer as well as coffee, tea and soft drinks, in the lobby pavilion. But we clearly need to publicize that more! Yesterday some lounging furniture arrived, making it possible for guests in the lobby pavilion to relax on the terrace that overlooks the pool. We will also be setting up lounge chairs and so on, down at the river side.

And as for the beds, it's pretty easy to soften them, so we think we need to encourage our guests, when they check in, to let us know if they want us to do this.

Thank you again RSammy, for being honest and straightforward with your review! It helps all of us, and that's what TripAdvisor is for.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

My daughters and I stayed at My Dream for two nights during a brief but magical visit to Laos. The staff is INCREDIBLE and go far beyond to satisfy any wish that you may have! The breakfast was delicious and plentiful. The interior design is beautiful using all local materials in an artful way. The intimate resort provide free bikes for your use and it is a short bike ride over the "old bridge" into town. It is nestled on the riverside with gorgeous grounds to wander. My Dream was the highlight of our vacation and I dream longingly to return soon! You will too!

• Stayed January 2012
Dear Sarah Duq,

We're so pleased to hear that we were able to help you make the most of your stay in Luang Prabang! In particular, we appreciate your comments about the garden property. Some guests have asked if we plan on building more rooms, but we've decided not to. We think having such an expanse of natural garden space - and not too manicured either! - is something our guests really enjoy. And thank you for mentioning the staff. They really work hard and they truly care about our guests.

Thanks for writing, and may all your travels be as satisfying as your time in Luang Prabang!

With Best Regards,
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

We stayed in this lovely place for two nights. The manager took us from the bus station for free. When we arrived the manager came to the conclusion that we didn't book for the date we were arriving. The hotel was full, but they arranged that we could stay. The other staff members are kind and very helpful. Because of my girlfriends birthday the manager offered us a birthday cake. Unfortunately I already had ordered one in a nearby restaurant so he offered us (and two friends!) a free glass of red wine. Although the price was a little out of are budget I can recommend this resort to everyone!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StanleyIpkiss008
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Manager at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Hello Stanleylpkiss008,

We're so glad you enjoyed your wine! And yes, the booking was for, as we all figured out, a mismatched day/date and of course the hotel books by date, not day-of-the-week. So when you arrived on the day...!

And now we can tell you how we managed to accommodate you. The manager, who lives on-site, moved out of her room to a little guesthouse down the road so that you could stay. Which is, for us, no big deal. We absolutely want the best for our guests. So that was your other, secret-until-now birthday present - you got to stay in the manager's room!

Thanks so much for writing, and for taking the time to post about your stay with us.

With Best Regards,
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

The staff at my dream resort is wonderful, everyone is incredibly hospitable and accommodating. Every question we had was attentively addressed and I thought in general the level of English from the staff was very good. Breakfast here is excellent, much more variety than other guesthouses we stayed at during our trip, with made-to order eggs, an array of baked goods, delicious jams, fresh fruit, salad and deli meat/cheese.

I was concerned about the location outside of the main town of LP, but it's a very short (5 min) bike ride into town and the free bicycles were very handy and available at all times. Make sure to orient yourselves with a map as we did get lost quite a bit on our first few rides.

The swimming pool is great, although could benefit from a few more lounge chairs and somewhere to get towels. I do hope that the hotel does some more with the beautiful garden in back like putting in some hammocks or lounge chairs, as the space is beautiful but there wasn't anywhere to sit and enjoy it when we were there.

The property is really beautiful and serene, we enjoyed the open air dining room and the views afforded by the location. We stayed in the main guesthouse (not a private bungalow), and the rooms were a fair size and very simple but elegantly decorated. The shower has GREAT pressure but I agree that they need to figure out the drainage system as our bathroom would be wet for the remainder of the day after the shower was used. Also note that the walls are quite thin, so if you are a light sleeper I would suggest trying to stay in a private bungalow.

We absolutely loved our stay here and would certainly come back to My Dream Resort if we return to Laos.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Owner at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Dear Pinnnnnnk,

It’s so nice to hear from you! And thanks for your detailed review – this helps the TripAdvisor community a lot. The extra lounge chairs for the pool, as well as for the garden, are on order. We’re hoping they get here soon!

As for the drainage in the showers, we’ve discovered that if the drain filter-caps are turned upside down, the water flow down the drain improves dramatically. (Once again, proof that the simplest solutions are often the best!) In addition the housekeeping staff now wipe down the bathroom floors every day, to make sure they’re nice and dry.

Oh – and we have new maps that are really terrific!

Thanks again for writing, Pinnnnnnk, and we hope you’ll come back and visit us – and lovely Luang Prabang – sometime soon.