“An oasis” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 259 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“An oasis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

My Dream was like a home away from home. In the middle of journeys to Vietnam, Cambodia and back to Vietnam, our three nights at My Dream in Luang Prabang, Laos was calming and restorative. Mr Somchit, the front office manager, whipped up a sunset tour at a moment's notice, and Evelyn saved the day by personally accompanying us to the local doctor and pharmacist to attend to my unwell son. Each day the staff enquired about his health and went out of their way to help. The accommodation itself was beautiful and understated and the breakfast was delicious. It's been said by many others, but we really didn't want to leave.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over the pool or back garden.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank spacedeb
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Manager at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear 'spacedeb',

First, an apology for not replying to your posting before this. But we are so busy! And that's in no small part because of guests like you, who take the time to post your thoughts about us, here on TripAdvisor.

I do remember Mr Somchit getting that sunset tour organized for you, so quickly. I've known him almost two years now, and I was delighted at how he pulled that together. But not surprised. He's a gem.

And as for the doctor - getting sick in Southeast Asia is a fact of life. What's key is knowing where the best help is, and getting the guest that help, immediately. That way they can be back on their feet and enjoying themselves as quickly as possible. We were so pleased at how quickly your son recovered.

Thank you again 'spacedeb', and we do hope we see you and the family again!

The Management Team
My Dream Boutique Resort.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

Our first foray into SE Asia for this family with teenage children (16 and 13) simply could not have found a better entry point than Luang Prabang and five nights at this new jewel in the town's crown. Everything, from the wonderful staff to the rooms, the setting and not to mention the breakfast, were just great. We had soooo much quality advice and help on getting the most from our stay, including Lao cultural aspects, and found the whole experience very, very special. The challenge here is to review the hotel rather than just run through all the wonderful people who are part of this hotel.
We had two rooms (a double and a twin) next to each other with a lovely balcony overlooking the garden down to the river. The rooms, though new, are designed with an authentic, rustic feel. We found it to be a very quiet setting despite the flow of people from relatively early. The pool got lots of use from all of us either having returned from our adventures or on a lazy day. The bamboo bridge (the shortest way to town) was all part of the experience and even more so at night. The bicyles are new and perfect for the terrain.
This place may be very new but benefits greatly from the owner's depth of experience in hotels in Luang Prabang and he and his team certainly have put together a quality, great value product. Given that the hotel was full each night, the word is out already!

1 Thank Tassie40A
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Owner at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Dear Tassie40A,

Well this is so very kind of you! Thank you so much. In particular, your observation about the "quality advice" aspect of our services, is greatly appreciated. That , as we've noted before, is a priority for us. And even if we are full - as we were when you were here - we strive to give every guest our full attention when they come to us with their questions, whether about visiting a remote village or one of our school projects, or accessing the attractions both in and outside of the town. We promise to keep it up!

Thanks again, and all the best from
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

We recently spent 3 nights at My Dream, and it was absolutely wonderful. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, (including organising day trips and onward travel) and it was their great service and all the little touches that really made our stay. The free bikes were an excellent extra, but the walk into town is just as pleasant.

• Stayed January 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Owner at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, 5 February 2012
Dear KoalaJones,

Thanks so much! We're glad to hear you felt so well-taken care of. And we're especially pleased you mentioned the tours, excursions, and onward-travel assistance we give. Many guides, such as Lonely Planet, warn travelers - and usually quite rightly - to beware of booking tours and excursions through a hotel. Too often these are just ways for a hotel to make some commission money - there's no concern as to the quality of the excursion.

In our case, however, we are committed to providing our guests with a quality Lao experience and we choose our referrals accordingly. And when, for example, we go off to the bus station and buy your tickets for you and bring them back to the hotel, to you - needless to say, there's no commissions for us there! But we are deeply committed to doing everything we can for our guests. So thanks for the recognition - it's greatly appreciated!

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

We enjoyed 5 nights in My Dream Resort with a 18 months baby; we really recommend the place and the team, exceptionnal with us and our little girl. all the previous comment are good so I will more add things relating to kids and baby;The location is quiet, with an access to the river and few rooms that makes the place cosy; you can enjoy the swimming pool when your baby is doing a rest; they provide babybed ( even if I recommend in Laos to take your own if you travel in country side after ), bike with baby seat and staff always really happy to help me cooking my pasta for the baby or a boiled egg; they cannot provide restaurant for now as they open recently so we either buy food in the town or come back after a restaurant in town or use babysitting, the staff is really friendly with baby so we did it without any concern.
I personnaly like the design of the place; small, raw high quality material, pure and simple design, they told me a japanese designer was in the loop of this.
Last, Evelyn and Mr Somnuek bounsa has been very kind in providing us recommendation and booking to go trekking in smaller village; all was perfect and unexpected....guide, car booking, they did it simply to help and so that we enjoy their country, a big thank you.
last , just be careful with kids with the balcony as the barrier are with big space.......
if you are looking for a small place, friendly, quiet, unique, go there !!!!!!!!!

Hello karinesienna,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write and post this. We know that families will appreciate the extra details about how we were able to make your baby, and therefore you too, so comfortable. Lao people really do love children, so it's actually no effort to add those little extras that a family might need!

As for arranging that mini-trip for you, that's important to us. Our owner comes from a remote village, and it means everything to him, and to all of us, that our guests have an authentic "truly Lao" experience when they stay with us.

And finally, we do indeed owe a lot to our designer. She's an amazing person and totally deserves all the kudos she's received on TripAdvisor.

Thanks karinesienna! And come back anytime...

Lugano, Ticino, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

My Dream has been the first stage of our Laos vacation. We booked three nights but then decided to spend there five. New hotel, very charming, located only ten minutes walking from the centre of Luang Prabang in a quiet and popular neighborhood . We spent one night in a room downstairs and then asked to move upstairs in a lovely and spacious room with view on the beautiful garden and on the river. My Dream team is fantastic, very kind, smiley and efficient and always there to help. Please don't miss a Lao massage available directly at the hotel: fantastic! Excellent and accurate breakfast buffet. We had been really lucky to have chosen My Dream and Luang Prabang as our first taste of Laos.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Hello Elisabetta S,

Well, thank you so much for your lovely kind words! It's nice to hear that you feel you had such a great start for your travels in Laos. And yes, in-room massage is so convenient. We have two masseuses we use here, and they both really are excellent. Glad to know our breakfast is still going so well. And as for our staff - as we've said before, we feel very lucky to have them.

We hope the rest of your travels in Laos were marvelous too, and thanks so much for posting this!

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

Rest assured that by booking My Dream you will be staying at a delightful, small hotel with an intimate atmosphere and thoroughly helpful staff keen to take care of your every need. It doesn't really matter that the hotel isn't situated in the old town: it's a short 5 minute drive to the airport (more accurately described as an airfield with tarmac), a 5 minute walk to the bamboo bridge across to the old town, and about the same distance to a couple of nearby restaurants.

The hotel itself is charming - the staff were thoughtful and welcoming, the rooms clean, and the gardens atmospheric. At the price, it seems almost criminal to complain about anything, but in the interests of full & frank disclosure, I'd mention a few things: even by Asian standards, the mattresses are incredibly hard; welcome packs with information on Luang Prabang would have been useful; and the manageress, while undoubtedly friendly, should exercise some discretion in discussing the details of other guests' bookings outloud - this made for an awkward breakfast experience.

The hotel also lacks, and could make great use of, a small bar and comfortable chairs in the lobby for its wandering (and obviously interesting) guests to mingle, share their stories, and watch the sun go down. Without these features, it's certainly a charming place to stay, but not yet a destination you can really enjoy for its own sake.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SomnuekLuangPrabang, Owner at My Dream Boutique Resort, responded to this review, 28 January 2012
Dear RSammy,

Thank you so very much for this - your review is exactly what the TripAdvisor community looks for when they come to this site. Travelers get straightforward information about where they might want to stay, and hoteliers learn what they're doing right - and more importantly, where they've gone off track. After all, we can't solve a problem if we don't know about it!

We do have many plans for enhancing the My Dream experience. Unfortunately we can't implement them all, all at once. As a newly built hotel (we've been open 12 weeks now) it just isn't fiscally possible to do everything we want to, right away.

We do want to let you know that we will have a bar set up in the lobby as soon as possible, and that currently we do serve wine and beer as well as coffee, tea and soft drinks, in the lobby pavilion. But we clearly need to publicize that more! Yesterday some lounging furniture arrived, making it possible for guests in the lobby pavilion to relax on the terrace that overlooks the pool. We will also be setting up lounge chairs and so on, down at the river side.

And as for the beds, it's pretty easy to soften them, so we think we need to encourage our guests, when they check in, to let us know if they want us to do this.

Thank you again RSammy, for being honest and straightforward with your review! It helps all of us, and that's what TripAdvisor is for.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

My daughters and I stayed at My Dream for two nights during a brief but magical visit to Laos. The staff is INCREDIBLE and go far beyond to satisfy any wish that you may have! The breakfast was delicious and plentiful. The interior design is beautiful using all local materials in an artful way. The intimate resort provide free bikes for your use and it is a short bike ride over the "old bridge" into town. It is nestled on the riverside with gorgeous grounds to wander. My Dream was the highlight of our vacation and I dream longingly to return soon! You will too!

• Stayed January 2012
Dear Sarah Duq,

We're so pleased to hear that we were able to help you make the most of your stay in Luang Prabang! In particular, we appreciate your comments about the garden property. Some guests have asked if we plan on building more rooms, but we've decided not to. We think having such an expanse of natural garden space - and not too manicured either! - is something our guests really enjoy. And thank you for mentioning the staff. They really work hard and they truly care about our guests.

Thanks for writing, and may all your travels be as satisfying as your time in Luang Prabang!

With Best Regards,