“Great hotel on the banks of the Mekong River”

Mekong Holiday Villa by Xandria
Malvern, United Kingdom
“Great hotel on the banks of the Mekong River”
Reviewed 28 January 2012

This hotel is a sister hotel to Mounglao Riverside but is vastly different. We had a delightful room with a nice bathroom with plenty of hot water in the shower. The price of $40 is more than we have paid elsewhere on our travels in Asia for better accommodation but it seems Luang Prabang gets away with higher charges all round.

The room was very clean with comfy beds, a wardrobe and dressing table.

Breakfast is served on the terrace alongside the hotel. There is a daily breakfast menu that rotates which is good but there is no choice or no chance of having any more. It was well presented and cooked.

Staff as at Mounglao were very helpful.

We would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Korean first
Melaka, Malaysia
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I was told that, due to overbooking at Muanglao Riverside, I had been upgraded to a bigger room at sister property, Holiday Villa by Xandria. The Indian manager sneered at me because I booked last minutes, hence the overbooking. I actually booked in September but according to him, the rooms were taken up 6 months ago.

I did not see the rooms at Muanglao but I certainly prefer it over Holiday Villa which is 5 minutes further down the road, close to the wet market. it is a bit noisy with many tuk tuk gathering across the road all day.

The garden view room I stay at Holiday Villa was quite spacious but it looked tired and the dark wood attracts a lot of mosquitos which the hotel did not address by providing coil or spray. I had to close the window and turn air cond to high power to get rid of mosquitoes.

The worst aspect of my stay was the staff. Breakfast staff was uninterested and spoke little English. The smiley male reception was worse as he tried to lie to rip me off numerous times.

He told me I had to pay USD20 for my full Y class flight change, he would drove me to airline office to amend. I later called local agent to revalidate for free. He short changed me twice when I asked him to arrange airport taxi for USD10. I later found out at airport from the driver that the fare of USD6 was not paid to him. I insisted that hotel had charged me and I would not pay it to the driver again.

I did not bother to write to hotel as I won't be going back to this hotel group again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank AlexMcca
Luang Prabang
Reviewed 27 September 2011

I visit Luang Prabang at least once a year. My most recent stay was at this 10 room hotel located on the Mekong River across the street from the Royal Museum, a minute's walk to the incredibly interesting Morning Market, 2 minutes to the levy where the Thailand boats land, 3 minutes to the Night Market and only shortly greater distances to almost every other attraction.

In addition to the unmatchable convenience of the location, the rooms are beautiful, the bedding luxurious, the bathrooms spacious & the included breakfast impressive. The ownership of the hotel (and its name) had changed just a few days before my stay, I was told, Yet the staff clearly had its act together and nearly everything was to the standards associated with the brand "XANDRIA."

I was shown several different rooms, and each seemed as attractive as mine, which had a spectacular view of the mighty Mekong & much of the river activity. There was the standard (for Laos) 40 to 50 channels of cable tv with a good-sized screen. The Wi-Fi internet was at least as fast as any I've found in Luang Prabang, although this impressive speed could well vary day to day or week to week.

The staff was in the process of equipping a bar on the spacious veranda, and there were plans to make an outdoor restaurant across the street directly on the river bank. However, an ample variety of every kind of restaurant exists within 500 meters already.

I will stay there again on my next visit and let you know how these improvements have worked out. My instinct is that this soon will become one of the best places to stay in the Royal Capital.

Although only a couple of years old, its previous owner, the Lao family who lives next door, was not experienced in the hospitality business, and the hotel's potential was not well developed, according to my Lao friends. My hope is that the very special personal attention I was given by the staff will not change with its inevitable growth in popularity.

Room Tip: Try to get an upper floor room with a view of the river or the Royal Palace.