Aham Corner Guesthouse (Aussie Sports Bar & Guesthouse)
Ranked #72 of 261 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Bonn, Deutschland
“Great Experience”
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Dear John,

thank you for having us at your Guesthouse and Bar in March! We felt great and enjoyed every minute of our stay!
Our Room was nice, the food very good and a great change to what we ate normaly during our south-east-asia trip. Serving the beer bottles on ice probably was the best idea you ever had. The property is located conveniently calm but central.
You were a great host, conducted your staff perfectly and helped us out with a variety of tips to have a good time in Luang Prabang.

We intended to stay two nights but endet up to stay six nights.

To everybody: Stay (and eat!) here!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 27 February 2013

Great place to stay with personable service. Very clean and comfortable with the softest sheets you'll find in Asia. Easy walk to the main area of the city, both river fronts, the night markets and Phousi Hill. John and his staff were really helpful with advice for activities during my stay. The sports bar and restaurant downstairs are also great for a meal, drink & keeping up with sports. I also didn't hear the bar though when I wanted an early night. You pay for what you get & I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Not many rooms so book ahead!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Melrog777
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 26 January 2013

I like to hit the Pizz a bit and this place originally appealed to me because I was travelling as a solo female in a country I knew little about. I reckoned that it would be good to be able to knock a few back and be very close to my room. One box checked.

This place is great.

The beds are, relative to the rest of SE Asia (aside from Pullmans and Tune hotels) very comfortable. The bed linen is good quality. I really noticed how good the bed and the linen were when I came back for a second visit after visiting some of the more more remote areas of northern Laos. The only thing better when I returned than hearing John say that my room was ready was when I actually went to bed that night. Heaven.

If you've been travelling for awhile, this place will be a relief. You get a good bed, good linen, hot shower, reliable wifi and friendly service without any undertones or cultural misunderstandings. There was no worry that I was being put onto some provider in order to get a kick back or tea money. John and Jenny were impartial in the advice they dispensed. It was my wellbeing they were concerned with.

John and Jenny helped me with things apart from my basic accommodation needs. I was given great, quick and convenient advice on getting some antibiotics, purchasing DVDs, excursions, other restaurants, cooking schools, etc etc. They even arranged a very early morning tuk tuk driver for me.

The value of knowing that things will be as planned is priceless. From the relief of having my room ready on my return from remote areas to the relief of of having a tuk tuk driver being there when I asked and only expecting what was agreed (especially when you can not take the currency out of the country). It is all good and a taste of home.

In short, staying at the Aussie Sports Pub and Guest House was probably better than staying with family. Thanks, Jenny and John.

Room Tip: I stayed downstairs. I do not know what the upsatirs is like.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank michelle c
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I moved to this guest house after spending my previous night in a pretty nasty place just out of town. After a heavy New Years party I was in need of some quality comfort and a decent meal...
John the owner and his staff provided exactly that.... My room on the 1st floor was big,clean,had a big hot shower, good wifi,tv and air con...these rooms upstairs also have a really cool balcony area that runs along the two front sides of the building looking out over the street,a perfect place to chill out.... The restaurant here also serves some delicious food,and lots of it too.... And if its desserts that you're into, then just try one... They are awesome!!!!!

Room Tip: Pay a little more and go upstairs...!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank youngblood2001
perth
Reviewed 30 November 2012

After the 2 day slow boat from Houay Xai arrived at the aussie sports bar, john the owner i think could tell we were exhausted and get us straight into our room.. we got one of the cheaper rooms downstairs and it was awesome and comfortable(made me wonder how good the rooms upstairs are) Straight into the proper rain shower which was an unexpected luxury. Decent sized flat screen tv with hbo movies, cnn, bbc and on epl night had 4 games showing on different stations concurrently! Bed was abit softer than the average se asia hotel room and along with the 2 sets of doors to block out light/noise and modern quite aircon made for a good nights sleep! My only qualm would be that breakfast is quite expensive once you add in a basic bacon and eggs and a juice or coffee for 2 people maybe even if breakfast isnt included a discount could be offered to people staying at the guest house. Food at the bar was invariably good western food with large portion sizes and make sure you get a dish with the homestyle chips! Staff were all very friendly and felt safe and secure (they offered to take my hired moto into the bar after lockup behind where security guard slept!) Highly recommended!

Room Tip: The cheaper rooms downstairs are great value!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jimburns4u
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I am staying here now and it will be hard to leave tomorrow but will be Back in a few days.I'm staying upstairs in there guesthouse and its so clean and comfortable the bed is great free wifi which works even for a clear Skye call.the host John and he's wife have been so helpfully I couldn't thank them enough. There staff are all friendly and very honest The beer is the coldest I think in Asia served in big ice buckets to keep it cold,not really into eating Aussie food when traveling until I tried the food down stairs in the Aussie sports bar the town and bar close early so it's just a treat ! chilling upstairs with a cold beer on your privet table and chairs with books to read and swoop.this place is worth a look!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank buddlefish
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 7 September 2012

And stay at the Aussie Guesthouse.

Home comforts while traveling abroad are hard to come by and after nearly four months in S.E. Asia, I had all but given up on finding any - then I walked into the Aussie Guesthouse with their beautiful, spotless rooms, breezy wooden porch, and smiling staff. Proprietor John, despite running a restaurant downstairs (that whips up some DELICIOUS plates - especially the Chicken Parmesan and the breakfast sandwich with BBQ sauce) was endlessly helpful with dining recommendations, pointing us in the direction of some unforgettable establishments. Our plan was to stay for no more than three nights, but after one day of the Aussie Guesthouse's charm, we extended our stay to eleven nights and loved each one.

A wonderful place for weary travelers to relax and recharge. Thank you, John and the Aussie Guesthouse for helping us regain our travel gumption!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple