“An interesting experience”

Perth, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“An interesting experience”
Reviewed 7 February 2012

This was my first herbal steam bath experience and although interesting, was rather average. We were told we had to have massages before using the steam room when it should really be the other way round. During the whole massage all we could hear were loud, drunk backpackers from the guesthouse next door. It was extremely off putting. The massage beds smelt of stale sweat and the staff weren't overly friendly. We had the impression that we were being mocked as we went to pay. There are better places in Luang Prabang for massages.

3 Thank Mishka_S

Melbourne, Australia
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Short-changed on length and a pretty lousy massage”
Reviewed 25 January 2012

My friend and I went here on Saturday - have been before and I wasn't impressed but decided to give it another go. She wanted 30mins and got about 22mins of something more like gentle stroking than a back massage for her sore back (as explained in Lao to the staff).
Mine was ok. Not terrible but not really good, and then at the end I realised mine was not the hour I paid for either. The expectation of a tip at the end was a bit much!
MUCH better places to go in LPB.

5 Thank Kawaskuri
Auckland, New Zealand
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Pretty massage place”
Reviewed 11 January 2012

In a wooden hut just off the main street, is this perfect little sanctuary of massage. Staff and kind and good masseuses, and the setting is perfect. You are surrounded by birds in trees, giggling children, and the wood hut is nice and airy. We got two great massages there, and they were cheap too.

2 Thank hanamiko
Bangkok, Thailand
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 147 helpful votes
“Unique experience”
Reviewed 3 September 2011

I'm an old hand at the Thai massages so I decided to try the herbal massage when I stumbled across this place - wonderful!

The spa itself is open form with light sheeting affording a modicum of privacy, the treatment starts with you taking a shower (think ladling water over yourself from a bucket in a toilet/wash room, a little icky) before a massage that take two parts. The first part light accupressure - very pleasant & relaxing. The second is the herbal massage itself this basically entails being rubbed (almost) all over with bags of herbs dipped in what feels like boiling water, the combination of heat, pressure and aroma was astonishingly invigorating after a long day of walking and at 50,000 kip a complete bargain.

There is also a Lao sauna onsite which I wished I'd tried!

Would heartily recommend, hope this is helpful.

Visited August 2011