“Excellent stay, friendly and helpful staff”
Review of Lao Lu Lodge

Lao Lu Lodge
Reviewed 9 May 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed in Lao Lu Lodge for 5 nights in late March, 2013 based on Tripadvisor reviews and we were not disappointed with our choice.

Across the 5 nights we actually ended up staying in 3 separate rooms because we extended our stay by an extra day twice. The reception staff were very accommodating with our last minute changes of plan. We stayed 3 nights in a double room, 1 night in a twin room and the last night in the triple room. Each room was a slightly different configuration but all 3 were exceptionally clean, tidy and well looked after with lovely dark wooden fittings throughout. The rooms came with comfortable beds, 2 or 3 lovely French style windows with external shutters, bedside tables, a metre long open wardrobe rail to hang your clothes, good air-conditioning and a separate wall mounted fan. There was also a writing desk with stool (twin room only) and a table and two chairs in the open sided corridor outside each room which offered a really pleasant and peaceful place to relax.

The staff spoke good English and were extremely helpful with our activities whilst in Luang Prabang giving great advice on where to stand for the Monk Giving of Alms (disappointing given the stupid invasive foreigners who think its appropriate to shove their cameras in the monks' faces!), Kuang Si Waterfall visit (absolutely incredible), day/ night markets to visit, onward travel to Vang Vieng (a hole, don't bother!), etc. They were also very welcoming whenever we arrived back to the lodge. I think they genuinely cared about how our day had been and wanted to practise their English which was sweet. There was no pressure to book anything with them unlike other accommodation we've stayed at in south east Asia.

Breakfast was basic but tasty consisting of 2 eggs any style with bread and butter and fresh fruit, served in the lovely partially outdoor seating area at the front of the lodge by reception. The lodge offered free tea, coffee and water (from a dispenser) all day long which was a nice touch.

In terms of location, Lao Lu Lodge couldn't have been better placed. It was in a quiet, narrow side street but right on top of the morning market and night market (along the main road that goes through LP) but not too close as to make it noisy. It was also less than 5 minutes walk to the Mekong River.

All in all, we had a fantastic stay at Lao Lu Lodge. The whole place felt clean, tidy and very friendly and we'd have no hesitation at staying again if ever in LP.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jpw222

Reviewed 9 May 2013

We stayed here 2 nights while in Luang Prabang, and I wish we stayed here longer. The location is quite central, under 5 minutes to the main market on Sisavangvong Road, as well as many of the old town locations and both rivers. Very clean and tastefully decorated rooms, with a nice bathroom, AC, wifi, breakfast. All for around $12USD PP. So great. Owner was helpful. Only negative was that the main gate closes at a certain time. This was a problem when I wanted to go out late and come back.. but otherwise a perfect stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 April 2013

It was the first time I was traveling by myself in this region and I just tried to find a nice and safe place to stay at a reasonable price, where I can reach everything within walking distance, and Lao Lu Lodge was just everything I could ask for!

You can access the guest house either from the river side or from the night market. It's close to everything. The morning market is just right at your door step. My room was on the 2nd floor with A/C, but I would have made it just with the fan too. The setting of the place was just really cool and made you feel like home.

The breakfast was simple, but good enough. A baguette, eggs of your choice, jam, butter with tea/coffee and fresh fruit.

The staff were just nice and helpful. They welcomed all guests with smiles and all guests were happy.

Just be careful if you want to stay out late, make sure you drop your key at the reception, so that they know some people are still out, otherwise they will lock the gate for security and you might end up climbing the gate at 2.30am like I did! :D

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Tabtim
Reviewed 18 March 2013

This is the best hotel that I have stayed at in 20 years of backpacking. The hotel is simple. In a quiet location, but close to the river, the morning market, the night market, the Royal Palace museum and many restaurants. The rate includes breakfast which is good. The hotel does not have a restaurant or bar, but there are plenty nearby in all price ranges (night stalls to luxury). The hotel is very popular and usually full, so it is best to book ahead.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Marilyn_Tony
Reviewed 11 February 2013

My partner and I actually stumbled across this place by accident whilst taking a detour up an alley street near the river following a night spent in a tiny guesthouse room. Lucky for us, we enquired with reception as to room availability and they kindly informed us that another couple had just checked out and that we could check in immediately. We stayed in a big double room with a bed so comfortable I forgot I was in SE asia. The bathroom is immaculate with hot water and toilets that flush well beyond standards found elsewhere. The free breakfast everyday is extremely satisfying. The place is removed from the main roads making it very quiet. Laundry and free wifi. Free water / tea and coffee. Everything you need. But the best thing we can possibly say about this place is the friendliness and attentiveness of the wonderful staff. The two Lao men who run reception are some of the nicest people we have met in our travels and are willing to go above and beyond the call of service to make sure you are well looked after. They happily asked about our days activities each night and were genuinely interested in what we were doing. It made the stay all the more better. This is EASILY one of the nicest and best value-for-money places in Luang Prabang.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank c-j-dob
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I was just so lucky to find the last available room in this hotel during peak season of New Year. Everything are just wonderful. I stayed in a single room which is big, nice, clean room with toilet inside and hot water. The wifi works properly. Nice sitting chairs in front of the room. I always enjoy the breakfast in the lovely sitting area in the front yard. The most important is the perfect location which is only 100m from Mekong Riverview, 50m from morning market, 200m from night market and located perfectly behind Royal Palace Museum. With all those facilities, I consider that the price in this hotel is inexpensive and very reasonable. I would certainly recommend my friend to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank 3nd4h
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I stayed with LaoLu several times. The accommodations we very clean and simple and comparatively inexpensive. They were very helpful and willing to help with any problems. For example, they arranged for a very early ride to the bus station. but when my bus was cancelled because no one going deep into the forest that day they put me up again another night. The staff are very helpful. They also have extra amenities such as a laundry service. They serve a lovely hibiscus tea and bananas too. The Lodge is not on a main road so it is very quiet. It is a block from the morning market and only a few blocks from the food and night markets. It is also a block from the river.

Room Tip: They have air-conditioned rooms but If you don't mind a room without aircon it becomes a very in...