“The highlight of my trip”

Tamarind Cooking Courses
More attraction details
Owner description: Tamarind Restaurant in Luang Prabang offers day and evening cooking classes in open air pavilions overlooking lily ponds just outside of town. Participants in day classes are taken there after a visit to the fascinating main market, where they are introduced to the unusual and intriguing ingredients that are the basis of Lao cuisine. From there it is off to Tamarind Gardens to cook Lao dishes in the authentic Lao style. Evening classes are shorter. Individual work stations allow you to follow the instructions of an entertaining and informative Lao teacher, whilst a bevy of staff clean up after you. The sessions end with a sumptuous meal, where you eat the fruits of your labours! Transport to and from Tamarind Restaurant and recipe book all included. Vegetarians welcome.
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I had so much fun doing this cooking class with Tamarind. From the morning market stroll to the lovely cloistered garden in which we learned how to cook Lao-style, this course opened my eyes to the subtleties of Laotian cooking. We had a pretty small group of about 7 people, and we certainly cooked up more than enough food to keep us satiated come lunchtime. The instructor was patient, wise, and very witty. I would definitely recommend this class for any visitor to Luang Prabang!

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

The course, even though it's quite large (12 pax) seems smaller and intimate. It starts with a tour to the market and then you drive to a beautiful place at the countryside where the course takes place. It contained an enough amount of dishes that where well explaned and ther you get to prepare on your own or in a couple and ofcourse enjoy! Don't think twice, just go!

1  Thank yasminarafat
Reviewed 24 April 2014

When travelling I usually avoid like the plague any kind of group tour or activity. But the food I ate at Tamarind Restaurant was so exhilarating I signed up for the cooking class. Still, I almost pulled out, anticipating with some dread spending a whole day in an organised group activity. Well, all I can say us I'm very glad I went along because it was fantastic, one of the best things I've done. The chef/ instructor was charming and funny but also passionate and informative, a natural teacher as well as a talented chef. . The best thing apart from spending several hours at the very well set up and tranquil Tamarind Gardens was the hands on experiencing of actually recreating the very same food I'd enjoyed so much a couple of nights before in the restaurant. I am a reasonable cook but it was great to demystify a whole lot of processes such as cooking with banana leaf and stuffing a stalk of lemongrass with chicken (that 's right, not the other way round). There was a richness to the experience and a clear sense that the Tamarind people have a deep and genuine respect for the traditions of Laos and cooking. Seriously, I cannot recommend it highly enough. Just got home and itching to cook the food I made that day for dear friends. Fortunately the course includes a cookbook with the recipes you make on the day and more.

2  Thank LakembaKid
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We chose the all-day class from 9am to 3pm. This was the most expensive cooking class on our trip (280,000 kip = $35, compared to Chiang Mai: $26, Vietnam: $30, and Cambodia: $22), and also the one with the most people (we had about 10 in our group). We didn't get much individual attention, but the instructor was entertaining and spoke English well. The whole operation was efficient and organized, and the garden scenery was beautiful. The market tour was okay (you can easily explore it on your own), and the ride to the pavilion outside of town was a bit bumpy and uncomfortable, but we enjoyed seeing the countryside. All the dishes tasted good, especially the sticky rice, tomato jeow, and stuffed lemongrass, which I still make at home when I want to impress company. The cookbook they gave us at the end had clear directions. However, if you don't have the time/money, I've seen the same recipes online; they're not hard to make and don't require special instruction.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

This was an awesome cooking class. The instructor was an entertaining guy, so altought preparing & cooking 5 dishes isn’t exactly a cakewalk, i enjoyed every minute. Everything was well organized, stuff was very friendly & helpful and one of the best things was the beautiful setting.
The only one downer was the the large group of 12 people - i would prefer smaller classes to run a chance for asking the chef some questions and get more assistance.