“Luang Prabang is lovely - don't ruin it by staying here”

Mao Pha Shok Guesthouse
Mao Pha Shok Guesthouse
Ranked #199 of 261 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
“Luang Prabang is lovely - don't ruin it by staying here”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My first mistake was not booking a hostel in advance of arriving in Luang Prabang on the slow boat from the Thai border. I was then forced to pick between the numerous persistent guys at the pier. After a lot of haggling, a tuk-tuk driver took me and some fellow backpackers to Mao Pha Shok which we regretfully settled for out of tiredness. To save money we asked if they could put 3 of us in a double room after putting a spare mattress on the floor - which they agreed to do. The rooms aren't in great condition, and the bathroom stank of eggs every time the toilet was flushed. Leaky sinks and the room often flooded a bit after using the shower. The hostel as a whole didn't fill you with confidence that it was very secure as the odd unoccupied rooms were left unlocked.

The good points (which don't quite outweigh the negatives):
- good location very near to the popular Utopia bar, Australian sports bar and Mount Phousi.
- one of the staff had excellent English and was helpful in booking onwards transport, although if he wasn't around you were left a bit stuck trying to get any help from the other staff
- free bananas and coffee all day

The hostel next door Phonthida Guest House is a better option if you like the location - but I'm sure there are still many better hostels nearby that will make your stay in this beautiful city much more enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

We got picked up at the pier by a very friendly young man who talked us into staying at his guesthouse. By the time we got there he had already put the price up, other people were having the same problem too. Admittedly the room was ok but the rudeness of the staff tainted our stay beyond caring how the room was! We arrived back to the guesthouse at 11:30pm as per the curfew in Luang Prabang ,we were immediately pounced upon by the 'friendly young man' who was sleeping in the reception on the floor. Shouting so rudely and loudly at us it was ridiculous. 'YOU MUST GO TO BED NOW!!! DON'T MAKE ME COME OUT HERE AGAIN!!! I WILL BE VERY ANGRY IF I COME OUT HERE AGAIN!!!' We had just got back, and we were not noisy. I can't believe he talks to people like that.

We booked our onward bus through the guest house. We were told by the guest house we would be picked up at 1pm, our pick up didn't arrive till 2:30pm! There were no staff at the guesthouse to ask about our pick up, we were so worried for 1 and a half hours thinking they had just taken our money and not booked the bus as he refused to give us a receipt or ticket.

Don't stay here!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Luang Prabang hotels

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Room is not clean ,very thin blanket!
Every hour have very noise from people drunk,barking,baby cry.. Etc but no have staff of guest house stop it!!! In Luang prabang have many guest house u can choose another place not here!!! It's terrible not comfortable many dogs around guest house. Don't come..!

Stayed November 2013
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights. Paid extra for wifi in rooms but didn't get it and extra fm for air con which wasn't great. The rooms we had in the new building was very large. It was cleanish, if you didn't look at the corners. The shower had hot water and the bathroom was clean. A cheap place to put your head down

Reviewed 27 September 2013

We were greeted from slow boat as we got to Luang Prabang the photos they carried made the rooms look lovely and clean so we told the tuk tuk driver to take us straight there. It looked excellent value for money for the very right budget we were on.
As promised we got hot showers in a barely clean bathroom.
As we were unpacking one of the host of the guest greeted us like old friends with a large hug and a longer than necessary kiss on the cheek. Slightly uncomfortable.
We paid an extra 10,000 kip for wifi in the rooms, this was not the case and continually had to go into the reception area in order to use the Internet. Due to the time difference we are unable to contact home till late hours in the evening not made easy when wifi does not work in the room, leaving us to retreat outside due to guesthouse staff camping in hotel reception. After five minutes of skyping friends back home, the staff shouted from reception for us to go to our rooms, I phrase not shouted at me since I was 12 years old.
The next morning whilst checking emails in reception the seedier of the two 'managers' sat next to me reading over my shoulder I swiftly put my phone away feeling uncomfortable, he then said to me 'no it's ok I just want to sit next to you' to which I replied 'why?' 'Because there is something in my heart for you' .... WHAT!!!? I never felt more uncomfortable in my entire life, I just had to get up and walk away.
To any other backpackers who get entised to this cheap guesthouse be very prepared to encounter unfriendly, difficult, creepy staff. We could not wait to check out.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

We were met at the slow boat pier by a nice young man offering us what sounded like a great deal. Hot shower, free tea, coffee, water, bananas. Close to town & clean, all for 40,000 kip. I asked for wifi in the room he said for 40,000 kip you get wifi in the corridor outside the room. I said no thanks, so he said for 60,000 kip you can get a room with wifi inside. So i said ok. After paying 80,000 kip to transport 4 of us to the guesthouse ( standard procedure now ) we found the rooms damp & musty with no mosquito guards, no free water or bananas. The rooms were just clean enough to handle but with luke warm water. Worst of all there was no wifi in the room or outside in the corridor. I asked the teenage desk clerk what was going on & his reply was well just leave then but you will still pay 60,000 kip. So we paid an extra 20,000 kip for absolutely nothing & were refused a refund of it?!

Room Tip: Make sure you get upstairs & do not pay extra for in room wifi as it doesnt exist. You also wont...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Weelee81
Arnhem, The Netherlands
Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

We were stupid enough to go here with a tuktuk directly from the famous slowboat. We stayed in 3 different rooms because of water damage and noise. The difference between the rooms can be quite big, so make sure you see them all first before you pick one. I have to be honest; the rooms itself are ok. The beds are Laos hard and I found a lost cockroach, but it was alright. The young guys who run the place are very busy with their computers and phones. They tried to let us pay twice for a night, but we could show the receipts, very important you save them! One guy is always trying to flirt/hook up with female solo travellers. If one girl leaves he will try with the next one. Not very proffesional. At night the guys indeed sleep on the floor in de lobby, which is kind of weird. They also really want to sell you bustickets! It was just not the place for me.

1 Thank MaartjeRoelofs