“DON'T STAY HERE!”

Ranked #201 of 257 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“DON'T STAY HERE!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Accommodation in Luang probing we found is slightly more expensive then most places in SE Asia and this was the only place we could find an air con room for $10. However it was probably the worst $10 you can spend. The wifi is there but so slow that it takes over an hour to load a page, the air con blows out hot air, (it was 38 degrees outside and when we stepped out our room it was genuinely cooler outside), and the staff are beyond rude. We went down at around midnight because we could not sleep as the aircon would not work and asked if we could maybe move rooms or if they could help fix it. However the response we got was to be shouted at! The next morning we promptly checked out after a sleepless night and headed to one of the many nicer guest-houses nearby. When we refused to pay the full price of the aircon room (we still offered to pay the price of a fan room, when really we shouldn't of given them a dime) he threw a paddy as if we were in the wrong. Also several times we wanted to book different things at the hotel (before all the drama with them) and not once out of six or seven times was there some one at reception. The Two men spend their entire time out on the streets dragging people to this hotel and then forget about any guests actually staying there. On the up side you could probably leave without paying and they wouldn't notice you had gone as they take no record of who you are when you arrive. (I strongly recommend you only stay here if you want to try this tactic).

Room Tip: A room in a different hotel!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

This place is terrible, paid for a room with wifi and tv...but neither worked. I asked for it to be fixed from day one, and they kept telling me they would....5 days later at the end of my stay-still not fixed. If you are looking for a homely place to stay with good service-THIS IS NOT IT.
....not to mention they lost a girls passport (she rented a scooter) while we were there and didn't care in the slightest.

• Stayed May 2014

Travellers are raving about these Luang Prabang hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

My first mistake was not booking a hostel in advance of arriving in Luang Prabang on the slow boat from the Thai border. I was then forced to pick between the numerous persistent guys at the pier. After a lot of haggling, a tuk-tuk driver took me and some fellow backpackers to Mao Pha Shok which we regretfully settled for out of tiredness. To save money we asked if they could put 3 of us in a double room after putting a spare mattress on the floor - which they agreed to do. The rooms aren't in great condition, and the bathroom stank of eggs every time the toilet was flushed. Leaky sinks and the room often flooded a bit after using the shower. The hostel as a whole didn't fill you with confidence that it was very secure as the odd unoccupied rooms were left unlocked.

The good points (which don't quite outweigh the negatives):
- good location very near to the popular Utopia bar, Australian sports bar and Mount Phousi.
- one of the staff had excellent English and was helpful in booking onwards transport, although if he wasn't around you were left a bit stuck trying to get any help from the other staff
- free bananas and coffee all day

The hostel next door Phonthida Guest House is a better option if you like the location - but I'm sure there are still many better hostels nearby that will make your stay in this beautiful city much more enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

We got picked up at the pier by a very friendly young man who talked us into staying at his guesthouse. By the time we got there he had already put the price up, other people were having the same problem too. Admittedly the room was ok but the rudeness of the staff tainted our stay beyond caring how the room was! We arrived back to the guesthouse at 11:30pm as per the curfew in Luang Prabang ,we were immediately pounced upon by the 'friendly young man' who was sleeping in the reception on the floor. Shouting so rudely and loudly at us it was ridiculous. 'YOU MUST GO TO BED NOW!!! DON'T MAKE ME COME OUT HERE AGAIN!!! I WILL BE VERY ANGRY IF I COME OUT HERE AGAIN!!!' We had just got back, and we were not noisy. I can't believe he talks to people like that.

We booked our onward bus through the guest house. We were told by the guest house we would be picked up at 1pm, our pick up didn't arrive till 2:30pm! There were no staff at the guesthouse to ask about our pick up, we were so worried for 1 and a half hours thinking they had just taken our money and not booked the bus as he refused to give us a receipt or ticket.

Don't stay here!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Chiang Mai, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Room is not clean ,very thin blanket!
Every hour have very noise from people drunk,barking,baby cry.. Etc but no have staff of guest house stop it!!! In Luang prabang have many guest house u can choose another place not here!!! It's terrible not comfortable many dogs around guest house. Don't come..!

Stayed November 2013
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights. Paid extra for wifi in rooms but didn't get it and extra fm for air con which wasn't great. The rooms we had in the new building was very large. It was cleanish, if you didn't look at the corners. The shower had hot water and the bathroom was clean. A cheap place to put your head down

• Stayed September 2013
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

We were greeted from slow boat as we got to Luang Prabang the photos they carried made the rooms look lovely and clean so we told the tuk tuk driver to take us straight there. It looked excellent value for money for the very right budget we were on.
As promised we got hot showers in a barely clean bathroom.
As we were unpacking one of the host of the guest greeted us like old friends with a large hug and a longer than necessary kiss on the cheek. Slightly uncomfortable.
We paid an extra 10,000 kip for wifi in the rooms, this was not the case and continually had to go into the reception area in order to use the Internet. Due to the time difference we are unable to contact home till late hours in the evening not made easy when wifi does not work in the room, leaving us to retreat outside due to guesthouse staff camping in hotel reception. After five minutes of skyping friends back home, the staff shouted from reception for us to go to our rooms, I phrase not shouted at me since I was 12 years old.
The next morning whilst checking emails in reception the seedier of the two 'managers' sat next to me reading over my shoulder I swiftly put my phone away feeling uncomfortable, he then said to me 'no it's ok I just want to sit next to you' to which I replied 'why?' 'Because there is something in my heart for you' .... WHAT!!!? I never felt more uncomfortable in my entire life, I just had to get up and walk away.
To any other backpackers who get entised to this cheap guesthouse be very prepared to encounter unfriendly, difficult, creepy staff. We could not wait to check out.

• Stayed September 2013