“Beautiful rooms with views of mekong”

Tha Heua Me Guest House
Ranked #98 of 269 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Just left this guesthouse yesterday after 4 nights here. We originally stayed at the Manichan guesthouse which was lovely but a little pricey for us so we moved here. I we had the large double at the front (room 999) which looked over the balcony onto the Mekong. I rooms are stunning. Amazing wooden floors and very new, but so it feels more like a hotel! I great location as only 5 mins walk from the slow boat dock and 5 mins from the night market. We paid 200,000 kip per night. The staff are fine, but they have basic English but we found them friendly. Showers are powerful too which is a nice change! Rooms have free wifi, and new tvs, and air con and fans but the rooms are pretty cool so these are really an added bonus. Beds are huge and soooo comfy! This place felt so chic for the price and we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The balcony looks over the road which the monks go down at 6am which is great. I all the rooms can u...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 October 2012

Stayed her in July ... recently renovated..... we had the room upstairs facing the river.. it was very comfortable.... good wifi TV bed...bathroom and quiet at night. The host people don't speak much English but they try their best to please and it was very affordable.

Room Tip: as I said we had the room facing the river which has a communal balcony ....... there are other smal...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Small hotel clean and quiet, on the Mekong side, not far from the food night market. Family very friendly and nice rooms. Acces to a balcony. Air conditioned, hot shower, T.V. ,very clean, decorated rooms, wood everywhere, windows. Five minutes from the center. Just in front of hotel, you can have good breakfast, Laos or western. A very good address. The owner speaks a little bit English. Free wifi.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I stayed at Tha Heua Me Guesthouse for one night and it was probably one of the best rooms I've had during my SE Asia travels. The guesthouse is right on the Mekong River, one block away from the Morning Market, two blocks from the Night Market, 6 Min from the Royal Palace and in general in just very good walking distance to everything in Luang Prabang (although to be fare, that's not too difficult as LPB is really small). The guesthouse has 9 rooms I think and belongs to the midrange options in LPB - you can definitely find cheaper rooms (I heard of 40.000 for a double), but also much more expensive rooms in the same area. Really the guesthouse is only worth considering for room 999 - the room I stayed in. It's on the second floor and has 3 windows facing the Mekong Riverside with unobstructed views and plenty of light. It's very spacious and has beautiful wooden ceiling and floors. The bathroom is high standard, water pressure good and shower properly hot (although a shower curtain would definitely boost the quality even more). Bed is big and comfortable. Aircon included, but not needed. Wifi working decently, but too slow for videos (youtube...). Two more windows on the side of the room. Potential downside is that right in front of the room is a small balcony that is open to all guests. During our stay, nobody used it, so it was perfect, but might be a annoying to have people talking in front of the windows and starring inside. Owners are Lao and adequately friendly although not heart-warming.
All in all, a fantastic room for the money.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Booked by phone on basis of good TA reviews. Arrived but noone was there in reception. Waited and waited. There were some ladies talking in Lao over a calculator on the front balcony, but they took no notice of me standing there with bags so i assume they were not affeliated to GH. After 15 minutes one guy arrives and start talking to the arrogant old ladies at the front, then sees me and coming to check me in. I am a humble traveller, never have problems with people, but i politely point out that it is not very good service to keep me waiting there. And I question why the ladies couldnt help me? That is when it happens. The "lovely host" as someone described him below totally get some mental flip and start SCREAMING and pointing with his finger to his head. I obviously wasnt there to make a fuss, and just try to calm down, not shout back, and ask if he is not overreacting a bit? It was just a comment, and I still were going to stay there. But it doesnt help and i imagined if he was a dog, he would have rabies. I decide to leave as I am a man of priciple, and I think if I am nice to people, they should be nice back. Also, tourist industry is about reputation and I cannot think of a reason why this man deserves one single customer. I dont want to contribute to such a idiot, and merely turn around, and leave without saying a word.

After this encounter I am happy that I left, because later I found another guesthouse, a lovely Gem (B B Guesthouse for just 100k kip that had rooms twice as nice). I had agreed on 20 dollar per night in Heua Me. It is low season, and I think its actually a bit overpricing but I guess you pay for the good location. BB is a few minutes away by walking. If that price is still valid in high season i guess its manageble, but I wouldnt pay 25 or 30 dollars for that. After all, it was quite simple.

But the moral of the story is to support all the good places and not the crazy ones. At least until he learns how to behave and that travellers value good manners. Thats why I am suggesting travellers to continue looking. You will have a great time in Luang Prabang though, the place is awesome.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Mattias S
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We stayed for 3 nights at the same guest house and found it to be a lovely place located strategically close to all the attractions in Luang Prabang i.e. the night market, the alley where they have the 10,000 kip per person buffet, the Mekong river and the route taken by monks during the morning alms procession. Our hosts were nice, did not speak English but did their best to make us feel comfortable. Breakfast is not included but they provide sachets of coffee and hot water as well as bananas. Free wifi (pretty stable) and quietness that makes USD25 for a double room quite affordable. My suggestion though is for you to walk around the same area and only decide on your guest house after checking and comparing them. There are so many options though this one could just be one of the best ones out there.

Ps: We stayed in room 555.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We ended up staying here on the recommendation of Peter from Guesthouse Manichan who handles the bookings for the Lao owners.

We stayed in the king room overlooking the Mekong. Bright and spacious with gorgeous wooden floors. I spent an afternoon reading on the balcony with a Beer Lao and watching the sunset. The bed was comfortable and we slept soundly, only on the second night we did hear the temple drums at 4.30am (we stayed for 3 nights).

As mentioned in other reviews, the owners are quite shy and have limited English but are friendly and helpful. We had to ask for an extra blanket as it was unusually cold for Laos and the room had air-con, but no heater and the owners were happy to oblige.

Location is fantastic, everywhere in LP is walkable and there are many restaurants along the Mekong with outdoor seating. The Royal Palace and a number of wats are also close by. The route for the monks' morning alms-giving goes right past the guesthouse.

Breakfast is not included, they do provide coffee and tea, so we had the famous breakfast around the corner at Manichan (USD$5pp). We were intending to eat there just on the first day, but it was so delicious we went back everyday! Peter was good at providing us with maps and information and it was nice to sit and talk with other travellers. If you don't want to eat here, there are plenty of other options close by.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple