“Great fun with Kids Eager to Learn!”
Review of Big Brother Mouse

Big Brother Mouse
Ranked #4 of 25 Shopping in Luang Prabang
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Help eager young Lao students practice their English through informal conversation. Learn more about their lives and culture, and tell about yours. (Free 2-hour drop-in practice, 9:00-11:00 am and 5:00-7:00 pm.)
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We read a brief review of this place before we left for Luang Prabang, and thought we might check it out if we had time. We ended up going there for 3 separate sessions to help the local kids to practice English skills.

The best experience was probably with one kid who couldn't quite understand us, but if we wrote something down, he could read and immediately answer in near perfect English. We were finally able to figure out that we were the first native English speakers he'd ever tried to communicate with. His learning had all been from books and his non-native English-speaking teachers. He could speak and read almost perfectly, but we sounded odd to him.

It was just one example of the great fun we had meeting the local kids, as well as tourists from various places who also showed up to practice while on their vacations to this great little place.

1  Thank James S

Reviewed 8 August 2013

This place is fantastic, you must go and spend at least one evening with the young guys learning English who blew us away with their friendliness and eagerness to learn. We went on a Sunday evening and ended up going every night we were in Luang Prabang - you really feel like you are helping the kids learn, but more importantly it was just so much fun spending time with them. Don't be shy (as we were to start with), jump right in! The kids will lead the way :)

Reviewed 29 July 2013

After reading a litte about Big Brother Mouse in the lonely planet, my mother, sister (16) and i (17)decided to go check it out. Initially my sister and i were a bit shy but we went and sat next to a young boy and ended up chatting two and a half hours away. We ended up going every evening for the six days that we were in Luang Prabang and we never wanted to leave! We fell in love with all of the young people who come to learn from us travellers and they were so SO appreciative of our help. They are all the kindest people, they were fascinated by our lives in Australia and the places we have been and actually speak English really well. We kept bumping into some of the kids in the night market and around the place and they always greeted us with a warm smile and started off another conversation.
I really really recommend a visit! You will fall in love with them and it makes you feel as if you are really helping these people.

1  Thank Micaela B
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We went and sourced " village packs" of kids books written in Lao to hand out to kids in the remote country areas. So much more helpful than lollies! A great organisation really working hard to improve literacy in Laos.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

We discovered Big Brother Mouse early in our 10 days visit to Luang Prabang...which meant we could visit many times. I went many mornings to "teach english" - which really means have a conversation with local Lao young people - such a great experience! They are very engaging and interesting in learning...english, about other countries and people! I was thoroughly impressed - and inspired - by everyone I met and have the great honor of speaking with. I was told that the average age in Luang Prabang is 19 - I met boys and girls between 15-22. I also was able to meet and converse with a novice monk - I learned as much (if not more) than they did! You can go meet the young people between 9-11am and 5-7pm everyday...it is definitely worth the time and effort - at least once! You can also buy books published by Big Brother Mouse to take home (written in Lao and English) and to donate. You can also sponsor a village book party, and even attend it if you have the time! I intend to ask friends and family to help me sponsor a village book party for my next birthday...I know this experience will stay with me forever! Thank you to all I met - and to Big Brother Mouse for the amazing work you are doing!

2  Thank A_Pair_of_OWLS