“highly recommended”

Silk Road Cafe
Ranked #36 of 220 Restaurants in Luang Prabang
Price range: US$2 - US$8
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Enjoy delicious 'East meets West' cuisine at the Silk Road Cafe. A beautiful and relaxing location in the grounds of a stunning tropical garden with sweeping views of the Mekong, just a short distance from the centre of town - 5 mn ride with our free tuk tuk available all day on demand. Watch our traditional weavers at work at the Living Crafts Centre next door. Serving breakfast and lunch as well as brunch or afternoon tea, it's the perfect place to escape and gaze across the river.
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I had a couple of meals here, and found the food so light, delicious, fresh, satisfying.... It was hard to think of enough superlatives to describe this wonderful place.
The restaurant was also very relaxing, and looking out over the Mekong very well situated.
There was no hurry to leave, and lots of things to look at, since it forms part of a living arts centre.

1  Thank 408meredithm
OPT_Admin, Manager at Silk Road Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Wow, what a nice review! Thanks so much for writing. We've been busy updating our menu so it's great to hear positive feedback. Hopefully see you again soon.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We came here to shop and ended up having lunch, the service was outstanding, the food delicious and the grounds on the edge of the Mekong, just lovely. It's only about a 10 min bike ride from town, or they have a free shuttle, not too sure how that works though.

Thanks for stopping by and writing such a nice review! Our tuk tuk runs from our 2 shops in town. You just need to tell the staff and they will get the tuk tuk to pick you up (and drop you back in town when you're done). We also offer tour of our weaving centre to all visitors that stop by.

Reviewed 18 July 2013

I had one of the best and most memorable experiences at the Silk Road Cafe.

I found this hidden gem while doing the free tour at Ock Pop Tok's Living Craft Centre with my friends. The tour was also done well - informative and interesting. It is a bit further out of the city but there is a free tuk tuk from the city to the centre and proved convenient.

I really liked it also because it was away from the city and served as a little oasis that not many know of. Good to gather your thoughts here, enjoy great service, good company and fantastic food.

We started off with fried rice cakes with eggplant dip and tomato dip. I'm a big fan of eggplant and they did it so well. I could taste the light smokey flavours from the eggplants that was complemented with the soft airy crunch from the rice cake. The tomato dip was also flavorful and not too salty.

We also had the papaya salad that was a bit spicy, sour and sweet. There was a great balance between the nuttiness, fresh crunch and salty fried things (Not sure what the fried things were, fried fish skin? Fried pork? Whatever it is, it was good.)

Then we shared stuffed chicken in lemon grass. Simple dish that goes so well with the perfectly cooked sticky rice. We also dipped the sticky rice in the remaining leftover eggplant and tomato dips! Nothing went to waste.

The chicken was soft, tender and crispy on the outside. The insides was also filled with fresh herbs and earthy flavours.

We ended off with a nice hot cup of lao coffee and enjoyed the stunning view of the river.

The second time I came round, I had the noodle soup that was light and savoury. It was filling and hearty!

I would highly recommend this place.They change their menu almost every other day, so you never know what specials they have which you can indulge in!

The service staff was proactive and gave us water once we sat down. They also immediately put one of those things that would produce smoke to chase away the mosquitoes at our feet. Very friendly and hospitable. We had a good chat with the manager and the staff.

It's a great way to end your free tour or classes at Ock Pop Tok's Living Craft centre.

OPT_Admin, Manager at Silk Road Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

What a great review of our cafe, thanks so much and thanks for coming back! fyi they were fried pork skins with the papaya salad, a very moreish snack on their own.

Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I were biking around town and came across this great place, they give you a free tour of there amazing silk making facorty and are very informative. There is of course a gift shop which is a little pricey I wish it was in our budget because everything was so beautiful, we ended up buying some handmade coaster as it was all we could afford lol
Had lunch at the cafe which was to die for we had the papaya salad and bamboo shoots which I highly recommend!!
All around it was a great way to spend part of our day the staff were all so nice and you leve with a big smile on your face :)

OPT_Admin, Manager at Silk Road Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2013

It's great to read a review like this as you had the experience we hope that every visitor has when they visit our centre. Thanks for taking the time to share your visit.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

After a day cycling around Luang Prabang we sought refuge at the Ock Pop Tok Silk Road Cafe at the arts and crafts centre. Lunch was a simple affair, but sitting outside with the river view was very enjoyable. My plate of chanterelle mushrooms with poached egg was lovely and a good sized portion - but sadly a little cool by the time it reached me - but the dessert of pancake with lemon and honey fitted the bill nicely. it was good to be able to walk it off by doing a tour of the centre to learn about the traditional weaving methods of the different Laos provinces. Well worth visiting.

OPT_Admin, Manager at Silk Road Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2013

Thanks for the review and glad you enjoyed your dining experience with us. I apologise about the temperature of your food and can assure you this is not a regular occurrence. I will mention to our kitchen staff