“Painful bed, dishonest owner” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Villa Aphay Guest House

Villa Aphay Guest House
Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Villa Aphay Guest House
Ranked #196 of 259 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Boulder
“Painful bed, dishonest owner”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

We made the mistake of booking 5 nights for Villa Aphay on agoda. Don't do it! Our experience went from okay to bad to worse.

When we first arrived it seemed okay, the young front desk guy and the male owner are very nice. We were happy to find the location is close to cool restaurants and bars like Hive and in the same alleyway as Utopia. The room was very small, just fits a double bed, and God awful hot with just a fan and no vent. Still we thought, cheap room, what can you expect. We heard from friends that right around the corner is another hotel that has AC for the same price. Boo.

The bed was the WORST bed in Southeast Asia, and we've been traveling for two months. It felt like sleeping on a sack of rocks. I barely slept between that, the heat, and the stupid rotating ceiling fan that blows in your face every 10 seconds. Still, we tried to suck it up and accept that we had a cheap room...

After two days I was so tired it was ruining my trip in luang prabang. Since we already paid 5 nights we asked for our money back. They said no since we booked on agoda. They suggested we flip the bed. We actually did that, just as bad. Ok, how about changing rooms? They said we would have to wait until the last night. At least the room they changed us to had a vent that sucked out hot air and a slightly less painful bed but still bad. Why there was such a since in rooms I don't know.

Amidst all this I had them do my laundry. The female owner told me that my clothes weighed 4kg which is crazy. Everywhere else has been 1.5kg. When I questioned this she said, oh its extra for machine drying which is [--] because all my clothes were drying outside! We argued for a little then I just ended up paying. Reviewer before me also had a bad experience with owner and laundry. It left a bad taste in my mouth that she was so blatantly dishonest!

Overall there are better places to stay with honest people, similar prices, and actually comfortable rooms. I would not recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Thunder Bay, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Our room was great -- it was exceptionally clean, as was the entire property; it was nicely furnished (many places in this price range are quite spartan); and the bed was the most comfortable that I have slept on in a long time. Another plus -- the owners (and the young guy who mans the desk during the night)are very friendly, helpful, and accommodating. One thing we didn't like -- wifi didn't work in our room only in the hall. Our room had AC, the hall didn't -- need I say more.

We had a great impression of this guest house right up until we left. This place also offers mini van transportation and we liked them so we wanted to support them. We had a 6 hour trip to make and decided to use their service. The dad said his son would drive us, the son clarified that to say he would only drive if two more people signed on (we're a group of four and he needed six to make it worthwhile). That night when we bought our tickets we were told that there was six and we would be using the guest house van (I assume with the son driving as that had been the agreement). The next morning we met the other two people and they were under the same impression we were -- guest house van, son driving. Next thing we know they're gone (we still had sometime before we were to leave so we were doing some last minute things) and we are being picked up by a tuk tuk and taken to the mini van station. Once there we loaded 12 (yes 12) people into the minivan. Instead of a comfortable ride with seven we had an uncomfortable ride with twelve -- and no explanation from the guest house! (I'm guessing that our guest house took a commission and farmed us out! That's the thanks we get for trying to support them.) Anyway, Montezuma's revenge had struck me the night before and I was still having some stomach problems, so I asked to sit in the front. I was told I could not. That was unfortunate. Then Everyone's stuff was put on the roof -- no problem there until we saw the tarp used to cover everything. Unlike some of the drivers who actual had a tarp big enough to cover everything (and did a thorough job of covering everything), our driver's tarp was to small to cover everything and he wasn't inclined to get more tarp or rearrange things so that everything would be covered. Rain was forecasted -- had it rained some of our stuff (books, gifts) would have been ruined and everything else would have been wet. Needless to say my impression of our guest house changed -- and not for the better!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Luang Prabang hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

The rooms and location are pretty good for what you get. The older man who owns the guesthouse is very sweet. Unfortunately I had an incident with the other owner. I was charged twice for my laundry. I had already paid in advance and told the woman that very politely. She ended up screaming at me and saying I didn't pay. In the end I just paid twice to avoid the hassle of her and the rest of the staff working there surrounding me saying I didn't pay. A very unpleasant experience.

• Stayed January 2013
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

This guesthouse really does the job for the price it is - £8 for a fan room, hot water and a comfy bed. The staff are friendly and helpful when spoken to, but do not go out of their way in helping you. This was fine by us! On a number of occasions as we had a room without a tv they let us watch the tv in the communal area which was a lovely touch. The location is fantastic with some great breakfast cafes within two minutes, the night market a 5 minute walk and various bars located nearby.
I would recommend this place as a cheap and cheerful place to stay for those on a budget.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

We recently spent 5 nights here and I have no complaints. For the cheap price of £8 a night you get a double room, hot water and a fan. The location is great - about 5 minutes from the night market and restaurants with places for breakfast about two minutes up the road. The staff were pleasant and left us to ourselves for our entire stay - we didn't mind this but some people might. They were extremely kind to us on our last night there as my partner wanted to watch a football match at 1.45am and they let him use the television downstairs! The only downside was the lack of wifi in our room.
For the price the hotel did the job.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

The best quality of the hotel is the location and the couple that runs it. It is
located close to a temple and far away from the touristic crowd. So it is possible
to watch the morning ceremony of the monks walking on the streets and receiving
rice from the locals. If you go to the main street is almost a show with tourists
fighting each other to give more things to the priests and taking pictures.
The couple that owns and run the place is very friendly and helpful.
We payed US$ 20 / 150.000 kip for a room with bathroom, hot water, AC, fan, fridge, double
bed and extra bed.They provide towels (fluffy), soap, toilet paper, free bananas during the day,
coffee in the morning and water the first day when you arrive.

Cons:
- if you don t like to walk it is 10 minutes walk from the center of the village
and where all the things happen: the might market, the morning market, etc
- there is a temple behind the hotel and they play the drums early in the morning.
It is not loud but if you are a light sleeper it will bother you.
- the manager speaks french but not fluent English but with patience it is possible
to get all the information.
- the do not have a price table so I am not sure if the prices are the same for everybody. We searched other hotels and this was the best price we got for the same kind of hotel.

Room Tip: Room: wi-fi works in the room near the stairs but room 7, where we stayed did not get a nice signa...