“Underwhelmed”

Private Tour: Half-Day City Tour of Luang Prabang
US$88.00*
Luang Prabang Local Life Full-Day Small Group Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Displays of the opulence of pre-Communist Laos.
Cincinnati, Ohio
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Underwhelmed”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I was underwhelmed by this museum. It's basically a walk through a few rooms in the palace with limited signs providing info. Also many of the items on display from room to room are the same or similar. The royal cars exhibit was really disappointing - an old jeep, Chrysler and a few old fords...and not cool old cars you'd see at an antiques car exhibition - these were old and not maintained, dirty, worn, ratty and not interesting at all. I don't think it's worth the 30,000 kip entrance fee and I would skip it if you're short on time.
If you do go, note that you have to put any bags/cameras in a locker before entering the palace itself (but not the wat or cars exhibition). The locker situation was so confusing. When I went in there were several tour groups crowding the area and no one could tell me where to find a key - unclear if ere was an attendant on duty. Finally someone leaving pointed me to their locker/key. When I returned to get my things it did look like there was an attendant you were supposed to see to get a key - totally disorganized.
You have to take your shoes off before entering. I would recommend socks - the floor in the first couple of rooms was very slippery so be careful in socks, but after that the floor was sticky and gross from hundreds of people's sweaty feet walking through - gross. I was glad I had socks on and would recommend them for that reason.
Oh and there is no a/c in the museum. It's fine and there are fans, but I mention it because I think often people associate a "museum" with an enclosed air conditioned building.
Finally, the only building where they checked tickets was the palace itself. Thus, it seems no ticket is required to enter the grounds, the wat or the cars exhibit. The wat is really pretty, which is why I gave this 3 stars instead of 2, which I would give solely for the museum/cars.

Visited August 2014

• Turkish first
3 attraction reviews
“Operating Hours”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The museum is only open during certain hours of the day. I believe it is closed between 12- 2 (cannot recall). Check ahead of time before you plan a trip there

Visited July 2014
Brisbane
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Imperial Grandeur”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

It was good to see how royalty lived in colonial splendor in the early twentieth century. Get there early as it closes at 11.00am

Visited April 2014
Vienna, Austria
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Beautiful, well-organized, medium-sized.”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is probably the most famous museum in Luang Prabang and it worth a visit: Beautiful, well maintained and good services. Just a pity that no photo is allowed here.

Visited April 2014
Guri, South Korea
536 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 377 helpful votes
“Not big museum”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

CC ( 2014.07.29 )
We enjoyed about Laos culture through this museum, but there was not sufficent to us. Entrance fee was entering building only, the other area was free. That point was very good, but exhibits in the museum was not many one than I think. There's not much to see to me.

Visited July 2014