“FRONT ROW ORCHESTRA seats in the ROYAL KINGDOM CITY”

Hotel 3 Nagas Luang Prabang MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #10 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“FRONT ROW ORCHESTRA seats in the ROYAL KINGDOM CITY”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

3 NAGAS is located on the perfect block to be RIGHT near all the action , yet still be a respite and sanctuary from the absolute heartbeat . get yourself a bike , not that you need it , but it`s so much fun to float up & down the main streets in the " languorous " tropical nectar day & nite . at sunrise the HOTEL is literally the front row orchestra seat for the daily monk procession and alms offering ritual . the rooms are wondrous in every aspect . the staff is flawless in every way you could ask . LUANG PRABANG has other super pricey hotels outside the main arena if u wish to be hermetically sealed from the street action and jeweled wonders . not for me . great outdoor breakfast area and bar which becomes the evening dinner scene . i spent 9 great nites in the ancient royal capitol and was granted a privileged entree to its delicacies.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Kirsty D, General Manager at Hotel 3 Nagas Luang Prabang MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Dear MIchaelLEVINE,

Bravo Maestro, your review is nothing less than an ode to Luang Prabang and received with grateful heart.

Warmest regards - Kirsty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hillsboro, Oregon
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

I'd wanted to come to Luang Phrabang for years and I'd always wanted to stay at the 3 Nagas. There are far larger, more modern and even nicer hotels in LP but this is a great place to truly experience the center of this UNESCO World Heritage city. True, there's no TV in the room. But to be honest, there's simply no place for one. It would feel out of place in this classic structure.

My room was located in the older of the two buildings comprising the 3 Nagas, on the upper level overlooking the main road. I had a great view watching the parade of monks walk by as they made their daily alms procession. (Note, the monks only pass by as the hotel lies between two alms giving sites.) The balcony was very spacious and had a ceiling fan as did the room itself. The bed was large and very comfortable. It came equipped with a mosquito net which did come in handy. (This speaks more to the fact that the old city lies between two rivers and this is no reflection on the hotel itself.) The bathroom, like the rest of the room was very clean. It was a bit dark inside the shower but this wasn't surprising given the traditional style of the house with its antique mahogany paneling. The air conditioning worked fine and it wasn't overly noisy. Street noise could be heard from inside the room but that's normal with an historic structure of that type. It certainly was not excessive of bothersome at all. The treats left during the evening turn down service were wonderful.

Breakfast each morning was a real treat. It's cute how the staff bundles themselves up in winter attire during the (relatively) cooler mornings. In fact, the nicest part of this charming property is the friendliness of the hotel staff. Service was really top. The on-site manager makes it his priority to ensure that his guests are well attended to and he should be very proud of how well the staff performed. I did have one dinner at the hotel but frankly, I was not impressed and this was surprising given the nice write-up in the NYT travel section. It wasn't bad at all but I suppose I would have enjoyed more authentic dishes than the fusion cuisine they serve. Since this hotel is where the first ice cream in Laos was ever made, I had to try it. I'm afraid it was fairly icy, no doubt due to it being hand made in that climate.

The patio furniture on the terrace where breakfast is served was in need of replacement. The manager admitted as much noting that new furniture was being ordered which could withstand the tropical climate better. But this is the only really negative criticism I had and it's a fairly minor point. The friendliness of the staff and the historical charm of the hotel more than made up for a couple of sun-faded cushions. I'm so happy to have stayed four wonderful nights at the 3 Nagas.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Tom N
Kirsty D, General Manager at Hotel 3 Nagas Luang Prabang MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Tom N,

Happy New Year from all of the team at 3 Nagas!

Thank you for your very comprehensive and honest review of our hotel. We are indeed at the centre of this World Heritage City, actually being located in Zone 1, the hotspot, and our buildings are a stately example of another era, the perfect compliment to this precious part of the world.

Thank you for your comments about your dinner and our menu, though I am a tad confused, the hotel has not served Fusion Cuisine for some time now. Our current menu, that has been in place since mid year, is only traditional Lao cuisine cooked by our Lao Chefs that have been with us for many many years. Perhaps it is their presentation that makes the food look like a mix of traditional and new age?

I also appreciate your notes on the outdoor furniture and my colleague the hotel manager was correct in advising the new soft furnishing are indeed on order.

I will forward your lovely comments about our team through to all. Lao are a genuine and caring people and to know their intentions have been well received will certainly bring a smile to their faces.

We wish you safe travels for all your future adventures, thank you again for staying with us and may 2014 be your best year yet.

Warmest regards - Kirsty
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Restaurant with Delightful service, wonderful fission Lao food. Great steamed, stuffed fish in banana leaves. Perfect weather to sit out and off the main track so nice and quiet. Roast chicken with green papaya salad (3 Naga special) was also good and interesting difference from Thai green papaya salad.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Kirsty D, General Manager at Hotel 3 Nagas Luang Prabang MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Dear DTAsia,

Happy New Year!

Thank you for your kind review of our fabulous restaurant. I'm so glad you took the time to relax and enjoy not only our great Lao cuisine but also the location and tranquility of the hotel.

Lao food is very different from our surrounding neighbours and not to be missed, fresh, simple, clean, healthy and spiced to your personal choice as opposed to cooked/prepared within…perhaps I am a little biased by I do believe our Green Papaya Salad is unbeatable.

Wishing you all the very best for 2014 and may your travels take you to many more exotic and soul inspiring locations.

As ever - Kirsty
Pulborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in November, though part of a small group I was solo if that makes sense .Luang Prabang is a truly lovely friendly & safe place . So is the hotel, the rooms are large ,well equipped 4 poster very comfortable bed & a huge bathroom, with a little area to sit outside your own room. All I could want for 3 nights sight seeing. Have read negative comments about the room safety of this hotel, I have to say that I travelled with iPhone, ipad & camera, yes I locked them in the room safe every time I was not in the room that is what the safe is for your personal peace of mind. The staff were wonderful friendly & helpful, even organised a tour for me when I had been let down, they could not do enough to help. food good you can sit outside & watch the world go by. I would recommend this hotel & go back , I really enjoyed my stay in this lovely country.Please remember this is a small hotel so does not have pool or fitness room, if you want this its not your hotel,,but it is my number one choice.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Kirsty D, General Manager at Hotel 3 Nagas Luang Prabang MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Lola008,

Sabaidee and Merry Christmas from 3 Nagas! Thank you for your kind review of our hotel and for staying with us during your time in Luang Prabang. We are only a tiny hotel as you stated but have a unique and interesting past of our own, if only our walls could talk they would herald many special moments in history.

I will be sure to thank the team for the wonderful attention they paid, and for your acknowledgment of them.

Please do feel free to visit us again, we would be delighted to have you return and experience all the more that Luang Prabang has to offer.

Until then, very best wishes from all of us at 3 Nagas and Happy New Year!

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Not only did we love the laid-back, warm and welcoming experience we had in Luang Prabang, but the icing on the cake was our wonderful hotel. 3 Nagas is luxurious, but not over-the-top. It blends in with the local "vibe", but treats each guest like a VIP. The staff is gracious and friendly. Noy and Marko were part of the management team that made sure we had everything we needed during our stay. And, all we can say is that we can't wait to go back and spend more time. This destination is not to be missed if you are traveling in SE Asia.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anniegbalto
Kirsty D, General Manager at Hotel 3 Nagas Luang Prabang MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear anniebalto,

Sabaidee and warm greetings from 3 Nagas! Thank you for your generous review of our hotel and I am thrilled that we were the ‘ice on the cake’. Gracious and friendly is a lovely description of the team, I totally agree and further also know it lends itself to the people of Laos in general. We are a destination not to be missed and should be on everybody’s bucket list for sure.

Please do return and allow us to welcome you back the our hotel, it will be our sincere pleasure.

Until then safe travels where ever they may lead.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights. We had a slight problem with our room and the Manager Marco quickly remedied the situation and moved us across the road to another room. Beds were incredibly comfortable and the room very quiet. The hotel is well positioned for the Alms ritual. Please make the time to wake early and see this. Very nice little boutique hotel but the addition of tea and coffee in the rooms would be welcome.

Room Tip: Ask for a room across from the road from reception. These seem to be quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kerryn P
Dear Kerryn P,

Sabaidee and warm greetings from 3 Nagas. Thank you for your kind review of our hotel and please, allow me to apologize for the initial issue with your room, I am pleased that Marko was able to sort for you and the balance of your stay was as expected.

Point noted for the tea and coffee, we will take under advisement and appreciate the suggestion.

Wishing all the very best where ever your next travels may take you.

Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights. This was my fourth time in Luang Prabang, but 1st time here.
3 Nagas hotel was amazing. The bed is super comfy with these great feather pillows. We stayed in the building opposite the lobby. It was quiet, We overslept and never even heard the alms procession.
This is my hotel of choice when I come back. Thank you!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank swaldman111
Dear swaldman111,

You are clearly a Luang Prabang fan and one of the lucky ones that has had the chance to return again and again. We may seem like a sleepy little village but there is so much more to do than first meets the eye and more you return the more there is to explore.

Feel free to ask for me personally when you next return, very happy to have you back.

Until then safe travels where ever they may lead - Kirsty