Hotel 3 Nagas Luang Prabang MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #9 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Overrated”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

As a further travel agent, I would like to share a review which takes into account the rather high price and general level of rates in Laos. I was sure I wanted to stay at the 3 Nagas hotel but have to say that there is some truth in all the negative critiques I have read about it here.
Rooms are dark, many things would need to be repaired, breakfast is inequal depending on the day and not for people with good appetite, bathrooms are run down, furniture would need to be refreshed, hotel and rooms are lacking small & smart details you would expect in a boutique hotel, and same for service level even though most of the staff is eager to please you. The wooden surrounding of the mirror in the bathroom was broken, but nobody thought doing something about it, even when I told the front desk to draw their attention on that somewhat dangerous situation. They just put it back where it was before, without fixing it.
Worst for me : rooms in the reception builing (Lamarche) are really noisy - whereas certainly L.P. is not a big city, tuktuks and motorbikes are noisy, start early and there is only a small wooden wall between you and them. In other terms, I felt like the tuktuks were crossing the room... and do not even think about an afternoon nap. When I had booked, I was told that the hotel was on a "main" street but it seemed they could have a solution to accomodate my wish for a calm room. One week before arrival, I wrote an e-mail again, kindly reminding that I would appreciate to be allocated a calm room (we were staying 5 nights, which is not a short stay compared to many other tourists in Luang Prabang). The room was ready when we arrived for what was an early check-in (11 pm) which was great, but we got a room just above the bar and kitchen... When I told the manager at the end of our stay that the noise had been a problem, I understood that there was no real solution to that at 3 Nagas (he said "I know"), whatever room you are in. I hope I will not get a comment back from the hotel managment here, pretending that I should have told them and that they would have changed us to another room. I did so, beforehand and twice - but my request was just ignored, which is not what I expect from a small, boutique hotel in terms of service.
Some staff members at the reception seem to seriously lack of discretion. First day, a man at front desk asked me what we had beeing doing in the afternoon and what time we would go out the next morning. When I frowned back (I was surprised to be asked about next day plans), he said that he would have to fill in a log book at the reception with this information... ?! but no other front office staff member ever asked me that or something similar during the next 5 days. And when I asked front desk to connect me to a number in Luang Prabang, they said I should come down to the reception and talk there, with their phone ... which meens with them at my side and the restaurant tables just 5m away. I insisted on getting the phone call in my room but it did not succeed, for whatever reason.
The restaurant is excellent, even though it is very expensive for Laos, it is a very reasonable - you get a loatian gastronomic meal (one of the very best we had within 2 weeks) for what would be just a normal 2-course-meal in Western Europe.
It is true that the location is central, but there are many many other options in the same area, including what seemed to me rather good ones in small side streets, or luxury residences a bit further away in the middle of nice and quite large gardens. Be aware that L.P. is a small town, so distances are always short. Wherever you stay, it will be easy to get to a place to see - and discreetly - the tak bat (morning alms) ceremony.
The rooms in the first floor of the Lamarche building, where the reception is, share a common balcony, with wooden, mobile separations - you do not feel private.

Room Tip: For calm, silent rooms - go to another hotel. Rooms in the building where the front desk and garden...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cvxa
ManagerHotel1, Hotel Manager at Hotel 3 Nagas Luang Prabang MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Guest,

We sincerely appreciate your comments about your stay and are being taken very seriously in order to retrain the team and be better prepared for all guests.

We deeply apologize if you feel it was not up to your expectations and hope to meet you personally on your next trip to Laos so we can further talk about it.
Many guests come to 3 Nagas due to its unique location, character, architecture, which is designated as a World Heritage by UNESCO, therefore we do our best to conserve the original structure, look and feel of the Hotel.

We are going through a big upgrading of our property, including the service, so we hope you will get to experience it on your next visit.

Pablo
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Second visit in this hotel in two years time.
Time stood still here, meaning, appearance of hotel went downhill.
Especially, (but not only), visible in the bathroom, (mouldy wood around the bath/shower), and the breakfast terrace.
Management changed 3 times in between, not for the best in my opinion.
Ceiling fan...5 levels of speed...no way, every level same speed.
Decrepit cushions with stains on the couch.
Sleep Quality was good, very good mattress and clean bed linen, but, stayed in a room on front side of the hotel, there was a lot of noise from motorcycles and trucks very early in the morning.
Staff in restaurant is, although very friendly, clearly not sufficient trained for the job in a supposed to be 4 star hotel. Breakfast took ages until served.
Diner was, (same as before), good, nice selection of wines are served and the first glass was complementary.
Conclusion : I'm sure that, at this moment, there are much better hotel options in Luang Prabang.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank eMBieAntwerp
ManagerHotel1, Hotel Manager at Hotel 3 Nagas Luang Prabang MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear eMBieAntwerp

Thank you for taking the time to share with us the feedback about your recent visit. We truly appreciate that you had returned to stay with us again and very sorry that your experience did not turn out the way you expected.

Now that Accor has taken over the hotel and managed the whole operation, I can guarantee to you that a drastic improvement will be noticed and maintained.
With Sofitel's brand standards to be a strong guideline for the team, we are certain the high standards of service that we are proud of will be consistently transcended.

Regarding the noise factor, we are located in a unique location in the heart of charming quaint Luang Prabang, which is a UNESCO protected Heritage site, therefore we are very limited in terms of what can be implemented.
Currently we are undergoing processes to insulate some of the noise form outside and we expect very soon this will not be an issue.

We hope to welcome you back very soon so you can experience a magnifique time in Luang Prabang.

Have a great weekend!

Best Regards

Pablo
Hotel Manager
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Very nice old houses converted to a hotel. Service is excellent and location is perfect.
However, I found it very overpriced for what it offers.
Room was dark and not functional.
The architecture is nice but the hotel lacks more attention to details. There are many better options in town for this price.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank EduardoCancado
Kirsty D, General Manager at Hotel 3 Nagas Luang Prabang MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Dear EduardoCancado,

Sabaidee from 3 Nagas, Luang Prabang.

Thank you for your review and comments about the hotel. We do have some challenges with what we are and are not allowed to do to with the hotel, we are privileged enough to be well protected by UNESCO. That being said your comments for more attention to detail does not go unheeded and I will be sure to take this to heart.

There are other options in town and Luang Prabang does offer the full spectrum of accommodation to suit all travel tastes. One just needs to decide if they are indeed after "excellent service" and a "perfect location", and if so…3 Nagas is accommodation of choice.

We have plans afoot for the hotel and are looking forward to continuing to delight and deliver exceptional guest experiences to the intrepid travellers that pass through Luang Prabang.

Wishing you a safe journey where ever you may travel.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We spent three days in January 2014 at the 3Nagas and it was simply a wonderful experience. As a top end accommodation, it is central, amazingly comfortable with incredible staff led by a superior manager. From a 50 year old to an 8 year old perspective - we both loved our stay here and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank EmmaSquid
Dear EmmaSquid,

Sabaidee and warm greetings from 3 Nagas. I am so glad you enjoyed our 3 Nagas property having moved over from Hotel de la Paix. We do indeed have incredible staff at 3 Nagas, in fact the team operates both hotels and moves interchangeably as does the management. Your praise is well received and most gracious.

With warmest regards - Kirsty
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 January 2014

My daughter and I just returned from a 5-day trip to Luang Prabang and loved our stay at the 3 Nagas. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. We had a standard room for 2 nights an a deluxe "suite for 3 nights" and actually preferred the less expensive standard room (better bathroom lighting). The food was amazing and when we liked a special dish, the manager arranged for the chef to give us a private cooking lesson. Marco, the manager, is extremely helpful and personable, and the staff is very helpful and smiling. We loved Luang Prabang and from the 3 Nagas we walked all over the peninsula, did lots of sightseeing and always felt a warm "welcome home" from our jaunts each day.

Room Tip: A second floor room in the front or the back with no one walking overhead is a good idea.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear 198Diane155,

Sabaidee and warm greetings from 3 Nagas. Thank you for your review and I am so glad you both enjoyed your time in Luang Prabang. A stay of 5 nights is ideal and gives a decent amount of time to explore, relax and really experience just how special our little part of the world is. Our pace is gentle and it is wonderful when the touring isn't rushed. Walking is absolutely the best way to explore the side streets, watch the sun set over the Mekong, climb Phousi Hill, take in the architecture, soak in our ambrosial temples and experience the very beautiful Laos people.

The room tip is indeed a good one. Whilst 3 Nagas delivers a real taste of Luang Prabang, the building is protected by UNESCO so naturally very old. The wooden floors are divine and a real testament to the builders quality and intention at the time, but alas can be a tad noisy should you have a heavy footed overhead occupant.

From all of us, we wish you safe journey always.

With warmest regards - Kirsty
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 December 2013

3 NAGAS is located on the perfect block to be RIGHT near all the action , yet still be a respite and sanctuary from the absolute heartbeat . get yourself a bike , not that you need it , but it`s so much fun to float up & down the main streets in the " languorous " tropical nectar day & nite . at sunrise the HOTEL is literally the front row orchestra seat for the daily monk procession and alms offering ritual . the rooms are wondrous in every aspect . the staff is flawless in every way you could ask . LUANG PRABANG has other super pricey hotels outside the main arena if u wish to be hermetically sealed from the street action and jeweled wonders . not for me . great outdoor breakfast area and bar which becomes the evening dinner scene . i spent 9 great nites in the ancient royal capitol and was granted a privileged entree to its delicacies.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear MIchaelLEVINE,

Bravo Maestro, your review is nothing less than an ode to Luang Prabang and received with grateful heart.

Hillsboro, Oregon
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

I'd wanted to come to Luang Phrabang for years and I'd always wanted to stay at the 3 Nagas. There are far larger, more modern and even nicer hotels in LP but this is a great place to truly experience the center of this UNESCO World Heritage city. True, there's no TV in the room. But to be honest, there's simply no place for one. It would feel out of place in this classic structure.

My room was located in the older of the two buildings comprising the 3 Nagas, on the upper level overlooking the main road. I had a great view watching the parade of monks walk by as they made their daily alms procession. (Note, the monks only pass by as the hotel lies between two alms giving sites.) The balcony was very spacious and had a ceiling fan as did the room itself. The bed was large and very comfortable. It came equipped with a mosquito net which did come in handy. (This speaks more to the fact that the old city lies between two rivers and this is no reflection on the hotel itself.) The bathroom, like the rest of the room was very clean. It was a bit dark inside the shower but this wasn't surprising given the traditional style of the house with its antique mahogany paneling. The air conditioning worked fine and it wasn't overly noisy. Street noise could be heard from inside the room but that's normal with an historic structure of that type. It certainly was not excessive of bothersome at all. The treats left during the evening turn down service were wonderful.

Breakfast each morning was a real treat. It's cute how the staff bundles themselves up in winter attire during the (relatively) cooler mornings. In fact, the nicest part of this charming property is the friendliness of the hotel staff. Service was really top. The on-site manager makes it his priority to ensure that his guests are well attended to and he should be very proud of how well the staff performed. I did have one dinner at the hotel but frankly, I was not impressed and this was surprising given the nice write-up in the NYT travel section. It wasn't bad at all but I suppose I would have enjoyed more authentic dishes than the fusion cuisine they serve. Since this hotel is where the first ice cream in Laos was ever made, I had to try it. I'm afraid it was fairly icy, no doubt due to it being hand made in that climate.

The patio furniture on the terrace where breakfast is served was in need of replacement. The manager admitted as much noting that new furniture was being ordered which could withstand the tropical climate better. But this is the only really negative criticism I had and it's a fairly minor point. The friendliness of the staff and the historical charm of the hotel more than made up for a couple of sun-faded cushions. I'm so happy to have stayed four wonderful nights at the 3 Nagas.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Tom N
Kirsty D, General Manager at Hotel 3 Nagas Luang Prabang MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Tom N,

Happy New Year from all of the team at 3 Nagas!

Thank you for your very comprehensive and honest review of our hotel. We are indeed at the centre of this World Heritage City, actually being located in Zone 1, the hotspot, and our buildings are a stately example of another era, the perfect compliment to this precious part of the world.

Thank you for your comments about your dinner and our menu, though I am a tad confused, the hotel has not served Fusion Cuisine for some time now. Our current menu, that has been in place since mid year, is only traditional Lao cuisine cooked by our Lao Chefs that have been with us for many many years. Perhaps it is their presentation that makes the food look like a mix of traditional and new age?

I also appreciate your notes on the outdoor furniture and my colleague the hotel manager was correct in advising the new soft furnishing are indeed on order.

I will forward your lovely comments about our team through to all. Lao are a genuine and caring people and to know their intentions have been well received will certainly bring a smile to their faces.

We wish you safe travels for all your future adventures, thank you again for staying with us and may 2014 be your best year yet.