Hotel 3 Nagas Luang Prabang MGallery by Sofitel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Villa Ban Lakkham(Luang Prabang)
The Apsara(Luang Prabang)
  • Breakfast included
Villa Santi Hotel(Luang Prabang)
Burasari Heritage(Luang Prabang)
View Hotel
The Apsara Rive Droite(Luang Prabang)
Calao Hotel(Luang Prabang)
  • Restaurant
Sokdee Residence(Luang Prabang)
View Hotel
All reviewsexecutive suitethe main streetnight marketevery morningfour poster bedmonks walkhotel consistssister propertywooden buildingquiet endin towncharming boutique hotelswimming poola ground floor roomlao foodold quarterairport transfer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 March 2014

As a further travel agent, I would like to share a review which takes into account the rather high price and general level of rates in Laos. I was sure I wanted to stay at the 3 Nagas hotel but have to say that there is some truth in all the negative critiques I have read about it here.
Rooms are dark, many things would need to be repaired, breakfast is inequal depending on the day and not for people with good appetite, bathrooms are run down, furniture would need to be refreshed, hotel and rooms are lacking small & smart details you would expect in a boutique hotel, and same for service level even though most of the staff is eager to please you. The wooden surrounding of the mirror in the bathroom was broken, but nobody thought doing something about it, even when I told the front desk to draw their attention on that somewhat dangerous situation. They just put it back where it was before, without fixing it.
Worst for me : rooms in the reception builing (Lamarche) are really noisy - whereas certainly L.P. is not a big city, tuktuks and motorbikes are noisy, start early and there is only a small wooden wall between you and them. In other terms, I felt like the tuktuks were crossing the room... and do not even think about an afternoon nap. When I had booked, I was told that the hotel was on a "main" street but it seemed they could have a solution to accomodate my wish for a calm room. One week before arrival, I wrote an e-mail again, kindly reminding that I would appreciate to be allocated a calm room (we were staying 5 nights, which is not a short stay compared to many other tourists in Luang Prabang). The room was ready when we arrived for what was an early check-in (11 pm) which was great, but we got a room just above the bar and kitchen... When I told the manager at the end of our stay that the noise had been a problem, I understood that there was no real solution to that at 3 Nagas (he said "I know"), whatever room you are in. I hope I will not get a comment back from the hotel managment here, pretending that I should have told them and that they would have changed us to another room. I did so, beforehand and twice - but my request was just ignored, which is not what I expect from a small, boutique hotel in terms of service.
Some staff members at the reception seem to seriously lack of discretion. First day, a man at front desk asked me what we had beeing doing in the afternoon and what time we would go out the next morning. When I frowned back (I was surprised to be asked about next day plans), he said that he would have to fill in a log book at the reception with this information... ?! but no other front office staff member ever asked me that or something similar during the next 5 days. And when I asked front desk to connect me to a number in Luang Prabang, they said I should come down to the reception and talk there, with their phone ... which meens with them at my side and the restaurant tables just 5m away. I insisted on getting the phone call in my room but it did not succeed, for whatever reason.
The restaurant is excellent, even though it is very expensive for Laos, it is a very reasonable - you get a loatian gastronomic meal (one of the very best we had within 2 weeks) for what would be just a normal 2-course-meal in Western Europe.
It is true that the location is central, but there are many many other options in the same area, including what seemed to me rather good ones in small side streets, or luxury residences a bit further away in the middle of nice and quite large gardens. Be aware that L.P. is a small town, so distances are always short. Wherever you stay, it will be easy to get to a place to see - and discreetly - the tak bat (morning alms) ceremony.
The rooms in the first floor of the Lamarche building, where the reception is, share a common balcony, with wooden, mobile separations - you do not feel private.

Room Tip: For calm, silent rooms - go to another hotel. Rooms in the building where the front desk and garden restaurant is located, are noisy and have only light wooden walls. If your neighours next door snork, we will hear them very well... not speaking about the traffic, bar, restaurant.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cvxa
ManagerHotel1, Hotel Manager at Hotel 3 Nagas Luang Prabang MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Guest,

We sincerely appreciate your comments about your stay and are being taken very seriously in order to retrain the team and be better prepared for all guests.

We deeply apologize if you feel it was not up to your expectations and hope to meet you personally on your next trip to Laos so we can further talk about it.
Many guests come to 3 Nagas due to its unique location, character, architecture, which is designated as a World Heritage by UNESCO, therefore we do our best to conserve the original structure, look and feel of the Hotel.

We are going through a big upgrading of our property, including the service, so we hope you will get to experience it on your next visit.

Pablo
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Second visit in this hotel in two years time.
Time stood still here, meaning, appearance of hotel went downhill.
Especially, (but not only), visible in the bathroom, (mouldy wood around the bath/shower), and the breakfast terrace.
Management changed 3 times in between, not for the best in my opinion.
Ceiling fan...5 levels of speed...no way, every level same speed.
Decrepit cushions with stains on the couch.
Sleep Quality was good, very good mattress and clean bed linen, but, stayed in a room on front side of the hotel, there was a lot of noise from motorcycles and trucks very early in the morning.
Staff in restaurant is, although very friendly, clearly not sufficient trained for the job in a supposed to be 4 star hotel. Breakfast took ages until served.
Diner was, (same as before), good, nice selection of wines are served and the first glass was complementary.
Conclusion : I'm sure that, at this moment, there are much better hotel options in Luang Prabang.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank eMBieAntwerp
ManagerHotel1, Hotel Manager at Hotel 3 Nagas Luang Prabang MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear eMBieAntwerp

Thank you for taking the time to share with us the feedback about your recent visit. We truly appreciate that you had returned to stay with us again and very sorry that your experience did not turn out the way you expected.

Now that Accor has taken over the hotel and managed the whole operation, I can guarantee to you that a drastic improvement will be noticed and maintained.
With Sofitel's brand standards to be a strong guideline for the team, we are certain the high standards of service that we are proud of will be consistently transcended.

Regarding the noise factor, we are located in a unique location in the heart of charming quaint Luang Prabang, which is a UNESCO protected Heritage site, therefore we are very limited in terms of what can be implemented.
Currently we are undergoing processes to insulate some of the noise form outside and we expect very soon this will not be an issue.

We hope to welcome you back very soon so you can experience a magnifique time in Luang Prabang.

Have a great weekend!

Best Regards

Pablo
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Very nice old houses converted to a hotel. Service is excellent and location is perfect.
However, I found it very overpriced for what it offers.
Room was dark and not functional.
The architecture is nice but the hotel lacks more attention to details. There are many better options in town for this price.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank EduardoCancado
Kirsty D, General Manager at Hotel 3 Nagas Luang Prabang MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Dear EduardoCancado,

Sabaidee from 3 Nagas, Luang Prabang.

Thank you for your review and comments about the hotel. We do have some challenges with what we are and are not allowed to do to with the hotel, we are privileged enough to be well protected by UNESCO. That being said your comments for more attention to detail does not go unheeded and I will be sure to take this to heart.

There are other options in town and Luang Prabang does offer the full spectrum of accommodation to suit all travel tastes. One just needs to decide if they are indeed after "excellent service" and a "perfect location", and if so…3 Nagas is accommodation of choice.

We have plans afoot for the hotel and are looking forward to continuing to delight and deliver exceptional guest experiences to the intrepid travellers that pass through Luang Prabang.

Wishing you a safe journey where ever you may travel.

Warmest regards - Kirsty

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We spent three days in January 2014 at the 3Nagas and it was simply a wonderful experience. As a top end accommodation, it is central, amazingly comfortable with incredible staff led by a superior manager. From a 50 year old to an 8 year old perspective - we both loved our stay here and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank EmmaSquid

Dear EmmaSquid,

Sabaidee and warm greetings from 3 Nagas. I am so glad you enjoyed our 3 Nagas property having moved over from Hotel de la Paix. We do indeed have incredible staff at 3 Nagas, in fact the team operates both hotels and moves interchangeably as does the management. Your praise is well received and most gracious.

With warmest regards - Kirsty

Reviewed 23 January 2014

My daughter and I just returned from a 5-day trip to Luang Prabang and loved our stay at the 3 Nagas. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. We had a standard room for 2 nights an a deluxe "suite for 3 nights" and actually preferred the less expensive standard room (better bathroom lighting). The food was amazing and when we liked a special dish, the manager arranged for the chef to give us a private cooking lesson. Marco, the manager, is extremely helpful and personable, and the staff is very helpful and smiling. We loved Luang Prabang and from the 3 Nagas we walked all over the peninsula, did lots of sightseeing and always felt a warm "welcome home" from our jaunts each day.

Room Tip: A second floor room in the front or the back with no one walking overhead is a good idea.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear 198Diane155,

Sabaidee and warm greetings from 3 Nagas. Thank you for your review and I am so glad you both enjoyed your time in Luang Prabang. A stay of 5 nights is ideal and gives a decent amount of time to explore, relax and really experience just how special our little part of the world is. Our pace is gentle and it is wonderful when the touring isn't rushed. Walking is absolutely the best way to explore the side streets, watch the sun set over the Mekong, climb Phousi Hill, take in the architecture, soak in our ambrosial temples and experience the very beautiful Laos people.

The room tip is indeed a good one. Whilst 3 Nagas delivers a real taste of Luang Prabang, the building is protected by UNESCO so naturally very old. The wooden floors are divine and a real testament to the builders quality and intention at the time, but alas can be a tad noisy should you have a heavy footed overhead occupant.

From all of us, we wish you safe journey always.

With warmest regards - Kirsty