“Expected more...”

Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel
Ranked #7 of 71 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Reviewed 16 January 2013

I came here on the recommendation of friends whom I met in a previous hotel and who seemed to be like minded to me in terms of hotel choices. Unfortunately, they got the royal treatment here (upgrades and good meals), while i experienced the opposite (shabby room and boring breakfasts). So it seems one big problem here may be inconsistent service (and product!)...

More than anything, my main reaction is that this place is incredibly poor value... It masquerades as a luxury hotel, but doesn't deliver what it promises. The end result is that you pay 5* prices for what really should be a 3* hotel. In a town where you have so many charming guesthouses with designer interiors and first rate service, this hotel can't rely on friendliness and the Angsana brand alone to justify its ridiculously inflated room rates.

While I can't fault the service, which was actually quite excellent, the facilites are simply sub-standard. Rooms lack elegance or originality and much of the furniture, both in the rooms and around the pool+dining area are hodge-podge, faded and dated (and not in a good way.)

The breakfast was so mediocre, both in terms of food options and atmosphere, that I wasn't interested to stay for any additional meals.

The location is wonderful and the spa isn't too bad either, which are the only reasons I stuck around. But it all felt too generic and missing the opportunity to convey the charm and beauty of the local culture, not to mention the heritage of the very house the hotel used to be.

Time to invest in a new decorator and some fresh furniture, Maison Souvannaphoum, or you will continue to disappoint discerning travelers.

Room Tip: Spend a little extra and stay in the main house... That way, you actually get something for your mon...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Oliana M
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2013

Dear Oliana M,

Greetings from Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel,

Thank you for having taken the time to share your impressions here on Tripadvisor.

Reading your account of your stay with us at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel has left me deeply saddened and concerned. Please trust that it is by no means our intention nor is it living up to the high standards we have set for ourselves to deliver the kind of experience described by your good self here. It is with great regret that I have taken note of your disappointment with our establishment and I would not want to miss to extend my apologies for not having lived up to your expectations on this occasion. We certainly do not take feedback such as this lightly and are fully committed to improve and ameliorate our services and facilities with the help of the invaluable inputs we receive from our patrons. In this effort I have certainly taken adequate time to discuss your opinions, namely with regards to the quality and variety of our breakfast as well as the condition, originality and elegance of our furniture with my management team here on site. Once again, my sincere apologies for any disappointment caused.

On the lighter, side I am pleased to learn that the quality of service rendered as well as the convenient location of our hotel have positively contributed to an otherwise less than enjoyable stay.

I truly wish we would have the opportunity to provide you with an overall much more pleasant experience and deliver the enjoyable and memorable sojourn Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel is renowned for when you may visit Luang Prabang in the future.

Once again Oliana M, thank you for your time and consideration and for providing us with your feedback.

Reviewed 12 January 2013

We arrived a day earlier than planned due to some unexpected problems. Everyone was so helpful; Serge, the manager, went out of our way to make sure everything was perfect. The architecture and setting of the hotel is beautiful. Our 15 yo daughter was unwell and Serge made sure we had everything we needed. We enjoyed the pool side service and the Prince Lao banquet was very good. When we got to the airport we realised we had left some jewellery behind; no worries, they just organised a motorcycle courier to bring it to the airport! You could to ask for better service!

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2013

Dear RJETMelbourne,

I trust you and your family have had exciting onwards travels and a smooth an uneventful journey back to Melbourne.

It was wonderful having you with us here at Maison Souvannaphoum during your recent visit to Luang Prabang. I hope that your daughter has now fully recovered and is felling 100% well again! I am particularly happy to learn that you liked our special Lao dinner and have not missed to share your comments with Chef Vanhsay and his team. Thank you very much for your kind and encouraging feedback.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back in the future and in the meantime would like to wish you and your beloved ones a good day and all the very best for 2013.

Reviewed 9 January 2013

I stayed there early January 2013 with my family. In short: a lovely place managed by lovely people = the perfect mix for a wonderful holiday! Efficiently choreographed by Serge, the gracious Swiss manager, la Maison is very well located in the heart of Luang Prabang, and walking distance to all major interesting sites and restaurants in the city. While staying there, do not forget to enjoy a fantastic massage at their spa!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Dear parayhk,

Greetings from Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel.

I am delighted to learn that you have thoroughly enjoyed your recent family holiday in Luang Prabang. We are indeed very happy to know that we have been able to contribute to a memorable and pleasant experience. Your feedback made everyone really proud and especially our SPA team was very happy to have received your kind commendations. Thank you very much for your encouragement.

I hope you will have the chance to travel to Luang Prabang again in the future and we would on such occasion be delighted to welcoming you back to Maison Souvannaphoum.

In the meantime, I would like to wish you and your beloved ones a happy and healthy 2013 once again.

Reviewed 8 January 2013

I recently spent three nights here with my girlfriend and we had an excellent time. The staff (including the ubiquitious parakeet) was very helpful and friendly from the time we arrived to the time we left, including helping us get a late night meal when most restaurants were closed. Breakfast was excellent and had some variety across days and the bike rental was cheap and convenient. Would not hesitate to stay here again if I find myself in the region.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear JoshinJapan,

Thank you very much for sharing the experience of your recent stay at Maison Souvannaphoum here on Tripadvisor. I have read your review with much interest and joy. I am particularly pleased to learn that you did like the services rendered by our restaurant team and that you also enjoyed getting around town with our rental bicycles. I agree with you; this is certainly one of the most convenient and pleasant means to explore the wonderful town of Luang Prabang.

It has been a pleasure to have made your acquaintance during your recent stay with us and I am looking forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

In the meantime, I wish you and your partner all the very best for 2013 and a good day!

A TripAdvisor Member
Pipe Creek, TX USA
Reviewed 7 January 2013

my daughter and i stayed in this hotel 23-26 dec 2012. superb location, rooms,service. what really stands out in the staff's professionalism and service. travel extensively--never seen better ,the senior management of the hotel is very involved with the guests and staff and the results demonstrate that. the events of 24 dec went above and beyond expectations and were the highlight of a 3 week visit to vietnam, cambodia, and laos, would stay nowhere else in laos. fan for life.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from Luang Prabang.

I trust you and your daughter have had a smooth and uneventful journey back home.

Please kindly allow me to first and foremost thank you very much for having taken the time to provide us with your review here on Tripadvisor. It makes every hotelier’s day to receive such encouraging, positive feedback and I have proudly shared your comments with all my associates here. On behalf of the Maison Souvannaphoum Team I thank you yet again for having selected our establishment for your recent X-Mas holiday in Luang Prabang.

I am very happy to learn that you did enjoy spending your X-Mas Eve with us and that we were able to contribute to a memorable experience.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back to Maison Souvannaphoum in the hopefully not too distant future and in the meantime would like to wish you and your beloved ones a very happy and healthy 2013.

Reviewed 7 January 2013

I stayed at Maison Souvannaphoum hotel in December 2012 and it was a truelly wonderful experience. The hotel manager Serge is exceptional with the running of his staff who are all very proficient, friendly and genuinely helpful.
the hotel is very stylish yet unpretentious with elegent rooms and gorgeous well kept gardens. The pool are is lovely to return to after being out exploring. Such an oasis of calm and sophistication.
Could not find a more enchanting beautiful place to stay in Luang Prabang. It is in a perfect location in the main street but away from the busy area. We ate ate the hotel on the night we arrived and it was absolutely delicious and allowed us to try a selection of laos delicacies .
Serge the manager was very informative about what was good to see and do and greeted all the guests each morning at breakfast for a personal chat which made us feel very welcome.
The Spa was also very good and the treatments are carried out in little pavilions of peace and tranquility.
It is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in and I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting the magical and timeless Luang Prabang!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

Dear 177CJkeys,

I trust you have had a smooth an uneventful journey back to Australia.

It has been a great pleasure to have you staying with us here at Maison Souvannaphoum on your recent vacation. I have certainly not missed to share your kind words with my team and it is needless to say that feedback such as the one we have received from your good self is tremendously encouraging and motivating for all of us here at “Maison”. On behalf of my entire team – thank you very much.

I certainly hope you will have the chance to travel to this beautiful part of the world again in the future and we would certainly be delighted to host yet another comfortable and memorable stay here in Luang Prabang.

In the meantime, I would like to wish you a good day and all the very best!

Reviewed 4 January 2013

Comfort and service in luxurious surroundings. Have the special prix fixe dinner especially on the evening when they have traditional dancers and band. Wonderful introduction to Laos.The servers couldn't have been more pleasant. Don't miss an experience in the spa.

Room Tip: Small hotel with rooms all the same size with exception of suites in main building.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Dear Twinalice,

Thank you very much for sharing your account of your recent stay at Maison Souvannaphoum here on Tripadvisor.
I am really glad you have had the opportunity to experience our special Lao evening with the dancers and traditional music and am delighted to learn that you enjoyed the food and service. Thank you also for your commendation of our Angsana SPA – the team was very happy to have received such positive feedback.

Twinalice, we are looking forward to having the opportunity to be of service to again in the future and would be delighted to welcoming you back soon.

In the meantime, I wish you a good day and a happy and healthy 2013 to you and your beloved ones!