I came here on the recommendation of friends whom I met in a previous hotel and who seemed to be like minded to me in terms of hotel choices. Unfortunately, they got the royal treatment here (upgrades and good meals), while i experienced the opposite (shabby room and boring breakfasts). So it seems one big problem here may be inconsistent service (and product!)...
More than anything, my main reaction is that this place is incredibly poor value... It masquerades as a luxury hotel, but doesn't deliver what it promises. The end result is that you pay 5* prices for what really should be a 3* hotel. In a town where you have so many charming guesthouses with designer interiors and first rate service, this hotel can't rely on friendliness and the Angsana brand alone to justify its ridiculously inflated room rates.
While I can't fault the service, which was actually quite excellent, the facilites are simply sub-standard. Rooms lack elegance or originality and much of the furniture, both in the rooms and around the pool+dining area are hodge-podge, faded and dated (and not in a good way.)
The breakfast was so mediocre, both in terms of food options and atmosphere, that I wasn't interested to stay for any additional meals.
The location is wonderful and the spa isn't too bad either, which are the only reasons I stuck around. But it all felt too generic and missing the opportunity to convey the charm and beauty of the local culture, not to mention the heritage of the very house the hotel used to be.
Time to invest in a new decorator and some fresh furniture, Maison Souvannaphoum, or you will continue to disappoint discerning travelers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel by Angsana is a boutique luxury hotel in the heart of Luang Prabang, Laos. It's the perfect retreat for the modern traveller seeking style and authenticity. Once the residence of the late Prince Souvanna Phouma, the mansion is an elegant blend of French colonial architecture and Lao motifs with the addition of all the modern comforts. The hotel is an 8-minute walk to the town centre - close the sights, night market, restaurants, bars and river, but away from the bustle and noise. Cool off in the pool, enjoy a drink in the garden, or unwind at the Angsana Spa after a long day of sightseeing. Our attentive staff are always on hand to meet your every need with warm, personalized service. The rooms and grounds are designed to be your home away from home. Maison Souvannaphoum is your private oasis. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maison Souvannaphoum Luang Prabang
- Hotel Maison Souvannaphoum