“Great place”

Ranked #5 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Australian in Europe
“Great place”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We arrived in evening at this hotel for a 2 night stay based on a package extension we had purchased so we were not sure what we would get on arrival.
What a wonderful surprise. Greeted by some wonderful staff, room was well maintained, clean and comfortable, high ceilings and the balcony was very pleasant also. Guess one would expect this when it is a totally renovated french colonial structure. Had a snack and drink by the pool and again the staff here were extremely nice and co-operative. Breakfast was a joy as again were the staff. Even though a main road is nearby the hotel, rooms and surrounds are extremely peaceful. Has only 24 - 25 rooms, well maintained gardens. Location quite good as near market but not to close.
Wonderful and lovely place as is Luang Prabang.
Nect time we are back here we will stay here again.

Room Tip: Suspect that high season October - Janiary will be extremely difficult to reserve a room based on fe...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Serge_Ditesheim, Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear queenslandtraveller,

Thank you very much for your encouraging feedback which I have certainly not missed to share with my team.

I am really glad to learn you enjoyed the colonial, boutique feel of Maison Souvannaphoum. Also it is nice to know that you liked the convenient and central location of the hotel and I hope you have been able to make some exciting and memorable shopping on the close by night market.

Queenslandtraveller, please trust that we are committed to making Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel a more enjoyable and pleasant place on a daily basis and we shall make every effort to always keep our standards and services at high levels.

I am looking forward to welcome you back in the hopefully not too distant future and in the meantime, would like to wish you happy travels and all the very best.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

Quiet and peaceful. Lovely pool, wonderful restaurant, attentive staff and well appointed rooms. Walking distance to the morning and night markets and all the temples. Our room had a balcony overlooking the pool and garden.

We arrived a day late after a travel snafu but were accommodated with smiles, no additional charges, a cool drink and a cold towel. We immediately went to the pool which is in a peaceful corner with a waterfall. After a bit, we decided to eat in the restaurant which seems to float above the pool. We had the special Laotian meal in a long boat with a wonderful Australian Rose. At our request, the restaurant staff explained each dish to us.

Don't miss the hotel store - it has exceptional local textiles and souvenirs not seen in town.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Serge_Ditesheim, Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Dear Katherine S,

I trust you have had exciting onward travels and eventually a smooth and uneventful journey back to the US.

It has been a pleasure to have made your acquaintance during your recent stay with us at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel. I am delighted to learn that you have had an overall excellent stay with us and have certainly not failed to share your kind praise with the team.

My shop manager in particular was very pleased to hear that you found the local product selection to be interesting and we do indeed try to select textiles and other local handicrafts that are not seen on the night market for instance.

Once again, allow me to thank you for having selected Maison Souvannaphoum as your preferred hotel in Luang Prabang and for providing us with your encouraging feedback here on Tripadvisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you may travel to this wonderful part of the world again and I the meantime I wish you all the very best.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We are coming to the end of a 3 night stay at this wonderful boutique hotel - highly recommended the staff are very helpful and attentive the spa ladies and massage services are a delight absolutely nothing to fault this hotel if you are coming to this city then stay here you will not be disappointed

Room Tip: Garden room
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Steve P,

Thank you very much for your recommendations.
We are delighted to learn that we have been able to contribute to an overall enjoyable stay in Luang Prabang. My team and especially our spa therapists were delighted to have received such kind praise from your good self. On behalf of everyone here at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel – thank you very much.

We would certainly be delighted to be of service to you again in the future and look forward to welcoming you back.

In the meantime, I wish you happy travels and all the very best!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful stay at MSH. The property is extremely charming, and perfect walking distance to most of the tourist attractions in Luang Prabang. The service was outstanding, led in particular by the GM, Serge, who was helpful and knowledgeable. And we really enjoyed the food - the Lao coconut pancakes in the breakfast buffet were magnificent! The only minor irritation to us was a lizard in our room that made some noise at night - hard to blame the hotel for that, since you're always likely to get some lizards in a tropical location like that. All in all, a place we would love to return to.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Ravi V,

I trust you have had a smooth and uneventful journey back to New York.

It has indeed been a pleasure to have you with us and I am glad to learn that you had an overall delightful sojourn in Luang Prabang.

Thank you very much for your kind feedback on our food and especially on our breakfast buffet. We are constantly looking for ways to keep our spread original and interesting and have made some improvements yet again. The Lao Coconut-Pancakes however are here to stay and I fully agree with you: They are addictive!

Once again Ravi V, thank you for your time and consideration and for providing us with your insightful feedback here on Tripadvisor.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in the hopefully not too distant future and in the meantime I would like to wish you a good day!

Best regards
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I was torn whether to stay closer to the city or at some of the resorts outside the city. I'm so glad I chose the former. Maison had the best of both worlds...it was a total oasis (one of the nicest hotel pools I've ever been to) yet it was also a short walk away from the center of Luang Prabang. Breakfast was excellent and the room was also clean with a spacious balcony overlooking the gardens. We had a small problem one night when we got locked out of the hotel (they didn't tell us to leave the key with the front desk...), but they more than made up for the inconvenience by offering my friend and I free massages. I will recommend Maison Souvannaphoum to any friend of mine who goes to Laos...affordable luxury.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Serge_Ditesheim, Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear Nicolas N,

Thank you very much for your feedback which I have read with great interest. We are delighted to learn that you found Maison Souvannaphoum to have been exactly the right choice for your recent holiday in Luang Prabang. I did certainly not miss to share your comments with the team and my Chef in particular was very happy to have received such positive feedback on his breakfast.

I would not want to miss to express my sincere apologies to you for any inconvenience that was caused to you when you found our main gate closed and would like to assure you that this situation has been discussed with our security guards and night receptionists.

Nicolas N, once again – thank you very much for your time and consideration and for providing us with your encouraging feedback.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel and in the meantime I wish you a good day and all the very best!

Paris, France
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed 3 nights at Maison Souvannaphoum and really enjoyed it.
THe hotel has a great location (10 min walk from Royal Palace), rooms are nicely appointed and the swimming pool is very good.
The staff is excellent (especially the pool bar staff) and the level of service is beyond expectations.
I would definitively stay there again when visiting Luang Prabang.

Room Tip: First floor room have a nice view on the swimming pool
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rom-85
Dear Rom-85,

I trust you have had exciting onwards travels and a smooth and uneventful journey back to Paris.

On behalf of everyone at Maison Souvannaphoum, I would like to thank you very much for having taken the time to post your review here on Tripadvisor. Especially our pool bar team was very happy to have received such kind praise from your good self. We are glad to learn that we have been able to contribute to an overall excellent sojourn in Luang Prabang and would be delighted to be of service to again in the future.

In the meantime, I wish you a good day and all the very best.

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 31 August 2013

The Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel is the best hotel I have ever stayed at. As soon as I arrived I was greeted by the most friendly staff you will ever meet. They took our bags and led us to our room as if this was the 100th time we had stayed here. Immedietaly I felt welcome at this hotel. They have an amazing pool and an even better poolside bar. Amazing airconditioned rooms, foxtel on the tv, a full buffet breakfast, these are just four of the things that make this place great. The Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel used to be a princes house. I felt like I prince when I stayed there. Amazing gardens with chess boards to be used at your leisure. Every morning the gardener wakes up and picks every single leaf out the garden and places it in his bag so that the garden stays beautiful. After an amazing nights sleep I woke up to go have my breakfast. "Hello Liam!" said the staff as I walked into the poolside restaurant. As I tried some of their incredibly tasty food, I was greeted by a member of staff called Easy Tom. "Would you like some hot chocolate Liam?" he asked. I nodded in approval as he went and made it in the bar. All day dedicated staff wait at the poolside bar for someone to come order a drink. A man called Yia Her was extremely nice to me and my family. He deserves a raise.As I am only eleven years old, you would think the staff would be condescending to me, but no. They treated me the same as an adult and I felt great. Great place to be, I was very sad to leave.

-Liam

Room Tip: Every room is amazing
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Serge_Ditesheim, Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
Dear toasterface450,

A warm “hello” from Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel.

Let me first and foremost tell you just how proud my team was when I shared your review with them. Especially “Easy Tom” and “Yia” were very happy to hear from you and they are both sending their best regards.

I was reading your review with a lot of joy and we are very pleased to know that you and your family have had a few excellent days in Luang Prabang. We would certainly love to have you back here again soon.

Once again toasterface450, thank you ever so much for having taken the time to share your review here on tripadvisor and for giving the team your thumbs up!

I wish you many more happy travels to come and all the very best to you and your family.