“Worth the money”

and 1 more site!
Salakphet Guesthouse
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Hi, I stayed 11 days in this place and I can fully recommend it. My room was clean about 15 US Dollar a night- and the people are very helpful. They let me use their living room so I felt like at home.It is centrally located very good restaurants all nearby. When I come back I will stay here again..

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 May 2013

I stayed in the dorm -- it was quiet, comfortable and cheap. Very centrally-located.

The real value of this place, though, is that the owners are very kind and helpful. Before I stayed the night, I had my passport and all of my money stolen. Though unfortunately many local people in Luang Prabang were not at all nice to me -- this, I think, may be because of the negative behavior displayed and lack of respect shown by the many tourists who inundate the town -- the owners of Salakphet let me use the internet to contact my family and print a copy of my passport without demanding any money up front. They were generous and understanding, though I was not staying at their dorm at the time, and I am very grateful to them. Hopefully you won't be in a similar situation, but for more mundane matters, they are also very helpful. One of the family members studied in Canada, speaks perfect English, and is an excellent resource for any questions you have.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Slept here two nights in the dorm. the gh has two houses. the normal rooms are in the one, the dorm in the other house. i just can tell my experiences with the dorm. there are four single and two double beds. one bathroom with the toilette and shower. Not much but i was alone in both nights so it was ok
No aircon but three fans. its hot in the afternoon and warm in the evening and night.
i paid 40'000kip each night. They gave me a towel,free wifi which works the most time. The dorm is in the second floor thats why it is so hot.

The guy from the reception speaks almost no english. but the one from the other house does it much better.
They offer tours for a fair price. the beds are ok for sleeping. its clean,the staff is friendly.
But you can not close your luggage in a safe place. so i was the whole time a bit nervous for my things.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank kokosreis
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Guesthouses in the city center of Luang Prabang can get expensive during the high season; while walking around i was quoted prices around 30 USD in quite average-looking places.
The Salakphet Guest House offers private rooms with private bathroom, air conditioning, and TV for 100,000 kip (about $12 US). I believe they also have dorm beds but I don't know the price on those.
The rooms aren't the most charming, but they're clean. There's no breakfast or outdoor seating area but it's right in the middle of Luang Prabang's city center on Sisavangvong Road, so there are dozens of restaurants and cafes just outside the door.
The staff are very friendly. They have wifi, but if it doesn't work (a common problem in Laos) there's an internet cafe right in the guesthouse lobby.
Overall if you're on a budget and location is your main concern, this should be a good option.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank ga8888
David P, Manager at Salakphet Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2013

Dear ga8888,

Warm greetings from Luang Prabang. We would like to personally thank you for your kind message and comments about your stay at Salakphet Guesthouse. Our team is very happy to read your message that you enjoyed your time with us. I hope that we have the chance to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 4 February 2013

They have one dorm with 8 beds. It's clean, comfortabel and quiet. The bathroom is in the room,one bathroom. But there is nothing, no facilities besides your bed. the bathroom and free Wifi. There are also no windows, so it's good for sleeping, but that's it.
Location is good, close to the nightmarket and some good restaurants.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Miriam T

Dear Miriam,

Thank you very much for staying with us during your stay in Luang Prabang. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our establishment and we appreciate your comments and support. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 6 January 2013

This place promised to be quiet but it was ruined by the gleaming tile floors and the fact the owner's family use the space outside the rooms as their living space. I love children but not outside the door of a hotel room at 6.30am when I'm knackered from travelling a week down the Mekong.

The rooms aren't very clean and are very dingy.

Very disappointing and I'm going to try and get some money back as I specifically asked them for the quietest room possible.

Room Tip: As far away from the living area as possible