“Nice hotel”

Sanctuary Luang Prabang Hotel
Ranked #13 of 70 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The Sanctuary hotel is a very quaint hotel in Luang Prabang, clean, spacious and well maintained.
Price value is definitely good and the staff are all very friendly and accommodating. We especially appreciated that we were allowed to use a room for a small surcharge to shower and clean up after emerging from our jungle trek the day after our stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Sanctuary Hotel... L, General Manager at Sanctuary Luang Prabang Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2014

Dear reviewer,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community. I will share it with the staff and I am sure they will feel as proud as I do.
Hope to welcome you back in a near future.

Hotel manager

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I visited Luang Prabang for the first time and took some time to find a suitable hotel for two nights. In the end, I chose the Sanctuary Hotel. This is a very new hotel with extremely clean rooms, a wonderful restaurant and a beautiful garden. I had breakfast every morning in the lovely arcade. Eventually, I extended my stay again and again turning 2 nights into 5 nights. I would not want to leave but had to continue my trip to northern Laos by motorcycle.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Dear reviewer,

Hope you made it safe back to Germany. It was a pleasure to have you in our property and on behalf of all the staff I would like to thank you for your kind comments. Do not hesitate to contact us directly if you would like to book an other stay with us.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I must say I'm very impressed by the standard of this hotel given the low price I paid for! The room is very spacious, bed as comfortable. The best thing of the hotel is that its located just a mere 5mins walk away from the main street where the night market and shops are located as well as the Royal Palace Museum. Its peaceful and quiet at night as compared to hotels located on the main street. There's a wide choice for breakfast. The only thing I would like to comment is regarding the wifi. Despite given the user and password on a slip of paper, the wifi still does not works. Its only when I went to the reception asking for help, I realised that another log in have to be completed via safari on my iphone. I suspect this is the reason why I read other travellers not being able to connect to wifi. Perhaps more instructions need to be given regarding this. Other than that, I must really say I enjoyed the stay and will not hesitate to introduce friends to stay when they travel to Luang Prabang. Definitely value for money!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor have better privacy.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank shun821
Sanctuary Hotel... L, General Manager at Sanctuary Luang Prabang Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Shun,

On behalf of the whole team, I would like to thank you for your kind comment. Indeed the location is very convenient if you are in town for just few days. Located 2 minutes away from the night market and the entrance of the main road, it is the ideal place to visit without needing a tuk tuk transportation.
Regarding the wifi, we are still working on it and we have found a solution to fix it. I invite my future guests to directly address me the issue if it happened again and I will personally ensure an internet connection is available.

We hope to welcome you back in our property for your next trip to Luang Prabang.

General manager

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I was lucky to choose this hotel for three days this July.
Looking at the website and the low price I thought there must be some catch. But there was no catch. A beautiful hotel, large room, large bathroom is spotlessly clean and good air conditioning. The first day had beautiful buffet breakfast, the next morning à la carte because there were only two guests?? No problem one could still have what ever one wanted for breakfast.
Breakfast staff Phett and Ron are lovely people and do everything they can to make sure you're satisfied. The hotel is within walking distance of the night market
and river.

This was the best hotel I stayed in during my three week holiday. And Lang probang is definitely worth a visit.

Room Tip: My room did not have a window looking out over the central garden area. Not a major issue for me but...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Sanctuary Hotel... L, General Manager at Sanctuary Luang Prabang Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Mrs Bernie,

What a pleasure to read your beautiful comment and thank you for sharing it with the tripadvisor community. You had a good deal with our summer promotion, there is "no catch".
Last minute deal with 50% discount and free upgrade upon availability.
We hope to welcome you back.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The location is ideal, just outside the major foot traffic areas. The property is lovely, with well-maintained grass, gardens, and pond. The room was kept clean and the facilities, air conditioner, and water all worked well.

Breakfast was always an adventure. Both days it didn't start until nearly 7am, though management claimed it would be 6am. Service was poor and choices were small. The security guard was often asleep. The front desk staff speaks very little English. Wifi service incredibly weak (didn't work in our room), and barely even worked if sitting in the lobby next to it.

In summary, beautiful property, great location, BUT needs more motivated and attentive staff with English capabilities.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank amb809

Dear reviewer,

We are very sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations. At the time you came we were building up a new team and despite all the good efforts, we were still not at a proper level of service. I do apologize and I invite you to contact me directly should you like to stay in Luang Prabang again.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We were surprised to find that beautiful place just 5 minutes away from the main street, where you find all principle restaurants and the night market.
First, the hotel picked us up at the airport. We were warmly welcomed by the hotel manager and were conducted to our room. What a nice surprise to cross that beautiful garden and to see the room decoration and set up. Very comfortable bed, spacey room, at 40 US$ a night, wow ! what a deal.
All hotel staff were SO, but SO nice. We were served as queen and king. At breakfast, they were constantly at our service, asking if everything was OK, if we needed anything, and saying thank yous all the time. Incredible service.
The place is really the best to be near everything and in a quiet environment.
Do not hesitate, you'll be gladly surprised.
JF

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear reviewer,
Thank you very very much for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community. Indeed you had our green season deal with a 50% discount for early bookers! We thank you too for staying with us.
We do hope to welcome you back in our property.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Having just left the Golden Temple Hotel in Siem Reap, Cambodia, checking in at the Sanctuary Hotel was bound it disappoint. While correct, there was no attempt to make the customer feel special. When the wifi would not work, it was a bit frustrating as the gentleman could not explain why to me. I realize it is a particularity of this hotel, but I could not use my wifi for all three days at the hotel. However, down the block at JoMA Cafe, it worked well, so no harm no foul.
All this being said, the hotel is beautiful, the room was large and comfortable, and the breakfast excellent (yes, they really should change the menu to read "toast" instead of French toast, which it most definitely was not). The waiters in the restaurant were adorable - reception could learn a thing or two from them!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChinaFanNYC

Dear guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience with the community. Since your visit in June, the hotel team has changed so is our breakfast menu. I believe our services have improved by now and I invite you to contact me directly if you plan to come back to Luang Prabang again.