I must admit I do not usually write these reviews but feel compelled to do so in this instance.
We stayed at La Residence in October 2013. The hotel was excellent, the rooms beautifully appointed, the food at the restaurant worth returning for and the people and service par excellence.
On our first day I had a medical emergency and the hotel and our guide tried to find us a doctor. As it happened all the doctors were at a conference some hours away and we had to go to the emergency room at the local, fairly limited hospital. Our guide could not find a doctor and at our request called the hotel. The hotel guest services manager (Julie) sent the head porter with us to the hospital to find the “International” emergency room that was staffed by a few doctors from Thailand who spoke a limited English.
I was treated but an hour and a half later I had a recurrence of the condition. We returned to the hospital only to find that there were now no doctors in attendance (it was a weekend afternoon). Again we called the hotel and the head porter and his assistant prevailed upon a personal contact to meet us at the hospital.
The hotel wanted to ensure that everything would go well and so the Guest services manager, the head porter and his assistant accompanied us back to the hospital and later insisted on taking me to a local pharmacy to obtain the prescribed medicine and to ensure I understood all the instructions.
We cannot praise their concern, responsiveness and kindness enough. In all they were delightful in every sense of the word. They went above and beyond .
Five stars in every category is nowhere near a high enough rating for the hotel and their staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Positioned atop a hill, gazing across the sacred mountains, Belmond La Résidence Phou Vao is an unforgettable place to stay. Its calm, tranquil ambiance echoes that of sleepy World Heritage town of Luang Prabang - former royal capital of Laos - spread out below. Designed in a traditional style, this intimate hotel is gemmed with teak, silk and fresh cotton accents. The hotel's Phou Savanh restaurant is famed for its wonderful French-influenced local cuisine while Doc Champa bar offers guests a range of Laotian and classic cocktails. The award-winning Mekong Spa blends ancient techniques with modern understanding to ensure complete indulgence and well-being and is the first luxury spa in Luang Prabang, Laos. Furthermore the hotel offers a gym, boutique, tours & excursion desk, meeting room and organic garden with cooking class area. The hotel's 34 suites are elegantly furnished with emphasis on local styles and materials. The combination of parquet and traditional Lao textiles creates an immediate sense of peace and space in all suites. Large windows provide plenty of natural light and open onto the exotic gardens. A conveniently arranged terrace offers privacy, comfort and tranquility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Belmond, Odigeo, Agoda, Hotels.com, MrandMrsSmith, Hotel.de, Ebookers, HRS and Destinology so you can book your Belmond La Residence Phou Vao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Residence Phou Vao By Orient-Express Hotel Luang Prabang
- La Residence Phou Vao Hotel
- La Residence Phou Vao Resort