“Excellent,excellent,excellent”

Ranked #5 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent,excellent,excellent”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Good value for money, staff very pleasant, Julia the front manager went out of her way to help and to accommodate our needs, my wife is very sensitive to light at night so Julia arranged blackout curtains for our room which worked a treat. She was also very helpful in recommending and booking top eating spots.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gordon W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Thai first
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I had a marvellous stay at La Residence Phou Vao Resort. It's wonderful interiors, fantastic services and excellent dinning too. My room was the pool over look, surrounding by trees and natural atmosphere. I had a fantastic relaxing time during my stay, it was amazing get away from my work and my busy life style in Bangkok. The team here are wonderful, professional and lovely. I also had the most relaxing spa here and i think this is absolutely the best spa in Luang Prabang, i was actually in love with their spa so much i had it two days in the row! I would like to say " A big thank you to La Residence Phou Vao team who made my stay became the most memorable trip. I will certainly visit La Residence Phou Vao again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I stayed at La Residence Phou Vao for 3 nights and I will say, this is as good as it gets.
Besides very attentive hotel staff, I had the most relaxing time next to the pool during the day and watching the mountain view. The view gets better during sunset. Restaurant served very good traditional and international dishes- which is another reason why we did not had the need to go into town.
I would visit La Residence again at any given chance as it is worth the trip!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Visiting from Bangkok to get away from city chaos, my friend and I arrived in La Residence for a 4 days stay- and fortunate to say, very happy to have made this trip as the hotel did indeed offered a fantastic, relaxing experience.

We arrived exhausted with luggage and were immediately taken care of by the hotel reception girls. While checking in, we were also greeted by the hotel GM who advised us more about Laos and told us we could contact him anytime if we had any problems. This made us very comfortable and felt at home. We ordered room service that evening- both the display and the food were delicious!

Next morning they continued to pamper us at breakfast. Sitting by the infinity pool surrounded by trees, with overview of Mount “Phousi” and the foggy mountains, time seemed to stop here. We spoiled ourselves with cocktails and chocolate tarts. This was definitely what I was looking forward to!

What I liked was that during the day hotel provides complimentary shuttle service to town centre on a short 5 minutes Tuk Tuk ride. They also pick you up from town when you want to return to the hotel, so you do not need to worry about the logistics.

I would like to leave my last comment thanking GM John and his team at La Residence for looking after us so well and making my much-needed holiday in Laos such a memorable trip.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Arrival at the hotel couldn't have been bettered- this is textbook stuff ( I used to train staff at top hotels to do this!) The manager is totally hands on and you can tell the staff are extremely well trained- perhaps a little too attentive at meal times ( hovering over you to take your plate away as soon as you've finished!) They speak very good English and are very friendly.
Re the rooms, we were in a mountain view junior suite and it was ok,first floor, nice view, quite minimalist in dark wood, and well equipped, but the room design left a lot to be desired. The floors squeak, so impossible to get up in the night and not wake your partner. There is no acoustic privacy, as the WC has a louvred door , and the bathroom is open plan to the room ( with sliding doors to separate it, but this would make accessing the WC even more difficult and noisy at night! )The shower is over the bath, rather than separate, and there is only one sink. The hair dryer is not powerful enough, and the taps dripped, unless turned off so hard that I couldn't turn them on again. Perhaps the bigger suites are better.
The hotel also clutters up all the flat surfaces with endless bits and bobs so there is no room left for your own things! It would be far better for them to have just one guide to the hotel rather than 4 separate folders- and none of them told us that there was a second pool at the spa, a boules pitch, and a lovely garden with pool down below the spa.on the plus side, nice to have proper milk in the fridge, and delicious macaroons very evening.
The spa is lovely, housed in separate chalets, with a great ambience and music- but hugely expensive by Luang Prabang standards . There is no gym, although apparently they are planning to put one in. They can provide a jogging route, but this takes you out along very busy and polluted roads, so not recommended.
The main pool is not very large, and it didn't feel inclined to use it as it is right in front of the restaurant, so everyone eating watches people in and around the pool.
Breakfast was good, with a plentiful selection. Dinner was also good, but the western food was vastly overpriced- more expensive than Central London.
Sorry to be so nit picky, but at this sort of price, these sort of things matter!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank j0gli
Scarsdale, New York
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I must admit I do not usually write these reviews but feel compelled to do so in this instance.
We stayed at La Residence in October 2013. The hotel was excellent, the rooms beautifully appointed, the food at the restaurant worth returning for and the people and service par excellence.
On our first day I had a medical emergency and the hotel and our guide tried to find us a doctor. As it happened all the doctors were at a conference some hours away and we had to go to the emergency room at the local, fairly limited hospital. Our guide could not find a doctor and at our request called the hotel. The hotel guest services manager (Julie) sent the head porter with us to the hospital to find the “International” emergency room that was staffed by a few doctors from Thailand who spoke a limited English.
I was treated but an hour and a half later I had a recurrence of the condition. We returned to the hospital only to find that there were now no doctors in attendance (it was a weekend afternoon). Again we called the hotel and the head porter and his assistant prevailed upon a personal contact to meet us at the hospital.
The hotel wanted to ensure that everything would go well and so the Guest services manager, the head porter and his assistant accompanied us back to the hospital and later insisted on taking me to a local pharmacy to obtain the prescribed medicine and to ensure I understood all the instructions.
We cannot praise their concern, responsiveness and kindness enough. In all they were delightful in every sense of the word. They went above and beyond .
Five stars in every category is nowhere near a high enough rating for the hotel and their staff.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HSH914
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

We needed a little get away and came to stay at La Residence Phou Vao from our friend’s recommendation. We were not disappointed at all! Hotel ground is well maintained and spacious. Service from the staff was warm but professional at the same time. They made extra effort to keep our little one occupied and entertained all the time. Our room was spacious and has stunning view. It was just what we needed for our short break! Will really recommend this place for whoever looking for short hideaway... And get back to the nature:)

Stayed October 2013