“Lovely Hotel and Very Helpful Staff”
Review of Satri House

Satri House
Ranked #6 of 71 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Reviewed 9 August 2013

This was the final 4 nights of our 25 night holiday in Cambodia , Vietnam and Laos and we thoroughly enjoyed the stay. Satri House is so beautifully presented with large lovely rooms and every staff member was just so friendly and helpful, always with a smile. The location is fantastic with just a short walk to the main street and market, but is located down a small side street so that there is no noise at all, just so quiet. Anyone considering a stay in Luang Prabang should seriously consider staying at Satri House

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
SatriHouseMGMT, General Manager at Satri House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear Dennis,

Thank you so much for your nice comment regarding your stay at Satri House.

We're glad you enjoyed the room and the service of our hotel.

It was a pleasure for us to welcome you and we hope to have the chance to see you again at Satri House.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

I first stayed here on a business trip. After I told my wife about the place she has come with me every time I visit now and that is once a year. The rooms are very up to date in style yet you can see the old culture throughout the hotel. My wife spends endless hours in their spa. The location itself is located near the center of the city and is easy to get to many spots. It has newly built additions to the hotel also if you like that. The staff is excellent and the food is greatl. My wife tals so much about the place and now this part of the world that on our next trip we are taking two other coples to enjoy, AS I WORK ;-(

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SurFun5389

Dear Jim,

Thank you very much for posting a review following to your stay at Satri House.

We're all very pleased to see that you really enjoyed your stay even if is was more like "working-holiday". We will be very glad to welcome you again at Satri House if you planned to come back to Luang Prabang.

We hope to see you again here in your "office" away from home !

Reviewed 27 July 2013

We stayed here twice during our off peak stay in July. Our triple room (2 parents plus teenage son) was large and had outdoor seating area by the internal pond. Just fabulous.
The service was superb, greeted every time we went anywhere in the hotel. The beds were the best in the whole of our 2 week stay in Cambodia and Laos. We had a handwritten note welcoming us back on our return too.
Make sure you make use of the free bikes. Just ask at the front desk for keys and you easily cycle into town, or explore some of the nearby villages as we did. Traffic rules maybe different from your home country, but it is an easy to negotiate.
Breakfast is good with an interesting selection of jams -pineapple, tamarind and tomato!
The pool is refreshing, towels had to be found for us. A pile somewhere for guests to collect maybe helpful.
A highlight of our trip.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
SatriHouseMGMT, Front Office Manager at Satri House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for staying at Satri House and for posting such a nice comment following to your stay.

It is always a real pleasure to read that you had a lovely stay with us and that you enjoyed our property and service.

If you want to come back to Luang Prabang, do not hesitate to contact us. We will be more than glad to welcome you again at Satri House.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

We staid 2 nights in Satri House during our holidays in Laos.
The house is beautiful, the rooms are really nice and big.
Decoration is absolutely amazing.
Location is nice as well, in a charming typical street.
However, we have been a little disappointed by the service. It is classified as a "Relais & Chateaux" but honestly, doesn't deserve this ranking.
Way too expensive (Xmas period did not help for sure) and the service is not up the level of expectation.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
SatriHouseMGMT, Front Office Manager at Satri House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Dear Carlotta,

Thank you for staying at Satri House in Luang Prabang.
We really appreciate that you share your impression following to your stay on Tripadvisor.

It is a pleasure to read that you found our property and the room very nice and that you liked our decoration.

We feel also concerned about your impression regarding our service. Since December many things have changed in our service to improve it and guarantee a high quality.

We will be very pleased to welcome you again to Satri House if you plan to come back to Luang Prabang.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further information.

Reviewed 29 June 2013

To say that Satri House Hotel is exquisite is an understatement. The rooms are modern in style but you can see Lao culture has influenced every single part of this hotel. I would spend everyday in their relaxing spa. The hotel itself is located near the center of the city and is fairly easy to maneuver from one site to the other. It has newly built additions which is where we stayed. The staff is excellent and the food is wonderful. Highly recommended to say the least.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
SatriHouseMGMT, Front Office Manager at Satri House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Dear Anjan M,

We would like to thank you for staying with us during you last stay at Luang Prabang for posting such a nice review regarding your stay.

We're really glad to see that you enjoyed every moment of your holiday with us and that you appreciated the decoration and history of our property.

If you would like to come back to Luang Prabang it will be a real pleasure to welcome you again at Satri House.

Reviewed 28 June 2013

The pictures, history and story behind this property are wonderful. Upon arrival you still notice the history and you get an idea of what they were trying to do with the property but it just seems to fall flat with no sense of peacefulness.

I thought that since I was in the land of the good, reasonable (or usually down right cheap) massage I would settle into the Satri House at the beginning of my vacation with a nice relaxing spa experience only to find prices on the "Spa Menu" comparable to what I pay in New York. Not only were the prices out of line with the rest of Luang Prabang, the "spa" itself occupied an area in the middle of the complex with no sense of privacy or tranquility. The last thing I want to hear while getting a massage are the sounds of other guests milling around and conversing.

Since the spa was a bust, I thought the pool would be a great place to relax and reset my clock. The first thing you notice upon arriving in the pool area is the disconcerting green color of the tile used, conceptually I get it, it mimics the ponds that are placed around the property, but the reality of it is, no pool should be this color green. There were lounge chairs around the pool and the entire pool area was surrounded by a building or a high cement/stucco wall. I felt like I was in someone's backyard in New Jersey, which is neither glamorous nor serene. After searching for the right person to put cushions and towels out for me, I settled in and tried to relax but unfortunately that just was not possible given the setting.

The staff congregated in small groups around every corner and within eye sight throughout the day, until of course you needed something and then they were nowhere to be seen. It was as if they were watching your every move, and as soon as you needed something their radars went off and they scurried off like cockroaches and disappeared into the maze of the property.

I am not sure that the staff can be blamed for the lack of service or misdirected energy, I think the management is to blame for the ever present lack of training and inconsistent service levels. After all, even the managers themselves did not demonstrate consistency in service and were not available when needed. When I arrived at the property a very nice front desk attendant efficiently handled the check in process and one of the managers stopped by and said hello, all very nice. I was then escorted through the spa and dining room on the way to my room, and once at the room the attendant opened the door and said, "and this is your room". In a blink, he was gone. I observed several other guests check in over the next couple days and watched the same manager give them a full tour of the property with detailed explanation of all the amenities, both in their room and property wide. I am still not sure why this same manager did not find it necessary to show the same level of customer service and respect to me. For example, I had to read on the hotel's website, after I returned home from holiday, that the jacuzzi, plunge pool, herbal steam room, showers and locker facilities in the spa could be used by the guests. I wonder what else I missed out on?

All in all, I just cannot recommend this property to my friends or enemies. Clearly father Relais Chateau is not watching over his properties very well any more........

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for staying at Satri House and for posting such a detailed comment following to your stay.

In one hand, we're glad that you find the hotel wonderful at first sight but in an other hand we feel very concerned about the issues that you met during your stay.

Regarding our Spa, we have various options and a large panel of spa treatments. Our price are depending on the type of massage and how long you want to have. We offer a high quality service for the massage with professional employees.

We're sorry that you didn't find our 2 swimming pools nice enough. The green color has been studied to be more discret and in relation with our garden and plants around it.
The building surrounding the swimming pool is the last house of the Prince of Laos (Unesco heritage) and you may feel like to be in the garden because we want to keep this idea of Royal property.

Be aware that we gave your feedback to the staff who were concerned in your comment and to all the managers of the hotel. Our guest's satisfaction is really important for us.
We are making sure that all our staff will be more devoted to our clients and will take properly care of any request.
We are really suprised by your check-in experience as well. We always make sure that our guest will see the hotel facilities before going to the room and will get a full description of the room itself. We will investigate to know which supevisor did it wrong and to prevent this kind of mistakes in the future. We are truly sorry for this disagreement about the room explanation and we assure you that it was not in our purpose.

If you want to offer us the pleasure to come back to Luang Prabang, we will be more than happy to welcome you again and to reach all your expectations to enjoy your stay with us.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further information.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

Before I get to the real reason for this review, I will say this property was tastefully restored although a bit disjointed in terms of its layout. Ok....I have provided you with the good. For the record, I have traveled around the world for both personal and professional reasons, so I understand what to expect in a hotel that bills itself as a luxury property.

Now on to the bad, and there's a lot!

1. The telephone system was not working for the entire 3 days that I was there. This means that if you needed anything you had to schlep down to the front desk and ask in person. This got very old, very quickly. It had obviously been out of service for quite some time. I needed to make an outside call to my mobile service provider as I was having problems with my cell connection, and I was unable to so. This was a tremendous inconvenience.

2. The internet was down the entire 3 days that I was at the hotel. Management kept blaming it on the weather, but it was more likely due to the telephone lines being out. All of Luang Prabang had internet service throughout that time period, so management was simply making excuses for not providing service.

3. I had just flown in from New York and had planned on relaxing poolside in order to deal with the jet lag. This hotel is billed as the picture of serenity. Nothing could be further from the truth. There were 20+ construction workers and gardeners doing intensive labor including brick cutting, brick laying, drilling, sawing, etc. It was like sunning on a construction sight. It was absolutely abysmal. When confronted, management assured me that they would be done no later than 5pm. As it was only 3pm, I ventured into town in the sweltering heat to escape the noise and find internet service (which was readily available in multiple locations). My first day was ruined by management's poor consideration of its guests.

4. I scheduled a wake up call for my last morning. Of course, since there were no telephones, management offered to knock on the door in the morning. Surprisingly, they did not, and I overslept. When confronted, management lied and said that they had been to my room. I am a very light sleeper, and no one knocked on the door to wake me up. This was typical of the type of service, or lack-there-of, that is offered at the hotel.

5. Breakfast is a total joke. The portions are small, and there is no real selection. I know that this had been mentioned in other reviews, and it is true. For example, the eggs are served with a half slice of bacon. Seriously? Fresh bread and croissants in Laos are actually very good. However, at the Satri House, they were rather stale, almost hard.

6. One afternoon I decided to go to the pool, and the water was a milky color as if the filter was not working. In addition, it was making a gurgling sound like a stopped toilet. Yikes! I asked one of the random staff meandering about the hotel what the problem was, and he shyly told me that they hadn't cleaned the pool that day because it had rained in the morning. It was absolutely disgusting. As such, I was unable to refresh poolside in the extreme heat.

7. The location of this property is on a random street outside of town. It is about a 10 minute walk to town center. There are many, many properties much closer, so I actually found this to be a minus, especially since there is nothing charming about the actual location of this hotel. Outside the gates, people are cooking on the sides of the street, kids are playing in dirt yards, and at night, people sit around listening to loud boom boxes. It's actually a little creepy.

8. When I was there, the hotel was relatively empty. That being said, this did not mean that the service was any better. It was not uncommon to see groups of people lounging around doing nothing. However, whenever you needed something (e.g. a towel at the pool), there was no one to be found. It was infuriating.

9. I did not book this hotel on my own. I actually used a 3rd party out of the U.K., specializing in high end private travel in Asia. I conveyed to them all of my issues, and management essentially conveyed back to my travel people that I was lying. I have NEVER had to deal with such a ridiculous situation at a property that bills itself as "luxury". Management should have acknowledged the problems and assisted me in making things right (a room upgrade, a massage, something!) This place was a disaster, and instead of trying to make things right, they simply said that I did not know what I was talking about or that I was misinformed. WOW!

10. Upon checking out of the hotel, management presented me with a bill. I was a little shocked since I had fully prepaid, and had not used any services at the hotel. The bill was for the replacement of a broken shampoo bottle in the shower of the hotel. At this point, I had had enough, and simply walked out of the hotel, never looking back.

The hotel received 1 star for the look of the actual property. In my heart, it did not deserve any more given all of the issues that I encountered over my short stay. Seriously, there are many, many options at all price levels in Luang Prabang. This is one that you definitely want to avoid.

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Trendster
SatriHouseMGMT, Front Office Manager at Satri House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2013

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for staying at our hotel and for posting such a detailed review.

We are sorry to read your frustration during your stay. We really apologies for our internet problem during your stay (we are changing supplier) and for the telephone issues which will be fixed in the following days. Regarding the garden we had to make some refreshment by adding new plants and trees and we aware that our garden could have been busy for this 2 days.

Our location is at about 8-10 minutes walking from the night market and we have free bicycles that you can take to be at night market in less than 2 minutes.

We will inform the staff to pay more attention to our guest's needs and be more helpful.

Be aware that you will never meet this kind of inconveniences again in our property as most of them were exceptional and that everything will be done to guarantee a very delightful and unique stay at Satri House.

We really hope to welcome you again at our hotel to give us an opportunity to reach all your expectations and needs.