There seem to be 2 kinds of 5 star hotels. One has an army of staff, every conceivable pampering, an enormous buffet, and other signifiers of luxury. The other kind offers perfect peace, restraint, taste, and understatement. The Satri House is an example of this second kind. It has museum quality art, a lot of it. Also two swimming pools of jade green tile as well as natural pools for lotuses and turtles. The larger pool is long enough to swim laps in but the water is bracing. The bed screens (hand woven natural materials, of course) surround your poster bed in way where the gauze hangs straight and never touches the face. Such quiet and taste is simply not to be had where I come from (Washington, DC) or anywhere in else in North America, except maybe a museum after hours. Satri House seems to be affiliated with some other Asian hotels called Secret Retreats or something similar and I would search them out on my next trip to Asia.
On the down side the restaurant is too fancy for dinner (there are better choices in LP) and the breakfast menu is limited. I found the service much to my liking because it was unobtrusive and newer fawning. But if you like a big staff it might not be for you. One charming detail: they suggested a tuk-tuk to the airport rather than a more-expensive taxi. Whether or not you find this pleasing might be a good tell of whether or not this hotel is for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of the city, Satri House was built at the turn of the last century as the residence of Prince Souphanouvong. This building owns to Unesco Heritage. Satri House was refurbished in 2002 by Mrs. Lamphoune Voravongsa and has been run since as a hotel. During 2008 and 2012 the hotel has been enlarged with the addition of more colonial style buildings consisting of 14 Deluxe rooms, 14 junior suites and 3 Satri House suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Agoda, Priceline, Ebookers, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Satri House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Satri House Hotel Luang Prabang
- Satri Hotel Luang Prabang