“Just perfect” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 70 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Sydney, Australia
“Just perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

My friend and I have just had five fabulous days in Luang Prabang, Satri house was just perfect the hotel is just stunning mixing old charm with beautiful gardens and is just so peaceful. We had a room near the small pool on the ground floor which was very comfortable and well serviced with a lovely large bathroom. All the staff were so helpful and polite,nothing was too much trouble and everyone took time to talk to us each day. We felt very welcome and at home there. We used the spa which was very relaxing and the restaurant, where the food was amazing, but more expensive than the good places in the town and very quiet.
If you want peace and quiet and the bonus of being able to walk or jump in a tuk tuk for the short ride into town then this hotel is ideal.It doesn't have super modern bathrooms and shiny TV,s or an expansive breakfast buffet with endless services. However it has wonderful staff with great service in a beautifully decorated boutique environment that more than exceeded our expectations. I know what I prefer and we will be back because of this.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe twin room 612 on the ground floor near the lily pond and small pool.It was very quie...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Lamphoune V, Manager at Satri House, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Ms. Trudie

Thank you for taking the time to write and giving detailed feedback of your recent experiences at Satri House.
We are delighted about your positive comments on the service and our hotel. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and I have shared these thoughts with the people concerned.
Ms. Trudie, we hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel one day.

Best regards,
Keomany Vixiane
Operation Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

The Satri House was the place to stay even though it was much more expensive than other comparable hotels. The place was more a house than a hotel. In a way it went well with the town of Luang Prabang since two of them set the mood back by decades in time. Our group of four drove there in our SUV and spent two nights in Luang Prabang before heading back to Bangkok via Vang Vieng and Viengthein. Therefore our highlight of the whole trip was in Luang Prabang. The highlight of our activities was the offering food to Buddhist monks.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Lamphoune V, Manager at Satri House, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Mr. Charn P ,

Following your recent stay at Satri House, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a comment.
We appreciate your kind comments on the quality of our property.

we do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Satri House on a future occasion.

Yours sincerely,
Keomany Vixiane
Operation Manager
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

My wife and I spent 2 weeks traveling around South East Asia for our honeymoon in June 2014 and this hotel was the best lodging we experienced. We can't recommend it enough. It lies a ten minute walk from the main streets of Luang Prabang (just enough to wake you up at 5:30am if you want to check out the ceremonial offerings by the local townsfolk to the monks. The hotel is in amazing condition, pools, spa and our room were beautiful. The staff while speaking very little english can accomplish just about anything and are very happy to do so for you. I've never seen so many smiles. I sincerely hope we make it back for an anniversary in the years to come. Very highly recommended/

Room Tip: Didn't check out the fitness center and honestly don't remember if they have one (not the re...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SatriHouseMGMT, General Manager at Satri House, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Lars F,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of Satri House Secret Retreats.

I was delighted to read your review of your time with us. We're all thrilled that you chose the hotel for your honeymoon and found the whole experience to be faultless.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

With warmest wishes,

Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

WARNING: Do not pre pay this hotel, it is in decline.
Our stay at Satri House was most disappointing and we left early.

Our first night was unfortunately disturbed by noisy guests in the next door room (the hotel receives Chinese tour groups) so we were particularly ill prepared for the second night when we had to move rooms in the middle of the night. Many of the condensing units for the hotel’s air conditioning are situated above the second floor bedrooms on the roof, so when certain units are running bedrooms will experience uncomfortable and disturbing vibrations. A noisy air con can be overcome to some degree by wearing ear plugs, but vibration noise cannot be eliminated. So on our second night, when some other guests went to bed and turned on their air con unit, we were woken to the awful noise of their condensing unit kicking into life above our bedroom. The night staff looked around to find another room, but since this was a general problem in the hotel only one available room could be found. Unfortunately it was not big enough to properly accommodate an extra bed for our son. The following day a search was made for another room, and were offered a choice of their best rooms, but sadly as much as we liked the décor, the top suite room also suffered vibration noise and the room below smelled strongly of damp. Since no ‘quiet’ room could be offered we had to find an alternative hotel, which was a shame as we had only a few days in which to enjoy Luang Prabang. We sought out a comparable hotel and moved to the Luang Say Residence, which was lovely and can certainly be recommended. It was clean and fresh, lots of staff and an incredibly beautiful clear pool.

The hotel has been attractively laid out but it seems to be in decline. There was an overall feel of tiredness, it did not feel fresh and clean, the cushions were dirty, some ornaments in the room were damaged, the fan on our balcony was broken and replaced by another broken one, the light fitting in the toilet leaked water and the main pool appeared to have a filter problem, or not adequately maintained. The second little pool was clear, but the cushions in the sala nearby were so disgustingly dirty that several towels needed to be placed upon them to feel comfortable to use them.

Another low point were the dining tables, which were stained with shoe polish or something similar. At breakfast we came away with brown stains on our arms and legs! It was fortunate that it did not come into contact with our clothes. My swimsuit however was less fortunate as one of the hotel staff moved my damp swimsuit onto a wooden towel rail and the stain could not be removed. The swimsuit was ruined – compensation was not made despite charging a previous guest for breaking a cheap glass shampoo bottle (an easy accident in a wet area). The young hotel manager was charming and did his best and in the hope of making us feel better about lack of compensation from the owner offered a free a massage, but we had already packed to leave the hotel.

The restaurant looked lovely and the food was mostly fine, but it was empty and overpriced and whilst some of our costs were refunded against this, it did not in any significant way refund the money owed to us, or to compensate, as the hotel claimed, against the swimsuit.

Our early departure for reasonable reasons, as the hotel could offer the basics of a quiet room, and the subsequent handling of the situation left us with the feeling that the hotel was a little desperate for money.

Staff could only be found by searching them out, although once found they were very pleasant and helpful. It used to be part of the prestigious Relais and Chateaux group but has since been dropped. The hotel now advertises quite widely, and is included by ‘Mr & Mrs Smith’ which I found surprising as I would not consider it a suitable standard for their clientele.

We have since had dialogue with the hotel but the situation of money owing was not resolved.

Room Tip: downstairs rooms as they don't have air con condenser units above them, but still bring the ear...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Liz W
Dear Liz W,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and given detailed feedback of your recent experiences at Satri House.

Please let me start by saying how sorry I am for all the frustrations and the series of problems you had to experience while staying at our hotel. We have built a reputation, over the years, for flawless service and I am distressed that we fell far short of your expectations and our own standards.

I understand that you chose Satri House because of this reputation.
We have worked hard over the years to communicate any possible problems quickly and I am embarrassed that we did not solve the problems while you were staying with us.

I do appreciate the time you spent detailing your visit, as this allows me the opportunity to sit down with all the various teams to learn, revisit procedures and to make certain our quality control standards are followed consistently. I assure you that your experience is the exception rather than the norm.

As you are aware, we've made the appropriate rebate to compensate the damaged swim suit.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you again for your feedback.

With my apologies and warm personal regards,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

This is a beautiful hotel, with unusual features. A lot of care and consideration has been taken in the design of this boutique hotel. Special little touches such as the crystal bottles containing soap and conditioner in the bathrooms. Beautiful large bathrooms with unusual green tiles. I loved the antiques placed in strategic positions all over the old house. A Homes and Gardens magazine gem! My one big complaint, which I am sure will not be answered as I have complained and had no response to date. Is that the wine we ordered from room service was an extortionate price, in my calculation it came to £70 for one bottle of white wine. No room service menu was provided so consequently I was not able to see the price otherwise I would not have ordered it. My shock and horror when I received my final bill was upsetting! Hey! Ho! I paid but was duped! So no full marks from me for a beautiful hotel. Travellers beware! The staff were very attentive thank you for that. Despite my upsetting experience I would return, but go else where for my wine and pay £20 for an excellent bottle!

Room Tip: We stayed next to the Lilly pond, a room with a verandah. All very special.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Elizabeth W
SatriHouseMGMT, General Manager at Satri House, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you very much for taking time and sharing your overall experience about your stay at Satri House.

We're glad to read that you enjoyed the decoration and the whole property.
I'm truly sorry that you were not shown the information book in the room with all the menu inside and price. We always take care of our guest's needs and satisfaction, so therefore, we will make sure that this information will not be missed anymore.

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Warm regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed 5 nights at Satri House and really loved it! It is tucked away on the outskirts but we walked into town with ease. It is very quiet within its own very carefully maintained grounds with lush gardens and welcoming pool. You can feel the history of the hotel and it is a fine mix of older style building but modernised and extended. We stayed in room 223 which proved to be very quiet. It had its own balcony, large bed and spacious bathroom. The dark wood interiors provide a cooling effect. The breakfasts are very good with plenty of choice and constant supply of top ups. We also had a very good dinner on one night but took advantage of the many restaurants in town. The hotel is part of a French owned group and we were very well looked after by the manager and his local staff.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Simon S
Dear Simon S,

Thank you very much for taking time and sharing your feedback following to your last stay in Satri House.
We are glad to read that you loved the property's charm and that you found the staff friendly and helpful.
We very much appreciate your comment and hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Best regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

When we discovered this secret address 2 years ago, my wife (girlfriend back then) knew this would be the perfect place for a dreamy and magic wedding. A little fun thought that was set to become reality.
After a year long of preparation, and lots of coordination between ourselves and the lovely management and staff, all was absolutely perfect on D-day to create what has been the most amazing and happy day of our life.
Satri House is by essence a boutique hotel, in its scale and atmosphere and provides you the domestic feel that one looks for on their travel but also the very discreete but efficient assistance of friendly and smiley staff.
Our wedding happened exactly a year ago now and after having travelled the world since, whether in mexico, japan, morocco or portugal, we can definitely say that satri house is the best boutique experience we have found in the world...so far and we will definitely be back.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laurent T
SatriHouseMGMT, General Manager at Satri House, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Laurent,

Thank you so much for sharing your impression following to your stay with us.

It was a great pleasure to have the team of Satri House involved in this very special day.
We're very glad and proud that you enjoyed every moment with us.

All the team of Satri House is renewing their best wishes to you and your wife.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you again at Satri House.

All the best,