“Great value for money”

Ranked #22 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Melbourne
“Great value for money”
Reviewed 14 March 2007

I have just returned from a three week trip to Laos and this was the best hotel I stayed at, especially given the reasonable price. The location is central, rooms very clean and aircon (which you will need!) was strong and not too noisy. The staff were very friendly. The restaurant is great. There is some noise as other reviewers have mentioned but that is Laos for you.

My only word of warning - while I was there, there was clearly an overbooking for some other guests. The Apsara seems to work off a handwritten schedule. I suggest that you confirm prior to arrival.

• Stayed February 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank carnage99

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 February 2007

We spent four nights at the Apsara in Jan 2007 and simply can't wait to return. We booked a downstairs deluxe room and loved the convenience of having a balcony that fronted right on to the street and river opposite. It also meant we were right next to the restuarant & bar any time we wanted something. I loved their "can do" attitude. If guests want a G&T on their balcony, it's absolutely no trouble at all. Service was always friendly and never obtrusive. As a same-sex couple we had absolutely no discomfort staying here (apart from some American guests...but that's their issue to deal with...).

Our room was beautifully and tastefully furnished and kept spotlessly clean by housekeeping. The bathroom was large - perhaps the only small gripes being that the bath is high so despite being fit and young it was an adventure stepping in an out. by design, there is no shower curtain meaning that the floor got wet. Also, while there is sop in the room, no shampo or other amenities were provided.

These really are the only tiny things I could find at the Apsara that weren't entirely positive. Dinner was a great experience - though be warned, servings are enormous!! We loved the simplicity of the continental breakfast - especially the homemade preserves and the delicious fresh baguettes.

I can't wait to return to Luang Prabang, and I wouldn't dream of staying anywhere other than the Apsara

• Liked — Gorgeous rooms. Fab location. a perfect Hotel experience.
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SydneyStephen
USA
Reviewed 22 January 2007

I booked a specific room months in advance, knowing how popular ihe Inn is, and contacted them from time to time to make sure my reservation was in order. Just before leaving for Luang Prabang, I asked if I had a balcony, and was assured that yes, I did. When I arrived, at 2:30 PM, I was told by the manager that there was a problem, and they had no room for me, but not to worry, they would put me up in their "Villa". A traditional house of Luang Prabang, which looked like a haunted house in a little woods. The windows were boarded up, because there were no screens or panes, the bathroom was down steep steps in a cellar, with two burned out lightbulbs. There was no hot water to bathe and a sign said, that although they tried hard to keep them out, "critters could be present". I saw endless possiblities of entry. Four pages of e-mails had assured me that I would have a room in the main house overlooking the river, and instead, my room was given away! I raced back to the Inn to be assured that I would have the room I was supposed to have the next night, but the Manager was gone, and they could not find my name on the ledger (tho they did have my e-mails). I walked back to the Haunted House, which had no outside lighting, having to swing over the picket gate with difficulty because it was impossible to see the padlock to unlock, and then groped my way down the dark path, and had to feel to find the door lock in the dark. O Conde Nast and New York Times, would that you could have had my experience at this "Classy Establishment"! I bolted the place at dawn. BEWARE!!!!

Stayed January 2007
12 Thank IGoEverywherel
Singapore
Reviewed 18 January 2007

The Apsara first caught my attention in Herbert Ypma’s HIP Hotels Orient. Before that, I had no idea where Luang Prabang was. Thanks to the write-up, I surfed the Internet for more information on the ancient capital of Laos. I was so inspired by what I read that I decided to make a trip there… of course, The Apsara was on my must stay list.

It was a good thing I booked The Apsara five months ahead of my trip (I was there first week of Jan 07). The hotel was fully booked by Dec! It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out why this hotel is so hot! But if you must know, here are the reasons why:

Best Location

Located along the Nam Kham River, this hotel is the perfect place to monk watch. Yes, many novice monks would walk past the hotel most of the day, adding to the charm and colour of the neighbourhood which is very peaceful even though there is a main road in front of the hotel. By the way, I did not have any problems with traffic noise as there was hardly any traffic to speak of!

For fans of the Tak Bat, a morning ritual where hundreds of monks line up in a single file to collect alms, the hotel is a monk’s robe throw away from Sakkarine Road, which is the best place to soak in the action.

Best Restaurant

So chic that it hurts, The Apsara restaurant is packed every night for dinner. Again, it doesn’t take a genius to guess why. The Laos Fusion food is fabulicious with a good wine list and many say, the best Martini in town. Useful Tip: Reservations are strongly recommended. On the night I was there, I saw many people being turned away. I felt so bad for them…

Pity about the breakfast which was a disappointment. I had expected a sumptuous spread, but it only had toast, fresh fruits, orange juice and coffee or tea. If it’s any consolation, the homemade jams are quite yummy.

Best Room

My Superior Upstairs Room in the main building is very spacious like a junior suite! Huge enough to fit in a king bed and a day bed! The open-concept bathroom comes with a separate shower and bath. Clean with adequate hot shower. Best of all, I had my own balcony which offers lovely views of the Nam Khan River.

The décor is minimalist chic with baby blue organza curtains, matching cushions and throws. Colourful glass Buddhas also adorn the room. I was so smitten by them, I actually bought one of them home!

Only problem with the room is the creaky wooden floor.

Best Staff

One would think that for such a trendy establishment, the staff would be snotty. But thankfully, it was not the case. The staff are a down to earth friendly bunch including the proprietor, Ivan Scholte whom I had the privilege to meet. They are like a big family, always smiling and very accommodating. Their service is best described as sincere, not over the top.

To sum up, this boutique hotel has possibly the best of everything you could ever want in Luang Prabang. I had a wonderful two nights stay and my only regret is not staying there longer. I really miss sitting in my balcony every morning and late afternoon admiring the expansive river views and watching the neighbourhood kids playing soccer in the streets. If you want to experience the simple pleasures of Luang Prabang, then The Apsara is the place to be!

• Liked — The unbeatable location, service and designer rooms.
  • Disliked — The breakfast which I hope they would improve by having hot dishes.
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled solo
20 Thank limchih
Sacramento
Reviewed 9 January 2007

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel is very proximate to what you want to see but overlooking the Nam Khan river (across the street), it's a quieter area than the LP peninsula center or Mekong side. There can be a bit of noise at night as sometimes guys gather across the street to chat and we heard loud music once or twice - not from the hotel.

The staff was helpful with advice and setting up day trips. The restaurant was great - we also enjoyed the eggplant salad and a lime, alcoholic drink whose name I can't recall. Very convenient to be able to go down and get a drink or some good food whenever you want. The room was quite large with a high ceiling. There is limited clothes hanging space. The balcony was small (see pic) but we used it a lot to sit with our cocktails and watch the street.

The word "quaint" would be used to describe this hotel in the US. It is not shiny and sleek - the halls have marks on the walls and they aren't well lit. But it feels wonderful.

We would recommend the Elephant and the Villa Santi for somewhat pricey dinners and the Tamarind for cheap but great Lao food sampler plates at lunch.

• Liked — Large rooms and great location
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Tips/Secrets — Second story with balcony rooms are worth the extra 10 or 15 bucks
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple