“Beautiful setting but pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Lao Spirit Resort

Lao Spirit Resort
Ranked #18 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
queensland
“Beautiful setting but pricey”
Reviewed 10 December 2012

We enjoyed our three days at this beautiful place but felt that for the prices they charge a few little extras would have made all the difference. The bungalows are very pretty with a stunning vew but there was no fan on the terrace and it became too hot to sit there at times. There is no air conditioning which was fine while we stayed there. The restaurant was quite good though it seemed again to be a little penny pinching, such as some choice of breakfasts did not allow you to have juice. We did an excellent trek whilst there with a really good guide, but also did a kayaking trip which seemed very expensive for the time we spent on the water. Wifi was only useable in the reception area. All in all it was a good stay but we felt that for what it cost it was a little basic in terms of amenities.

1 Thank sunshinecoastal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 26 November 2012

When travelling through Laos we stayed at the Lao Spirit Resort for three days. Very beautiful well-kept area with 5 stylish bungalows with view overlooking the Nam Khan river. All are equipped with a panorama the balcony, a dreamlike view the nature has. The friendly staff greeted us at once and we were brought to the most beautiful bungalow I have ever seen. Polished, dark wood. A big comfortable bed. Beautiful furniture. An amazing outdoor shower. In the restaurant we enjoyed breakfast with a beautiful view, and had a wide selection of food and drinks. All was freshly prepared, and came from the region. The breakfast was inclusive, the prices for the offered dishes and snacks in the restaurant were appropriate. Generally, the staff was always personally concerned with my well-being, and we constantly felt well-cared for.
The best places we ever stayed at. Definitely an experience of its own.

2 Thank brad2609
herts
Reviewed 24 November 2012

This place looks promising. Just 5 bungalows high over the river Nam Khan? The rooms are luxury basic but with very large outdoor showers. No AC and no TV and despite an assurance of a strong wi-fi signal we could not even detect a network on any device anywhere in the resort.
There are no phones in the room so if you want anything you have to walk to the all day restaurant.
However here is the problem; the staff speak either poor or no english (except the lady on reception) and so getting anything ordered takes forever or the wrong thing turns up.

We discovered by accident that the set menu for dinner was only a third as long as the full menu. This was apparently negotiated by the tour firms who dont want the full a la carte offered. Now this is a shame because the full menu is lovely and the Lao food we had was excellent. Nems which were fabulously light followed by pork and ginger that was first class. We also had excellent green curry. In fact the full a a carte is ridiculously cheap and the property should refuse to go along with the tour companies.
Wine and drinks are very inexpensive but again it took an age to get the wine we had ordered.

The property needs a pool and spa to help relieve the days exhaustion after trekking and riding elephants.
A good start but attention to detail will make this place a must visit.

Meanwhile the tented camp in Chaing Rai is the pinnacle of this type of resort. A shame it cost 10 times more.

Room Tip: They are all the same but some front directly to the river
2 Thank HertsFred
london
Reviewed 14 November 2012

We spent 2 days here, after 2 days in Luang Prabang town. It was a complete change. It is quite isolated, and accessible via a very dusty and rocky road. Your'e not quite sure what to expect. When you arrive, you are greeted by a very quiet and serene place. There is not much to do at the place itself, so don't expect lots of fun stuff. Its just a place to unwind and take in the peace and beauty of the place.
There are only 5 bungalows, so its never busy. The rooms themselves are very attractivly done out and have ceiling fans. There is no AC, as it would not be keeping with the eco friendly theme of the place. The fans are adequate though.
Watch out for the gekco that seems to live in number 1 and 2. It is a bit unsettling at first, but you get quite use to it when you know what the noise is coming from. You may never see Norman (Thats what we took to calling the geko), but you will hear him.

There are treks that you can go on. We went for a 4km trek. Its not too bad, as long as you keep hydrated, and wear long sleeves and trousers. Don't go in shorts. You will be bitten to pieces.
We are vegeterians, and food is always an issue for us whenever we go anywhere. They do have some veggy choice at the resteraunt, but not huge. Keep some snacks in you room in case you get hungry.
Overall, a great place to jus chill out. Would go back.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank khayam m
Los Angeles
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We were told by friends that this resort was the best trip experience of their lives. That seemed like high praise, but it is indeed an incredible place. We are not people who crave isolation, but somehow the Lao Spirit makes it very special and not remotely lonely. We did the package with an elephant walk, a trek to a neighboring village of 682 people (one of the best experiences) and a swim in a waterfall. An amazing day. The rooms are lovely, with very comfortable beds and a wonderful bathroom (with a great outdoor shower). The restaurant is great with an extensive menu. The entire staff is delightful. It's a great value, but more importantly a great experience.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jennifer F
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Reviewed 28 October 2012

When travelling through Laos I decided to stay at the Lao Spirit Resort for three days. I was picked up in wonderful Luang Prabang by the always nice and helpful manager. After a short drive through dreamy landscapes and small villages, we arrived at what seemed like a beautiful garden surrounded by thick jungle. The friendly staff greeted me at once and I was brought to the most beautiful bungalow I have ever seen. Polished, dark wood. A big comfortable bed. Beautiful furniture. An amazing outdoor shower. Sitting on my terrace I had the most wonderful view of the river and the surreal mountain range beyond. Everything was so peaceful and serene. While relaxing on my terrace, I felt as if I was there all on my own, but whenever I needed something, there was always someone there to help me out with a lovely smile. The restaurant was superb. I didn't book any of the treks, but I decided to walk to the next village by myself. When the manager's assistant heard of my plans, she told me that one of the staff's members was about to walk to her home in the village, and that she could take me with her so I wouldn't get lost. I gladly accepted. The village itself was a dreamlike experience. A warm and beaming "Sabaideee" followed me wherever I went. On another afternoon I enjoyed a relaxing massage by a young local on my terrace. Since I didn't bring any device with me, the staff also gladly lent me one of their laptops to use in the reception house.

All in all one of the best places I ever stayed at. Definitely an experience of its own.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MaxWS
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2012

We stayed at the Lao Spirit Resort for 2 nights while on our honeymoon last year and we had such a great stay!
The bungalows are beautiful and have been really well thought out. I particularly liked the outdoor shower room and the large terrace.
The food was superb and good value, especially considering the remote location of the resort.
The staff were lovely, very friendly and helpful.
There is an elephant sanctuary around a 10 minute walk from the resort, along a well-worn but fairly tricky path. We took an elephant ride through the river, which was lots of fun! We also walked along to the nearby village where there are a few small, local, shops and a small temple. We stopped for a Beerlao to watch the world go by.
We booked a hill-tribe trek which was hard going in the rain, but really worthwhile, especially as we'd booked massages on our terrace for when we returned. I would highly recommend a massage - it was amazing to be massaged whilst looking across the river valley to the mountains beyond and listening to sounds of the jungle.
Lao Spirit Resort really feels like you've left the world behind, we left feeling renewed and revitalised.

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone, however people who have difficulties walking would find it hard to make the most of this fabulous place.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple