“Tranquil and Natural”

Ranked #23 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Tranquil and Natural”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We were on a 11 day motorcycle tour of Laos when we stopped at Laos Spirit Resort for a couple days. We chose it because it's just a short walk away from the Elephant Village but we were surprised just how tranquil and beautiful the lodge is. The Nam Khan river flows by it and you'll get a bit of boat noise but it's not too bad. If you like a natural and peaceful place this is it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HuggyBearHonolulu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We actually stayed here a while ago, and have been meaning to submit a review for quite some time. This is still one of our absolute favorite / most memorable stays -- and as active travelers, we tend to be very critical.

The resort is well worth the trip out of touristy Luang Prabang to experience the beauty and quiet of Laos. Highlights include the beautifully appointed private hut-style rooms, indoor/outdoor shower, outstanding views, hikes and excursions. We enjoy walking and found ourselves exploring the area fully -- a small nearby village, the elephant park nearby, another resort relatively close.

The service and attention to detail were impeccable, down to the Hmong hand-crafted hearts on our beds and restaurant service.

Hope to go back sometime in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shaun K
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed in Lao Spirit Resort during our tour around Asia. We opted to book at this place because we were attracted by the fact that we were going to stay at one of the villas and experience the great outdoors. The outdoor adventures were really fun and challenging. I had to walk a mile and hike in the woods, something that I wouldn’t do when I’m at home. The location is truly breathtaking and you get to experience mother nature at her best in Asia.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DKendraB
Larchmont, New York
Reviewed 30 December 2013

If you want a place that is a bit off the beaten track (not far off, but a bit) and you want to be surrounded by quiet and nature and do not want the trappings of a large, commercial resort -- then this classic (and classy) place will charm you. The accommodation is lovely-- broad plank, polished teak floors, large beds with mosquito canopies, enchanting old style lighting, outdoor showers, and a beautiful porch with a view of the river -- if you are a writer i think this place would be an excellent retreat (and there is a writing desk on the porch...) --
the restaurant was excellent-- hands down. the baguettes, i know have been mentioned in other reviews-- but it is worth mentioning them again-- breakfast was great-- try the lemongrass tea-- SO good-- our dinners were also superb- the noodle soup was wonderful, spring rolls and lao tempura -- and i cannot remember everything my family ate (but it was a substantial amount-- trust me. i have a 14 yr old boy) but it was all excellent. Also, I (but not my family) am a vegetarian, (though i do eat dairy) and i found the menu to be full of options for a vegetarian --
I have to mention the staff-- Channy, the manager (i think that would be the correct title) is just lovely and so nice -- she was very responsive to my emails (almost an instant response! seriously i am not sure she sleeps!). the young persons (whose names i will not be able to spell, but two lovely young women and a young man) were just lovely to speak with and very attentive.
The resort helped us organize two tours-- one hike to a village with a visit to the elephants and tad Sae waterfalls-- this was a great trip-- if you have kids-- it really is something to do -- tad sae is a bit of a scene, but the kids had a blast and the hike to the Khmu village was really great --our guide, (hirlee-- this is surely not spelled right) was khmu so was very knowledgeable about the khmu , spoke the khmu dialect and was really informative about the khmu people. on our second day we wanted a more challenging day (but our children did not!) so we were able to organize for them (they are 17 and 14-- so not small) to go back to to Tad Sae for a zip line tour while we did a 6 hour trek thru the hills and a different Khmu village and a Hmong village--this was a highlight of our Laos vacation-- truly - the scenery was simply amazing, our guide, Si (again, probably not spelled right-- but pronounced like 'sigh') was Hmong and we talked a lot about hmong culture, the history of the hmong in laos and elsewhere,and he showed us many different plants and fruits along the way -- this was a fairly strenuous hike-- so undertake it only if you are in pretty good shape.
lastly, i would like to note the culture of the resort--they make it a point of being eco friendly and giving back to the local area-- they provide educational opportunities and training for the persons they employ --
we truly, truly enjoyed our 3 nights here--

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank spinny
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 21 December 2013

We just had one night here - would have loved a couple more. The setting is just glorious, beautiful views and delightfully landscaped surroundings. Accommodations is in good sized villas on stilts, set well apart from each other. The verandah is a particularly lovely place to sit quietly, look at the view over the countryside, or even have a snooze in the comfortable chairs which is what we ended up doing after a long journey. We also enjoyed the sizeable outdoor shower - but if you don't fancy that the bathroom is lovely and has an indoor bath. The villas are comfortable but relatively rustic - a ceiling fan in place of air con, no fridge or tv. That just adds to the lovely peaceful feeling of the place to my mind. The restaurant serves some wonderful local food and is particularly beautiful when it is lit in the evening. Staff were all delightful and we felt very welcome indeed. There are walks to do in the local area, trips on the river, and elephant trekking. Bear in mind that the Lao Spirit is a long way out of Luang Prabang - so you might want to combine some lovely relaxing days here with a stay in town.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pixie_dot
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I am not a quest who is easy to please and this venue was absolutely faultless. Whilst not perhaps being easy to get to, this is one of its charms - peace and quiet!

The resort consists of a small number of spacious villas, each on stilts and all facing the river. They are sensibly positioned to give total privacy. Each Villa consists of a huge private verandah (I was in number 2), which faces the river (out of sight) and the jungle. The view was breath taking, especially at twilight. All furnishings are rustic and in keeping with the overall "jungle retreat" atmosphere.

The main room consisted of a large bed, complete with a huge very effective mosquito net and wooden furniture. There are purposely no TVs or telephones, though there is wifi in all villas and in the restaurant. There was a stone rustic bathroom complete with tub, and also a very private outdoor shower room that was tile and stone and open to the sky. I paid 60 pounds sterling per night.

I stayed for 2 nights and had a full day there. I never left the resort. That was my intention as I wanted some down time amongst nature and I get that. It was heaven.

The doors to the room open directly onto the verandah and are glass and wood. They open wide and I never closed them. It was wonderful to sleep like that. The view in the morning as I lay in bed was almost emotive.

A simple breakfast was included and served in the restaurant. Dinner could be taken there and whilst being a little more expensive than in the city, the food was delicious and ample. I must mention the baguettes. Apparently these are purchased at a bakery in Luang Prabang however I have never tasted anything like them, including during multiple visits to France! I could not get enough of them. Thankfully, at breakfast, you can ask for more! :-)

On arrival, I was welcomed by the duty receptionist who was basically the Assistant Manager. She spoke excellent English and was clearly willing to invest time with me. Everything was explained and I was taken to my villa (my bags had already miraculously arrived from where my transport dropped me off). I was shown every feature of the room and then left in peace.

At checkout, whilst I was at breakfast, my bags again vanished and were automatically placed in the shuttle van.

The resort offers Airport Transfers at $25 each way however this was automatically reduced to $10 as there were several other people transferring at the same time.

Have I mentioned the amazing baguettes?

Room Tip: Don't forget to try the baguettes! :-)
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

We had a very relaxing stay at this charming and rustic accommodation. Despite its shortcomings - it didn't have a refrigerator and the restaurant food was up and down - the staff were lovely, their smiles reassuring and nothing was too hard. Our highlight was a full day trek through the local cultural and natural environment with the two Joys ( we had two guides both named Joy). They were informative, helpful and cheerful. The scenery was spectacular, and the two Khmu villages and the Hmong village beguiling and thought provoking. A question for readers visiting the Indochina region: where have all the birds gone? Look to the skies. Azure blue meets verdant green with no bird in sight. I have a theory based on the regions recent turbulent history. By the way, the local waterfall is more like a fun park with elephant rides, than anything worth relaxing at. Very crowded - and we visited in the low season. Overall a very worthwhile stay at the Lao Spirit Resort.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple