“Totally relaxing stay”
Review of Kamu Lodge

Kamu Lodge
Ranked #36 of 71 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Reviewed 2 April 2014

If you want to escape from the hustle and bustle of cities and modern devices, look no further Kamu Lodge Experience. I have to call this a hideaway. Far from the city, located in the midst of Laos' jungles, you'll see only the greenery like me. The 3-hour cruise trip on the Mekong River to reach Kamu Lodge was an amazing experience , the beautiful landscapes along the river and the local people daily activities were all new and attracting to me.

The tent is comfortable, mattress is smooth. I love relaxing on chairs at the tent's veranda. A soft trekking through Kamu Village and the jungle was great. I had a great time with the cute kids at the neighbouring village in the afternoon and in the evening when they entertained me and other guests with beautiful traditional songs and dance.

Never worry to get bored at the lodge 'cause a lot of activities like farming, fishing, archery...etc will keep you busy all day. I even didn't have enough time to take them all.

Kamu Lodge Experience is really a must for those who love nature and need some breaks to relax and get refreshed. I really recommend it!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Vivian N

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I stayed one night at Kamu Lodge whilst on a Mekong Cruise as part of a holiday with my adult son who is working in Thailand. We both thought it was a wonderful place - beautiful to look at - at night the restaurant and bar look as though they are floating on the rice paddies, with the walkways to them lit up by flares. There are beautiful flowers everywhere. The tents were extremely comfortable, the staff very friendly and helpful. Our host Oliver was very welcoming and we had a really fun evening over a delicious dinner. I wish we had been staying longer.
Annie and Daniel

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Anne B
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This is an Eco lodge on the Mekong river about two hours from Luang Prabang. You stay in a tent, albeit a tent with tiled floor! Excellent solar powered accommodation with comfortable bed and an adequate shower. We stayed one night and the evening meal and breakfast were good. There is a local village close by which is interesting to visit to see how the poor people live. The staff were all very welcoming.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tony66
Reviewed 27 February 2014

This is a stunning location but.... We felt the food was the worst we had eaten in SE Asia. The attention to detail was very poor and it didn't make the best of its Eco credentials. Stinky bathrooms. The tents were ok but one had mould under the bed covers and the other had holes. We like the quiet in touristy village but that was linked to the location. The manager yelled at the staff in front of us. Not good. Our guide for the activities was lovely. The staff were lovely too but maybe needed a little gentle direction.

Room Tip: For less able bodies travellers this is not the place.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Hilary H
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Sometimes it is just the accommodation that is special. This whole experience from boarding the boat, the trip up the Mekong, the history of the Kamu people and walking through the village to appreciate their way of life was also great. Accommodation was comfortable and the food was typical of the region and enjoyable.
Highly recommend this experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Keith012
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We spent one night here I really wish we had booked for 2 nights. The boat trip along the mekong river was spectacular. When we arrived at Kamu lodge we were welcomed with a drink and shown to our tents which are amazing and comfortable. The food was delicious and very well presented. After our evening meal the local children put on a show for the guests we all sat around a camp fire whilst the children sang and danced it was truly magical. We just loved this place it's faultless and a must to visit if you are in this area.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave Sue H
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I was a bit apprehensive about exploring Laos for the first time, especially since the trip was going to be with my dad and we don’t really see things eye to eye. I didn’t know that we were going to stay at this eco friendly retreat lodge. I really enjoyed the time I got to spend with my dad there and I loved how everything was set up, from the tents to the beds. We didn’t need air conditioning at night because it was really cold, good thing we were provided with warm comforters and sheets. I enjoyed doing outdoor activities too. I tried planting rice with the locals and looked for gold. This is a nice place for a retreat from the busy world.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple