“Nice place and people, rooms could use a little updating”

Villa Merry Lao-Swiss
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Luang Prabang
Villa Merry Lao-Swiss
Ranked #124 of 259 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Carbondale, Illinois
“Nice place and people, rooms could use a little updating”
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Had a great time during our 3 day stay here. Very nice young lady at the check in desk. Rooms were nice but AC froze up every day. Comfy beds and great spot to watch the giving of alms in the morning.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I stayed at Villa Merry Lao III two weeks ago (Feb 2012) for 4 nights.

Thu, who manages the hotel was so lovely and helpful with suggestions on places to visit, including best times to go, etc. She was so attentive that when I had returned to my room for a nap after an early start, she came to check on me when she hadn't seen me for a few hours saying she was worried I might be sick and couldn't get downstairs (I was travelling alone).

The room was a great size, very clean. I had no problem with TV reception has mentioned in a previous review, however I was on the 3rd floor and was only able to access the WiFi on the ground floor which was a little disappointing.

Location is great for dining & bars being straight across the road from most of the recommended bars, which have a curfew of about 11pm so you aren't kept up all night with noise.

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Villa Merry Lao, big thanks to Thou!

Room Tip: I stayed in a Superior Double Room (see photo) which was $28 per night. Some may consider this quite...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Singapore
Reviewed 18 February 2012

The room is big enough but quite basic. There is a television in the room but reception is horrible so you cannot really watch any channels. Free wifi is good. Breakfast provided is pretty good as well. Across from many pubs which is good for us. Staff is the biggest draw in the hostel! Receptionist is always smiley and helpful. Makes you feel really welcome in the hostel all the time!

• Stayed December 2011
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We were very comfortable at this hostel - it was well located, large and spotlessly clean - a great place to start our Mekong holiday . All the staff were very friendly, and as others have mentioned, the Receptionist, Chou, was wonderful, meeting our every need. Nice breakfast and nice atmosphere, and good security. Highly recommended, thank you Chou :)

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 16 December 2011

This hotel is in a good location. The rooms are very nice. Bathroom had a window into the room, which was a bit odd, but not really a big deal.

The staff were all lovely. Especially the young lady on reception. She was very helpful and chatty.

Breakfast was included. All very nice. I really liked this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Staff were excellent and could not be faulted for doing everything possible to make our stay as welcoming as possible. Not a big pile to do in Luang Prabang that 2 days wouldn't cover. We stayed 3 days and the location is very good for the small night life that exists. But it was more expensive than others with very little extra to show for it.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed 4 July 2011

We stayed at Villa Merry in May of 2011. My boyfriend was very sick with food poisoning that he had gotten in Hanoi the day before. The staff was incredible. Chou (I hope I'm spelling this right) was awesome! She took me to the pharmacist and helped me get medication. She switched our room immediately when the aircon didn't seem to be working (our new room was perfect and they fixed the other room the next day). We left to go on an elephant mahout training excursion and she kept our bags for us and let us pay for the stay when we got back (as we were staying another day upon return). The morning that we got back we were eating breakfast and my boyfriend fainted. She rushed us into a room on the ground floor and made him tea. When he was able to get up again she asked the staff to remake his breakfast for him. I can't say enough good things about her. She was very good company for me when he was sleeping as well. She speaks good English. The rest of the staff are really nice too, though they don't speak English. However, they were always smiling and happy. Chou made our stay in Luang Prabang even better! Definitely stay at Villa Merry Lao-Swiss!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple